PDA

View Full Version : Mini alarm clocks?

ncmtns
04-29-2006, 08:02
Those wrist watch alarms just dont cut it for me. Anyone know of a light weight loud alarm clock out there?

MOWGLI
04-29-2006, 08:04
Those wrist watch alarms just dont cut it for me. Anyone know of a light weight loud alarm clock out there?

For home or the trail? Doesn't first light awaken you?

wilderness bob
04-29-2006, 09:03
If you are hiking, try separating the watch from your body. If it is on your wrist and buried in your sleeping bag, it cannot be heard. Attach it something and place it near your head, if in a tent put it in your tent pocket, just don't forget it when you leave your camp site. WB

max patch
04-29-2006, 09:42
I tied a piece of cord off the top of my tent and at nite it hung in the air a few inches from my face. That worked. I never hear it when it is on my wrist.

saimyoji
04-29-2006, 10:00
Isn't part of communing with nature to remove the time constraints? What does it matter what time you wake up? The trail will still be there if you get up a little later.

I know, I know, you've still got a schedule, got friends to meet up with, gotta catch the ferry, or even if you're a late sleeper and want to see the sunrise on a particular bald/mountain top.

The quickest alarm clock I've found are the crows. They always wake me. My favorite alarm clock is my wife.

For those of you with neither: get a pet crow, or report to this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6563&highlight=hiking+princess

For those of you who were looking for a straight answer:

http://www.travelinginspain.com/travel_store/clocks.htm

Footslogger
04-29-2006, 10:05
Well ... I suspect you'd become persona non grata pretty fast if your alarm went off in the middle of the woods every morning. Daylight and the sounds of nature should be enough to open your eyes.

That said, there are a lot of tiny alarm clocks out there that put out a loud sound in quiet surroundings. Check out the selection at Radio Shack. I'm pretty sure they even have one that it is water resistant.

'Slogger

Bjorkin
04-29-2006, 11:04
Man, if I were to wake to the sound of anyone's alarm clock while camping I'd be one unhappy camper.

Alarm clock? I don't need no stinkin' alarm clock!

Fiddler
04-29-2006, 11:12
Drink water. It will take a little trial-and-error testing for your system but this is how it works. Before you go to sleep drink a cup, 2 cups, maybe 3 cups of water. Without a doubt you will wake up. The more water you drink, the sooner you will wake. My "clock" wakes me after about 6 hours with 2-1/2 cups.

Bevs
04-29-2006, 11:33
I tied a piece of cord off the top of my tent and at nite it hung in the air a few inches from my face. That worked. I never hear it when it is on my wrist.
This will work for sure. Because i tried it even at home. It's true that if it's in your wrist, it has a possibility that you wont hear it alarms cause your arm might be under your pillow and sometimes with out knowing it your watch loosen:)

Skidsteer
04-29-2006, 13:49
Most cell phones have a jam-up alarm clock function. :eek: ;)

Skidsteer
04-29-2006, 19:29
This will work for sure. Because i tried it even at home. It's true that if it's in your wrist, it has a possibility that you wont hear it alarms cause your arm might be under your pillow and sometimes with out knowing it your watch loosen:)

Bevs/Bambi: You're not fooling anybody. Tell the truth.

wilderness bob
04-30-2006, 19:26
This thread brings back memories,
The only time I actually used my alarm on the trail was to make sure I was awake in time for FOOD! A good personal example, the cabin near the Upper Goose Pond (MA) and, those outstanding blueberry pancakes. Other then that I normally awoke to the sounds of the woods, I called it "Bird Chirp Thirty". Dozens of different birds chirping their little beaks off. This is one of those, "you have to be there to believe it" things in life. Can I get an amen! Peace WB

SteveK
05-01-2006, 12:40
I can never hear those high-pitched watch alarms, so I recently bought a Casio Hunting timer watch. It has moon phases, which is handy, several alarms, countdown timers, etc. But the best feature is the vibration alarm. It wakes me up right away. You can get them online, or from Walmart

SteveK:)