PDA

View Full Version : Back from NJ section hike... freezing and wet

SGTdirtman
04-28-2006, 13:05
Made it back from a 6 day section hike through NJ, worst weather I've ever had on the trail. poured for 2 days straight and bad thunderstorms the first night then showers every evening. entire trail was pretty much flooded even uphill sections became running streams. the temp dropped to 29 degrees one night and averaged around the upper 30's the other nights. last 2 days were pretty nice during the day though and I got about 200 pictures.

discovered quickly my new tent isnt all that waterproof and my "20" degree sleeping bag is really only good to about 45. the last night I had to basicly make a bed of grass and leaves to put my tent on then stuffed the sides with more grass and hay for warmth.

I also destroyed a brand new pair of boots that I was "testing" for use as hiking boots. (I figured desert combat boots would be good since they are light and have good tread) but they pretty much fell apart within the first 2 days.

went 3 days without seeing anyone on the trail, and only met 3 other real hikers the entire trip (a few day hikers here and there)

it was fun though and I've got 3 more trips already planned before june. If anyone wants to see pics I'll get them online later tonight.

Tin Man
04-28-2006, 13:08
I've got 3 more trips already planned before june.

The weather is what the weather is. Thanks for sharing, but this part was really unnecessary. :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-28-2006, 14:09
Sorry you had such a rough trip. What tent were you using, what bag were you using and what boots were you using?

Tin Man
04-28-2006, 14:32
I didn't mean to sound cold about you being wet and cold, because I really hate when that happens to me.

SGTdirtman
04-28-2006, 20:10
oh hell regardless of the weather I had an awsome time... I wouldnt even say the weather made for a bad trip it just gave more of a challenge, and I do love to torture myself. some of the pictures and videos are hilarious.

my tent was a eureka solitare, bag was a kelty, and boots were US GI issue desert combat boots.

SGTdirtman
04-29-2006, 10:42
This was on the very first day... the soles were falling off and litterally almost flat by day 6 and my socks were clearly visible from many many parts of the boots :D

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/apexkeeper/DCP_0080.jpg

Heater
04-29-2006, 20:46
This was on the very first day... the soles were falling off and litterally almost flat by day 6 and my socks were clearly visible from many many parts of the boots :D

Aw hell. Nuthin a little Pro Seal an hunert mile an hour tape couldn't fix up!
:p

Disney
04-29-2006, 22:54
I've never heard that military issue boots are a good idea.

Sly
04-29-2006, 23:07
went 3 days without seeing anyone on the trail, and only met 3 other real hikers the entire trip (a few day hikers here and there)
What's a "real" hiker? Someone that stays out 6 days and complains about the weather and his gear? :rolleyes:

Pole Climber
04-30-2006, 07:31
I section hiked NJ this past week. I started out with a brand new pair of Vasque boots, now they look like they have 500 miles on them. Actually hiked 78 miles in 4 1/2 days. Wildlife count: 2 bears, 9 deer, 2 turkeys--
The rocks weren't quite as bad as PA, but glad to be finished with NJ. Overall a good hike!
Pole Climber

Lilred
04-30-2006, 11:32

I'm thinking boots made for the desert wouldn't be made to hold up to water.....:-?

LIhikers
04-30-2006, 17:52
[quote=SGTdirtman]I also destroyed a brand new pair of boots that I was "testing" for use as hiking boots. (I figured desert combat boots would be good since they are light and have good tread) but they pretty much fell apart within the first 2 days. quote]

proseal PRC 890 B2 works wonders for putting soles back on hiking boots :rolleyes: