PDA

View Full Version : Campsite south of dripping rock on AT?

trlhiker
04-28-2006, 20:58
I remember years ago that there was a good site for tents, right near an overlook, just south of the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Dripping Rock pulloff between Reeds Gap and Humpback Mountain in VA. I believe that it was only about a quarter mile in. Does anyone know what I am talking about and does the trail still go by this area. I am heading out that way with some friends next weekend and am looking for a place to camp near the parkway.

Groucho
04-28-2006, 22:30
I remember years ago that there was a good site for tents, right near an overlook, just south of the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Dripping Rock pulloff between Reeds Gap and Humpback Mountain in VA. I believe that it was only about a quarter mile in. Does anyone know what I am talking about and does the trail still go by this area. I am heading out that way with some friends next weekend and am looking for a place to camp near the parkway.

About 0.5-0.6 mi. S of Dripping Rock parking area is an area known as Cedar Cliffs with some good views. I've never camped there, but it looked like there would be good camping.

astrogirl
04-28-2006, 23:25
I've seen people camped there, and it does look like a darn nice spot.

I haven't been down there for a few years, but it is only about .25 in from the BRP, as I recall.

Groucho
04-29-2006, 05:32
I've seen people camped there, and it does look like a darn nice spot.

I haven't been down there for a few years, but it is only about .25 in from the BRP, as I recall.

I thought it was closer myself, but that was the guidebook mileage; at 0.5 mi. you come out of the woods to the Cedar Cliffs area with the views.

trlhiker
04-29-2006, 13:34
Thanks for the replies, I thought it was much closer than .5 miles. .25 miles sounds about right.