PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Byer Moskito!

Alligator
04-28-2006, 13:24
I bought a Byer Moskito from CC Outdoors, won't be here until next week. It seems like a good option for solo warm weather use for me. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep in it as I'm a stomach sleeper, but for $19 I'll give it a whirl. I'll end up with almost a two pound savings as I won't be bringing my T-rest, chair, and bug netting. I already carry a tarp and associated hardware. I use a 45 degree bag in the summer which has a zip open footbox. I may be able to use this like a peapod? I know I would need to forgo the netting then. Otherwise, I will use it like a quilt. I don't plan on bringing a pad.

I have a question about tree huggers, which I am leaning towards buying/making. What is the purpose for the loops on the end? If I had these, would I need anything else to attach the hammock to the trees, or does something go between these and the hammock? The Moskito has a ring.

Thanks.

Footslogger
04-28-2006, 13:32
I have a question about tree huggers, which I am leaning towards buying/making. What is the purpose for the loops on the end? If I had these, would I need anything else to attach the hammock to the trees, or does something go between these and the hammock? The Moskito has a ring.

Thanks.
=================================
Can only speak for the HH straps ...but the loops are used to pass the cord through before tying that wild and crazy knot.

I use sort of a hybrid "self-design" whereby I use a metal loop (probably similar to that of the Moskito) and pass it over the nylon strap. Plus, I use a nylon strap that has a fastex buckle rather than the sewn-in loops. I wrap it around the tree twice and then fasten the buckle. I attach the lines and then if it needs to be tightened a bit I take up the slack with the nylon strap rather than pulling and retying the line.

'Slogger

'Slogger

Hana_Hanger
04-28-2006, 14:09
Congrats on your new Byer.
If anything you WILL have a comfortable seat!

I am sewing mine up still from my fall I did
but since I am doing that anyways I am now going to replace the original support ropes with webbing/rope, so I can use my HH tree huggers with it.

At the moment I use THE TREE HUGGERS it is a actual brand name of straps with a large 0 ring and D ring closures and a hook so you can attach the Byer to it.
But this way of setting it up is not light weight at all the darn Tree Huggers weigh in at 1 lb.

http://www.simplyhammocks.com/products/Levi_Innovations__Designs_Tree_Hugger_Hammock_Stra p_-_Set_of_2_42068.html

So there are many options out there.

MacGyver2005
04-28-2006, 14:14
I'm still waiting on mine. Apparently one of the other items I ordered is back-ordered, so they are holding up my entire order. I hope they get you your hammock quickly.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Alligator
04-28-2006, 14:21
I'm still waiting on mine. Apparently one of the other items I ordered is back-ordered, so they are holding up my entire order. I hope they get you your hammock quickly.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME
I only ordered the hammock. I looked around to find something else to recoup some of the shipping cost, but didn't really need anything else. I've been watching the package all week, it should be here on Mon.

Hana Hanger, are you sure those huggers weigh a pound or is that just the shipping weight?

neo
04-28-2006, 14:44
I bought a Byer Moskito from CC Outdoors, won't be here until next week. It seems like a good option for solo warm weather use for me. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep in it as I'm a stomach sleeper, but for $19 I'll give it a whirl. I'll end up with almost a two pound savings as I won't be bringing my T-rest, chair, and bug netting. I already carry a tarp and associated hardware. I use a 45 degree bag in the summer which has a zip open footbox. I may be able to use this like a peapod? I know I would need to forgo the netting then. Otherwise, I will use it like a quilt. I don't plan on bringing a pad.

Thanks.

:D its not a very durable hammock:cool: neo

peter_pan
04-28-2006, 15:26
congrats...

That hammock doesn't come with suspenion lines on the end...you need to get your own...make sure they are stong enough and any tree saver straps have large enough loops for the cord selected....Or... just put 12 foot long, 1 inch ploy web staps on each end ( don't use nylon , as it stetches too much...Get them at Speerhammocks.com...

