PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies are here

Moxie00
04-28-2006, 21:15
I have never seen them in April in Maine but they are here. I'm working in my woodlot in central Maine and usually we don't have any black flies until mid to late May but they are here now and in good numbers, Early in the season they don't bite real bad but in a week the woods will be Hell. Ask any Maine native or southbounder that hiked in June and early July and they will tell you what a burning, stinging Hell the "State Bird" of Maine can cause. If you hoped for an early start or hike to avoid them you are too late. We had a mild winter, a very early spring, have low water in all our streams and rivers so if I were a betting man I would bet black fly season will end very early this year.
:welcome to Maine, the BLACK FLY capitol of the world.*

DLANOIE
05-01-2006, 19:02
And CHEERS!!! to the black flies of 06!!!!!!!

May there stay be a quick one!:banana

Old Hillwalker
05-01-2006, 19:25
Man they are early here in New Hampster too. Used to be in around Moms' Day. Global warming?

Chef2000
05-02-2006, 17:04
Everything is early in New England this year, my perrenials are way ahead. We had a very mild winter up here. Black flies do not like DEET.

The Solemates
05-02-2006, 17:12
Ask any Maine native or southbounder that hiked in June and early July and they will tell you what a burning, stinging Hell the "State Bird" of Maine can cause.

they didnt bother us one bit.

hammock engineer
05-02-2006, 17:15
I heard an excert on the news that said that the ticks and Lyme are going to be back this summer.

The ticks are definetly out in my area. I pulled 18 of the little guys off of me over the course of a short 2 day hike. Luckily I got them off before they had their dinner.

Dust
05-03-2006, 00:14
May there stay be a quick one!:banana

their stay

RITBlake
05-03-2006, 00:24
their stay

Please stop. Nobody cares.