PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack your pad?

mr. dribbles
04-30-2006, 09:37
Hammock hanging has lightened my base weight and volume so I can get away with a smaller, lighter pack. I have been using an old EMS longtrail II with the stays removed (5500 in, 3lbs15oz) and my Target 27" ccf pad unrolled as much as possible as a frame sheet. Everything goes into the cental cavity in the usual order. BTW, EMS has a Gregory Z 35 for $79 this weekend...

While I don't mean to start a thread on the best pack or the value of under quilts (I have seen the light and eventually will upgrade) I am curious how those of you using wide ccf pads pack 'em.

hobbit
04-30-2006, 10:28
when i do pads i do them on the outside!
happy hanging

Just Jeff
04-30-2006, 11:23
I do mine just like you - a cylinder-shaped framesheet. But I don't carry a pad very often.

neo
04-30-2006, 13:22
I do mine just like you - a cylinder-shaped framesheet. But I don't carry a pad very often.

thats the same way i do it,my pad doubles as a stay for my frameless pack:cool: neo

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__productID=EQ2010

burger
04-30-2006, 13:47
I have a Z pack, and I keep my pad (a ridgerest) rolled up vertically on the side of the pack under the compression straps. On one side they open with a buckle - it's the perfect size for a rolled up pad.

mr. dribbles
04-30-2006, 17:25
Thanks for the replies. Neo, that pack looks like it may be right size, weight and price.

I'm also open to suggestions how to hint to my wife what gear would be a great gift item. Somehow leaving catalogs open with gear circled is a little crass, and my nine year old can't remember the specs and web sites long enough.

DLANOIE
04-30-2006, 18:12
I have a zlite short from Thermarest. I pack it into a silnyl stuffsac and it goes outside my pack right down the middle under straps. Mostly I use it as a windshield while cooking and/or something dry to sit on.:)

Just Jeff
04-30-2006, 18:13
I'm also open to suggestions how to hint to my wife what gear would be a great gift item. Somehow leaving catalogs open with gear circled is a little crass, and my nine year old can't remember the specs and web sites long enough.

Just make an "ideal gear list" and put in weights, prices and weblinks. That way it just looks like you're planning, and that you're really putting a lot of thought into it. She'll see how important it is to you, and you don't even have to mention that it's actually your wish list...

And if gift ideas ever come up, just mention gear offhand. Every time it comes up. They'll figure it out. :)

RobK
04-30-2006, 20:46
Here's a picture on the back of Granite Gear's Vapor

titanium_hiker
05-01-2006, 07:18
and what about wetness?

sure it's impermeable, but that has got to be NOT fun to sleep on. is this the case of the almighty pack towel (car cloth)?

TH

Seeker
05-01-2006, 11:20
when i used a pad (i've since gotten a quilt), i just rolled it up inside like you already mentioned... i've got a golite gust, so there's plenty of space inside for the bulk...

as far as "hinting" for gifts, i don't... but then i'm blunt anyway, and my wife tolerates it. if i want something, i'll put together a list for her to work on over time... up to her what she spends... but with christmas, father's day, and birthday, she can either do something alone or with my kids... either way, it's nice to remember who gave you what while you're out in the woods using it...

but the tabbed catalogs work well if you do want to 'hint'...

DLFrost
05-06-2006, 01:37
While I don't mean to start a thread on the best pack or the value of under quilts (I have seen the light and eventually will upgrade) I am curious how those of you using wide ccf pads pack 'em.

I don't use wide ones anymore because I got one of Ed Speer's Segmented Pad Extenders and can use the best, lightest pads without regard to whether they're wide enough. Because they're broken up into pieces and/or stacked, the pads ruck/rumple a lot less. It's also a lot easier to use regular width pads as cylindrical framesheets if you're into that.

Something you can try that I've suggested here a few times: "Scroll-roll" the pad. That is, roll it up from both ends so that they meet in the middle of the pad, and apply a strap or two. The two smaller cylinders together lie flatter than the one big one you usually get. With RobK's pad you might fold it in half lengthwise, scroll-roll it, and then secure it to the pack--perhaps under a top pocket lid, or low on the back so it makes the pack free-standing when you set it down. If you leave it long and secure it vertically along the pack your raincover can probably be smaller because the pad's bulk lies flatter.

Doug Frost