Note..... the end strings on this model tangle all the time....it is really worth the weight penalty to use a biner on each end to attach the strap loop or line loop to the hammock loop...this way they are easily disconnected to make untangling easier....

Pan

Alligator
04-28-2006, 15:28
:D its not a very durable hammock:cool: neo That's ok, I don't expect $19 to go very far. If it lasts for the week I intend to use it, that's fine by me.

Alligator
04-28-2006, 15:42
congrats...

That hammock doesn't come with suspenion lines on the end...you need to get your own...make sure they are stong enough and any tree saver straps have large enough loops for the cord selected....Or... just put 12 foot long, 1 inch ploy web staps on each end ( don't use nylon , as it stetches too much...Get them at Speerhammocks.com...

Note..... the end strings on this model tangle all the time....it is really worth the weight penalty to use a biner on each end to attach the strap loop or line loop to the hammock loop...this way they are easily disconnected to make untangling easier....

Pan
Thanks Pan. I have the same tangling issues with a car camping hammock I have, the end lines on the ring tangle. What's the root cause, the ring flipping throught the lines? The 'biners sound like a solution, but is there anything I can do as a preventative?

Hana_Hanger
04-28-2006, 16:16
I only ordered the hammock. I looked around to find something else to recoup some of the shipping cost, but didn't really need anything else. I've been watching the package all week, it should be here on Mon.

Hana Hanger, are you sure those huggers weigh a pound or is that just the shipping weight?

They really weigh l lb 1.4 ounces
this is on my new digital postal scale:eek:

yes these are not just the black webbing straps that everyone calls tree huggers...
Now for sure I must replace them all these ounces keep adding up.

I love them as far as strong and easy and they support up to 400 lbs on each strap...oh well....you made me start weighing all my things now:rolleyes:

peter_pan
04-28-2006, 19:20
[QUOTE=Alligator]Thanks Pan. I have the same tangling issues with a car camping hammock I have, the end lines on the ring tangle. What's the root cause, the ring flipping throught the lines? The 'biners sound

Read about a gal that sewed a triangle shapped sock for each end to reduce/eliminate the tangle...she reported it helped...this was about a year ago with no subsequent posts....seemed like a good idea...

Personally, poor designs are better eliminated than rigged around...but hey.... it may help.

Pan

BIG PS...do inspect these light lines daily...they do wear...and being dropped hurts and is potentially very bad.:eek:

Alligator
07-17-2006, 11:31
I used my Byer for one week on the AT through the southern half of PA in July. My Suunto wasn't working, so I am unsure of the exact temperatures. Basically it was hot. Not Africa hot, just hot. Probably in the mid-80s during the day and 60+ at night, with high humidity all week. I used a Kelty 45 synthetic bag, no pad. I had light fleece top and bottom, vest, hat, and gloves available.

I’ll start out with the embarrassing part. I somehow managed to forget my tarp. A pretty tense realization at 9:30 p.m. and four miles from the nearest shelter. All I can say is I was also trying out my new Vapor Trail, so I hadn’t formed a “pack image” yet. It was on the list, but had been put away into a tote at home. Oh well, I lived.

I was only cold the first night. I’m pretty sure I would have been warm with the tarp, because as soon as I added one, it was noticeably warmer. I bought a cheapie 8X10 at a hardware store. I also could have put on my rain gear the first night, but I didn’t think of it.

I was able to sleep on my back. It did not bother me at all actually. However, I immediately went back to my stomach upon returning home. I did not use a structural ridge line, as the outfitter was out of the cord I wanted to use, so I went without. I enjoyed being able to vary my leg positions while in the hammock. I hiked a lot of miles and being able to keep my knees bent or my feet up at will was nice. On the other hand, one night while sleeping on my side, my hip started to bother me. I think I was on that side too long.

