PDA

View Full Version : Shorts with Netting?

abales01
04-29-2006, 11:14
I just ordered a pair of North Face shorts from Campmor, and they failed to mention that the shorts are basically swim trunks, white netting and all. What do you think? A good excuse to not wear boxers, or painful chafing?

abales01
04-29-2006, 11:15
I should mention, I'd be wearing them for a 10 day section hike

Twofiddy
04-29-2006, 11:22
I just ordered a pair of North Face shorts from Campmor, and they failed to mention that the shorts are basically swim trunks, white netting and all. What do you think? A good excuse to not wear boxers, or painful chafing?

After you get them if you cut out the mesh netting it will save you a few ounces.

I think that is what most of us wear to hike in... They will rip alot of hairs out between your legs when you first start wearing them. I have large thighs and my legs rub together when I walk so I use body glide or this other skin lube made by the folks that make Wet Platunum.

max patch
04-29-2006, 11:39

Thats what I wore on my thru, they lasted the whole way (they were basically shot when I finished), good support, and no chafing.

hammock engineer
04-29-2006, 12:18
I hike in swim tunks minus the netting. The most comfortable thing I found so far.

Alligator
04-29-2006, 12:19
I'd cut the netting out. For me, when it's wet, the netting hangs down and increases chafing. So I use swim trunks sans netting.

Doctari
04-29-2006, 12:37
Don't know, I hike in a kilt. :p

snowhoe
04-29-2006, 13:00
for best results cut away the shorts and just wear the netting.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-29-2006, 18:17
for best results cut away the shorts and just wear the netting.I'm thinking the boys won't like that - the ones hiking nor the ones hanging around for the ride.

I've run into a lot of guys who were thru hiking in board shorts. I'm not sure if they had cut their netting out or not - just seemed rude to check. I have two pairs of men's swim trunks with the netting cut out. I wear them for day hiking and they are wonderful. I don't wear them for backpacking because the waistband doesn't work with my hipbelt.

Topcat
04-29-2006, 18:20
I wore a pair backpacking in New Mexico 2 years ago and cut the net out day 3 after extreme chaffing. Always cut them out now and havent had the problem since.

Programbo
04-29-2006, 20:35

Is that this Internet thing I keep hearing about? :)

Vi+
04-29-2006, 21:01
abales01,

You advise (Post #1), “(T)he shorts are basically swim trunks, white netting and all. What do you think? A good excuse to not wear boxers, or painful chafing?”

I used to routinely cut the netting out of my shorts.

I went hiking with a new pair of shorts which seemed to have “improved” netting. I decided to give them a “fair shake” and went hiking on the Appalachian Trail. After some miles I couldn’t tolerate the netting.

I hadn’t seen anyone. I took out my knife, held my shorts out in front of and away from me, and stabbed down inside the front of the shorts to pierce the netting.

From my left, two hikers walked warily down the trail towards me. “Cutting out the lining.” I croaked, my voice breaking, in feeble explanation. They passed me cautiously.

I was so happy I wasn’t Thru-Hiking; I shuddered, imagining my trail name.

I routinely cut the netting out of my shorts, at home.

Hana_Hanger
04-29-2006, 21:15
Don't know, I hike in a kilt. :p

Now this would not be YOU... would it?:-?
:D

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsname=Wikipedia+Images&dekey=BlackRockRangerTekSage.jpg&linktext=

Hana_Hanger
04-29-2006, 21:23
I hadn’t seen anyone. I took out my knife, held my shorts out in front of and away from me, and stabbed down inside the front of the shorts to pierce the netting.

From my left, two hikers walked warily down the trail towards me. “Cutting out the lining.” I croaked, my voice breaking, in feeble explanation. They passed me cautiously.

:clap :jump Thank you, Thank You I needed a good laugh :D

Ender
04-30-2006, 19:17
Thats what I wore on my thru, they lasted the whole way (they were basically shot when I finished), good support, and no chafing.

I had the exact same experience. No chaffing, worked great. Used a pair on the PCT too (a second different pair, not the same nastyass pair left over from the AT). I used The Ex Officio Amphi's, and I highly reccomend them .

chicote
05-01-2006, 12:16
I would also cut the netting. I haven't found a pair of shorts or pants with netting that work well - sans netting and commando or a pair of wickaway undies below seem to work better.

SuperTroll
05-03-2006, 15:07
Netting depends...It has been MANY years since I went through the Swamp phase of Ranger School, but I distinctly remember the chafing I AVOIDED by wearing mesh underwear under my uniform. When you are wet and expecting to stay that way for hours and DAYS on end the mesh serves a very strong purpose, keeping wet clothing from rubbing you RAW. With fast drying fabrics in use today, the mesh is really unneeded, unless you ARE swimming, where my original thought process makes sense. The mesh is just a fast draining set of underwear to a swimsuit, there to provide (temporary) support, it has no useful purpose for long distance hiking.

camper10469
05-03-2006, 17:54
Very painfull, I cut em right out. It seems the mesh catches the hair on yur privates and hurts alot after jammin in em all day.