The worst problem I experienced was in a heavy rain. I knew about drip lines, but was unsure how to handle this with the multiple attachment lines. So I ignored the problem. Even on the diagonal, an 8X10 tarp does not fully cover the lines that attached the hammock body to the ring. The rain wicked down the lines and I awoke to water running down my neck. On the head end of the hammock, the bottom was wet. I didn’t want my bag to get wet, so here’s what I did. I stuffed the bag into my pack in case I needed to shelter (I was near one). I attached a bandana around all the lines to act as a drip line. I put on my fleece and my rain gear and went back to sleep. This kept me dry and warm, and the bandana was an effective fix.

Now, I think the wetting out of the multiple lines could be avoided with some silnylon snake skins. A larger tarp would do it, but an 8X10 is probably close to the upper limit in size that many use. I haven’t measure the entire length of the hammock to the rings in order to determine the needed length of the diagonal for a tarp.

I also noticed that one side of the hammock was tighter than the other. My first guess after doing some reading is that the entry side may have stretched. I believe credit goes to Risk for this concept. Alternatively, some of the lines may be tangled. I was aware of the potential for tangled lines, but it’s particularly bad with a Byer. Regular net hammocks often have a metal ring, but on a Byer, the lines compose the ring itself. Flipping the ring around could be difficult. Once the bugs abate, I will try to stretch out the other side to see if that is the problem.

Some truth in advertising.
The expansion of campsites was very useful, making for few worries when hiking late. BUT, it’s not quite as rosy as is sometimes said. When using two trees, you need a spot with a sparse understory. I was reluctant to set up over heavy undergrowth, ferns and such, to keep from trampling the understory and to avoid losing gear. It being summer, the understory was rather thick in some places. It was definitely not a big problem, but worth commenting on.

I used 1” straps to attach to the trees, usually wrapped four times around. One night I used two 5” diameter trees and there was some compression of bark. In fact, just the ridgeline of my tarp cut some into the bark. I’m new at this so I am unaware if there are any species that should be avoided. I read as much as I could beforehand. The tree I used was a hickory, I didn’t i.d. it down to species. It was not, however, thin barked.

I would recommend the Byer to someone on a budget but please be aware of the line issues. I will probably sew up a Speer type hammock.

Doctari
07-18-2006, 10:31
Glad you liked the Byer. I love mine.

I too have had (mild to moderate) hip pain in my Byer, usually as you said when I sleep on my side. It disapates almost immediatly on turning or rising. I suspect that it's because I sleep so well, I don't move, at all, all night.

I sleep on my back at home and in the hammock. Never could get comfy in my tent, even with a camp rest sleeping pad.

My 9 x 9 tarp covers the hammock totally, so I don't use drip lines. BUT, today I switch from a rope ridge line to one made of webbing, I havn't tied it on yet, but may have to change. Time will tell.

Un-tangling of the lines helps even out the hammock. Due to (I think) my weight, I cannot sleep on the diagonal, so sleep in line, if I spend a night on one side (of the hammock) or the other, I have to work at getting to sleep centered or on the other side. I prefer to sleep almost at the opening on warm days, cooler days seem better in the center. Sleeping at the opening seems to make getting out easier.

I second the advise that not all is gold in finding a site. My hardest part has been finding limited ground cover, second hardest was to find two trees the proper distance apart WITHOUT other trees between or in an inconvienant location. Part of the second problem is my 9 x 9 tarp is quite large.

My (former) tree huggers, homemade, are 1" they pressed some into my Ginkgo & willow, but not the oaks or plum trees. After a few hangings, you should get "the feel" for which trees will be affected. My last trip I tied to a white pine (12" dia) and a maple (8" dia) left a VERY slight impression on the back side of the maple, none on the white pine. The white pine only had 1 pass of the hugger due to it's size, the maple had 2 wraps. I think my problem is solved as with properly spaced trees my new webbing ridgeline will be used as the tree huggers, & is WAY too long, so I can double or triple wrap almost any tree, this SHOULD ease the "damage" I do. BTW, I hung from my oaks at least 10 times in a little over a month, tied to the exact same spots. and it usually stayed hung between me staying in it.

Doctari.

Just Jeff
07-18-2006, 10:41
Due to (I think) my weight, I cannot sleep on the diagonal, so sleep in line

I could be wrong, but weight shouldn't be an issue unless the hammock is too small for you. Are you sure you're hanging it with enough sag?

I've run into times where the underbrush was too thick to hang a hammock, too. Not that it's a competition or anything, but a ground sleeper would be even worse off in that situation so there's still an advantage.

Alligator
07-18-2006, 10:59
My 9 x 9 tarp covers the hammock totally, so I don't use drip lines. BUT, today I switch from a rope ridge line to one made of webbing, I havn't tied it on yet, but may have to change. Time will tell.
Doctari.I had about 6-9 inches of lines sticking out (to the ring). Besides the bandana, I threw my pack cover over it. Seems like there are some manufacturing differences in lengths for the tarps and hammocks, as the diagonals on a 9X9 and 8X10 should be nearly the same length. My tarp was a cheapie and said something like it was 8X10 to start with, maybe the hems make it smaller? I will measure the tarp and the hammock when I get a chance.

Hickories are a little difficult to tell apart, but I checked my ID book and I'm pretty sure it was a pignut hickory.

Alligator
07-18-2006, 11:08
I've run into times where the underbrush was too thick to hang a hammock, too. Not that it's a competition or anything, but a ground sleeper would be even worse off in that situation so there's still an advantage.I completely agree, but I did have to go about 1/2-1 mile before I found some spots with open understory. If it had been raining, I would have settled for less also and would've slept no different. I just prefer not to traipse around where I can't see my feet. An icky snake might get me:eek: .

Doctari
07-18-2006, 13:05
I could be wrong, but weight shouldn't be an issue unless the hammock is too small for you. Are you sure you're hanging it with enough sag?

I've run into times where the underbrush was too thick to hang a hammock, too. Not that it's a competition or anything, but a ground sleeper would be even worse off in that situation so there's still an advantage.

220 Lbs. With the accesory cord I was using, absolutly impossible to lay diagonal without using a ladder to hang the rope. BUT, I just came in from trying out the new nylon webbing, I CAN LAY DIAGONALLY NOW!!! WOO HOOO!!!

It's not perfect yet, but it works!!!! (Woo Hoo again) I would still be out there, even in this heat, but wife's car just died so I had to rescue her. Anyway, I am back to the learning curve, still have to 'tweak" the positioning of the loops I hang from, but I'm betting that it's only a change of about 2" closer together.

I hiked only about 7 miles a few days ago (RT for an overnighter) but in that 3.5 mile distance I found about 4 tent sites, & about 20 hanging sites. That was what the hike was for, well that and to test my wool kilt in rain, works great BTW. 1 of the tent sites I could not have hung at, or near, so 3 of the hanging sites were tent compatable. Where I ended up hanging you "could" have lay on the ground, but it was a fairly steep site, so you would have rolled / slid down hill all night.

Doctari.

jazilla
07-19-2006, 08:25
Just got my brothers Byer Moskito from CC Outdoors yesterday( birthday present). He wanted pull out like the HH ( he's jealous of mine) so last night I put two on and made a bigger stuff sack, there's is a little small for him he said. He would like a ridge line. I have 550 cord and was thinking of using it. Good or bad idea. Plus how long should I make it. After attaching a ridge I would like to zip tie the support strings together to stop tangling when set up. Will the in and out and general laying in the hammock cause the ropes to rub together and eventually fray.Is there a way to maybe replace those small ropes?

jazilla
07-19-2006, 08:27
Oh yeah we are going to hook it up this weekend and see how this this boat will float. Should be interesting with pull outs and a military poncho.

Alligator
07-19-2006, 08:35
Just got my brothers Byer Moskito from CC Outdoors yesterday( birthday present). He wanted pull out like the HH ( he's jealous of mine) so last night I put two on and made a bigger stuff sack, there's is a little small for him he said. He would like a ridge line. I have 550 cord and was thinking of using it. Good or bad idea. Plus how long should I make it. After attaching a ridge I would like to zip tie the support strings together to stop tangling when set up. Will the in and out and general laying in the hammock cause the ropes to rub together and eventually fray.Is there a way to maybe replace those small ropes?Doctari has experimented with ridge lines here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=203624&highlight=Ridge+line#post203624
I was going to use some 3 or 4 mm climbers rope.

Pan noted that the small ropes should be inspected frequently for wear. I think you could work a new one in there if necessary.

Doctari
07-19-2006, 11:04
Doctari has experimented with ridge lines here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=203624&highlight=Ridge+line#post203624
I was going to use some 3 or 4 mm climbers rope.

Pan noted that the small ropes should be inspected frequently for wear. I think you could work a new one in there if necessary.

An update to the above mentioned post:

1st about me: I'm 5' 7" around 210 Lbs (220 in work clothes incl steel toed boots)

I now use 1" flat webbing (zero or nearly so stretch) The ends of the hammock are atached by carabiner to 2 loops about 12' apart. I still have to adjust a bit, but it seems that (for me at least) between 11' & 12 is the "Magic" number. The biners I use are 150 lb capacity "key ring type". Make SURE the gate is closed, I have stretched out one that I didn't close totally. Any more sag, at least for my dimensions, & I either have to hang 2' above where I can reach* or sleep partially on the ground :rolleyes: Even so, I'm only about " above the ground, well, my ample butt is ;)
I use 3 tiny key ring biners to hold the stretchy cord to the ridgeline. The ends are atached to the main biners. Ths holds the netting off me a little better. The biners do double duty holding gear (water bottle mostly) on my pack & off the ground when in camp.

I'm going to head out in a bit to "fine tune" the sag. I'll keep you posted. Let us know any thing your tests find.

* In my back yard I tested this by standing on a lawn chair. Comfy, but I'm not likely to carry a chair or a ladder on the trail, so it's a moot point IMHO.

Doctari.

Just Jeff
07-19-2006, 11:42
550 cord will stretch even when used as a ridgeline. It'll work (I just put some on my uncle's this past weekend), but you'll need to account for stretch when determining length.

jazilla
07-24-2006, 08:40
Help, where the heck do I put the ridgeline. Inside or outside. If inside do I have to make a hole in the netting. If on the outside do I pass it through the netting loops to hold them up.

rpettit
07-24-2006, 09:04
I have a byer moskitoe I use in the back yard on a hammock stand. I will set it up and post the pictures in this thread. I set a 10' ridgeline outside of the bugnetting and use wieght bearing carabiners to attatch it to the loop on each end of the hammock. Then I attatch the support chains that came with the hammock stand to the carabiners and hammock stand uprights. I left about 11 feet of extra cord on the end of the ridgeline so that I could run it back through the 2 loops in the bugnetting to raise it up. The nylon ridgeline cord is rated at 90lbs. It will stretch, I had to tie it 6'' short, after I layed in it a while it stretched out to around 10'. I weigh 180lbs. You need for the structural ridgline to end up being around 10' long, otherwise the hammock won't hang correctly and you will not be able to lay in the hammock correctly.

Doctari
07-24-2006, 09:28
Help, where the heck do I put the ridgeline. Inside or outside. If inside do I have to make a hole in the netting. If on the outside do I pass it through the netting loops to hold them up.

I take it you havn't got the byer yet. The moskito netting comes with a bungy cord type ridgeline to hang the netting from, it is suspended by 2 loops sewn to the netting. this very stretchy cord will do nothing to support you hammock, but does an admiral jop of suspending the netting.

My ridgeline is 1" flat webbing, 12' apart I have tied loops in the webbing, I clip my hammock to these loops (after suspending the webbing) with 2 carabeners (150 lb capacaty each) this set up allows me to lay somewhat diagonally. The stretchy cord is clipped to the biners, and with very tiny binars (3 of them, overkill but is what I use) to the webbing ridgeline.

No need to cut holes in the netting.

Notes:
The stretch line is VERY LONG, I cut mine in 1/2 & tied loops in either end, removing the cord locks & hooks.
My webbing is a bit longer than 25'
The hammock don't exactly hang from the loops, the loops hold the binars in the correct location, AND go over the webbing, so the hammock hangs direcly from the webbing.
The loops are tied in place by making a figure eight knot.

Hope this helps.

Doctari.

generoll
07-24-2006, 20:45
how is the entry into the Byer? I found the bottom entry impractical when trying to get into a hammock and keep a sleeping pad under me. Without the pad I froze and traded the hammock for my tried and trusted tent. I have a Big Agnes pad and I plan to add the matching sleeping bag to it. that oughta keep the pad where it belongs, but i'm not really convinced that i want a net. i'd rather enter the hammock from the top then try to crawl through a slit in the bottom and the get everything adjusted.

What's the deal with the diagonal line in the HH? I could never figure out the purpose of that and usually woke up on one side or the other of that cord. Is it supposed to do something? I may try a hammock again for my Fall trip since it will be warmer and a hammock might be practical in those conditions.

I do want something other then the HH, although I plan to keep the treehuggers and the extra large tarp whci I purchased separately.

rpettit
07-25-2006, 10:01
I have a byer moskitoe I use in the back yard on a hammock stand. I will set it up and post the pictures in this thread. I set a 10' ridgeline outside of the bugnetting and use wieght bearing carabiners to attatch it to the loop on each end of the hammock. Then I attatch the support chains that came with the hammock stand to the carabiners and hammock stand uprights. I left about 11 feet of extra cord on the end of the ridgeline so that I could run it back through the 2 loops in the bugnetting to raise it up. The nylon ridgeline cord is rated at 90lbs. It will stretch, I had to tie it 6'' short, after I layed in it a while it stretched out to around 10'. I weigh 180lbs. You need for the structural ridgline to end up being around 10' long, otherwise the hammock won't hang correctly and you will not be able to lay in the hammock correctly.

Here are the pictures.

jazilla
07-25-2006, 13:08
I got the hammock last Tuesday. The netting support isn't bungee. Its some sort of black braided cord with hooks on the ends and cord locks in between.
Thanks for all the help. It has been most helpful.

Doctari
07-25-2006, 15:00
I got the hammock last Tuesday. The netting support isn't bungee. Its some sort of black braided cord with hooks on the ends and cord locks in between.
Thanks for all the help. It has been most helpful.

Oh!!

Must have changed it. I wonder why.

BE CAREFUL, when I first got mine, it didn't have the cord, so I used a secton of parachute cord. When I got in the hammock one time, I fell into the netting*, as the cord didnt give any, the support loops pulled out. Byer was FANTASTIC about sending a replacement, & I did a quick fix to the loops, so no problems.

* Much like falling out of the hammock, but no where to go. Trapped for about 15 min while waiting for the wife to come "save me".

Doctari.

Alligator
07-25-2006, 15:28
.... Its some sort of black braided cord with hooks on the ends and cord locks in between.
Thanks for all the help. It has been most helpful.That describes mine as well.

Doctari
07-25-2006, 19:59
Without knowing the reason for the change Byer made, I'm hesatant to suggest this; :rolleyes:
But I think I would change to a shock cord for the netting. This is based on the above incident only, but having used both, I prefer the stretchy cord.
YMMV.

Doctari.

Alligator
07-25-2006, 20:49
Without knowing the reason for the change Byer made, I'm hesatant to suggest this; :rolleyes:
But I think I would change to a shock cord for the netting. This is based on the above incident only, but having used both, I prefer the stretchy cord.
YMMV.

Doctari.The hook on the end forms a loop that expands/contracts with the cord lock. I just leave it loose then tighten after I first get in.

Doctari
07-26-2006, 04:04
The hook on the end forms a loop that expands/contracts with the cord lock. I just leave it loose then tighten after I first get in.

Exact set up as with the stretchy cord, but with a stretchy cord. :p

Perhaps that was the reason for the change, the cord locks & hooks on the stretchy cord wouldn't hold. At least for me. I bet they hold well on the braided cord.

Doctari.

Alligator
07-26-2006, 08:17
Exact set up as with the stretchy cord, but with a stretchy cord. :p

Perhaps that was the reason for the change, the cord locks & hooks on the stretchy cord wouldn't hold. At least for me. I bet they hold well on the braided cord.

Doctari.If the cord stretches and has the same cords/hooks, I'm not sure which is better. If you leave the line too tight before getting in with the braided cord, there is a potential to rip the loops and/or the netting. Not sure if either is better at all.

Since I use a ridge line on my tarp, I think I will switch to attaching the netting to that with some kind of adjustable line, maybe even just cutting off cordlooks and hooks and either end and using each separately to attach to the ridge line. I like being able to adjust the netting tension with the cordlocks.

jazilla
07-26-2006, 08:39
What if you attached to the ridgeline with shock cord? Would that work?

Alligator
07-26-2006, 09:05
What if you attached to the ridgeline with shock cord? Would that work?That sounds better actually--a tarp ridgeline right? I still haven't tried out the structural ridgeline.

jazilla
07-26-2006, 09:10
I meant to the hammock ridge, but I guess either would do. If attached to the ridge on the tarp will it cause sag in the tarp?

Alligator
07-26-2006, 09:16
I meant to the hammock ridge, but I guess either would do. If attached to the ridge on the tarp will it cause sag in the tarp?Nettings fairly light, so if it's not too tight, I wouldn't expect much. I hang socks and shirts from my tarp ridgeline when just tarping out without any significant sag.

AlmontKevin
08-03-2006, 12:16
Hi new here. I used my Byers Moskito for the first time last week at Scout Camp, Tapico near Kalkaska, Mi. Varied weather from 40's at night to low 70's overnight.
I have some observations and questions.

1. Set up was easy. But setting the distance to the reccomended 9' or less was/is a problem. The trees were about 8 paces apart, or just far enough for a 10' tarp to fit between. I end up on the ground due to I assume material stretch. I hang it as high as I can, over 6' and unloaded the belly is near 30" from the ground. I'm using 1" tube webbing from REI as my webbing/tree wrap. It appears to not be contributing to stretch as the length from the tree to the hammock seems constant. I'm 220#, 5'9". Close to the limit. Any thoughts? Am I too big for this unit? Read on for additional info.

2. On the third night getting in it pitched me to the ground, getting caught in the bugnet, ripping it to shreds. I needed to be rescued from to other scoutmasters. Other than being embarrassing, any hints for not allowing it to happen once I sew the tears up? Was/Is this due to the hammock body stretching?

3. Should I try it on trees farther apart, with less sag, against Byers recommended 9' distance and near 3-4' belly?

4. I also took my homemade per IMRISK's webpage. Set this one up initially for others to use. Several scouts laid in it at different times and crashed hard, not waking up for hours. They were surprised how fast and hard they slept. I set it up in my area for the fourth night on the same two trees as the Byers. Much more comfortable, no stretch(it has the 1" polypro webbing as listed on IMRISKS page). Easier to lay diagonally. Thanks IMRISK.

I know this is a subjective question, but is the Byers a limited market product for lighter users? Are others experiencing severe material stretch?

Doctari
08-03-2006, 19:19
Hi new here. I used my Byers Moskito for the first time last week at Scout Camp, Tapico near Kalkaska, Mi. Varied weather from 40's at night to low 70's overnight.
I have some observations and questions.

1. Set up was easy. But setting the distance to the reccomended 9' or less was/is a problem. The trees were about 8 paces apart, or just far enough for a 10' tarp to fit between. I end up on the ground due to I assume material stretch. I hang it as high as I can, over 6' and unloaded the belly is near 30" from the ground. I'm using 1" tube webbing from REI as my webbing/tree wrap. It appears to not be contributing to stretch as the length from the tree to the hammock seems constant. I'm 220#, 5'9". Close to the limit. Any thoughts? Am I too big for this unit? Read on for additional info.

You are only about 15 Lbs more than me, and taller. There is a bit of material stretch at first, so bear with it, "this too shall pass". I tried the close together trees as Byer suggested, Mine is now hanging in my back yard from trees that are about 14.5' apart, the ends of my hammock are 13' apart. I initially started out about 3' from the ground, with my hammock hanging over 6' up the tree. Invarably I ended up on the ground in about 1 to 1.5 hrs. I now sleep happily off the ground.

2. On the third night getting in it pitched me to the ground, getting caught in the bugnet, ripping it to shreds. I needed to be rescued from to other scoutmasters. Other than being embarrassing, any hints for not allowing it to happen once I sew the tears up? Was/Is this due to the hammock body stretching?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! I;m allowed to laugh, the same exact thing happened to me. Fun isn't it. After that one time, I havn't even come close to doing it again, so don't worry. Can't give you a good reason, other than I was careless, may explain your mishap too.

3. Should I try it on trees farther apart, with less sag, against Byers recommended 9' distance and near 3-4' belly?

See my above post.

4. I also took my homemade per IMRISK's webpage. Set this one up initially for others to use. Several scouts laid in it at different times and crashed hard, not waking up for hours. They were surprised how fast and hard they slept. I set it up in my area for the fourth night on the same two trees as the Byers. Much more comfortable, no stretch(it has the 1" polypro webbing as listed on IMRISKS page). Easier to lay diagonally. Thanks IMRISK.

I know this is a subjective question, but is the Byers a limited market product for lighter users? Are others experiencing severe material stretch?

PM me if any more questions. I may be able to help. Or at least laugh with you.

Doctari.

AlmontKevin
08-04-2006, 10:09
Thanks Doctari, I'll try to get it fixed (bugnet) and try it again. I might just give it to my son who's about half my weight and I'll use the homemade one.

Hana_Hanger
08-06-2006, 12:36
LOL gotta laugh...I can see the headlines in our local newspapers.

Caught in Byer Hammock Netting...waiting for rescue workers to arrive!
(I can state that since it happened to me a while back)

I did not like how I sewed the netting back together and C & C still has the Byer on sale for $19 so ordered a new one to take with me. I hope it does not have to go through some kind of stretching...my first one did not.
I may add a ridgeline but am still wondering just why it was needed??

AlmontKevin
08-07-2006, 09:27
If you can get the lines tight enough, a ridgeline will allow variations in the distance between the hanging point distances so selection of those points becomes less critical.

schnikel
10-27-2010, 17:58
I thought I would rekindle this old thread.
I just bought a Moskito hammock used at a sale. It is in good shape but does not have the straps to connect the hammock around the trees. I have bought some ENO slap straps and a couple 'biners to use. The ends of the hammock are extremely knotted and messed up. On this pacticular hammock the lines are "braided" to form the ring, so what is the best way to untangle the mess? Should I unbraid them and then slide each individual line into the 'biners or is there a better way?
Thanks foe any ideas.
Schnikel

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2010, 21:59
Schnikel Honest - you don't need to, the twists do not affect the comfort or operation, but if you want to kill some time they do twist out.

schnikel
10-28-2010, 21:52
Thanks for the post Owl.
I was thinking I had heard that if my weight in the hammock there on lines that were tangled and crossed that the weight would not be distributed evenly and may cause damage/breaking. Is this incorrect?
Schnikel

Wise Old Owl
10-28-2010, 21:59
Yea it won't happen unless you exceed 250 pounds. But the streach in the fabric might make your butt hit the forest floor by morning... (Happened to me).