PDA

View Full Version : tent for flip

kyerger
04-30-2006, 11:16
I need your help in getting a tent for my flip-flop starting in SNP in one month. I have a single wall eureka 2 person tent now but I am worried about getting wet in it. I want your adivise and what will work. I want a rain fly, 2 person sence me and wife are going and of course light as possible. any suggestions? Thank u all for the input.

cannonball
04-30-2006, 12:42
Sierra designs lightning. Weight about 4.5 lb. free standing double walled tent with lots of room for 2 adults. Lots of screen area with rain fly off. Great in bad wheather. Easy , quick set up.:banana To save space in my pack I roll up tightly the tent, fly, and foot print and wrap a few rubber bands around each. the poles can easily be fixed to the outside of ones pack.

DrewNC2005
04-30-2006, 14:25
I hear Henry Shires will be rolling out his Double Rainbow soon. That'll be worth a look.

neo
04-30-2006, 15:01
I need your help in getting a tent for my flip-flop starting in SNP in one month. I have a single wall eureka 2 person tent now but I am worried about getting wet in it. I want your adivise and what will work. I want a rain fly, 2 person sence me and wife are going and of course light as possible. any suggestions? Thank u all for the input.

:D i never get wet or condensation with my set up,less than 2 and a half pounds:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10579&c=577

DrewNC2005
04-30-2006, 16:01
:D i never get wet or condensation with my set up,less than 2 and a half pounds:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10579&c=577

Didn't he specify he needed a two person set up? Is that a two person hammock?

Tinker
04-30-2006, 16:24
I use one of these: http://www.moontrail.com/tents/msr_bughut2.html On warm weather hikes with another person. I throw a 10x12 foot silnylon tarp over it for weather protection. When it gets windy, I can peg the tarp to the ground for rain protection. In light rain without wind, I use my two trekking poles to prop up the fly in front. It makes quite a spacious porch for two or three. I only have 35mm pictures of thisn setup, or I'd post them.

Hana_Hanger
04-30-2006, 18:11
I was in the same boat and broke down and purchased the revised Eureka! Pinnacle Pass 2XTA
I really love it...I was soooo surprised...2 doors, plenty of room for two persons, and a castle for one person.

Two very large vestibles...room for one 3500 size pack, your boots, and poles, water and even a small soft cooler on just one side. Perfect if you hike with large dogs also. It also has light weight aluminum poles. Wow did it ever hold up in the rain and the wind. This tent took 3 days of non-stop winds with gusts up to 30 mph and even more at times...heavy down pour and not a drop inside. And no flapping, tight pitch.
I did not seam seal anything either. I am not in love with the colors of the mossy green, but will say it helps you hide if you need too.

I am not a tent person...but for the low cost and how well this tent performs I am very impressed! OH the only negative thing I found was...the small snaps on the bottom of the rain fly ...started rusting in just 3 days by the sea.
Velcro would of been a better option for Eureka to put there...not a big deal for I never really used them, as far as snapping them down.

I will post a couple of tent pictures...and yes I am very aware that for some reason in the USA most to not think Eureka is equal with the rest of the big guys...wow in Europe it is hot including the great tents Coleman puts out for them there.(not offered here :()

The weight would be a big issue for some, but with two people both would only have to divide up the 5lbs...forget about it weighing 4 lbs 11 oz as stated...that is a joke!! PLENTY of head room and mesh everywhere for star grazing! Also if you are 6' 4" or more I don't care what is stated you will have problems with your sleeping bag touching the ends of the tent. Unless you do not toss and turn that is :P
All in all I do love this tent.. :) but this does not mean I am not saving up for the new Rainbow 2 coming out for my thru-hike.

Sorry for long post, and no I did not even say I was comfortable sleeping on the ground...look closely you will see my hammock hanging behind the tent. But with the winds and rain I did sleep in the tent and gave it a good test for the hike I was suppose to be on already :(

Heater
04-30-2006, 21:17
Didn't he specify he needed a two person set up? Is that a two person hammock?

It never stopped neo from throwing out the hammock comments before.

Yeah, It would take 2 hammocks at around FIVE TOTAL POUNDS as per neo's measurements. Not good even if they are splitting weight and consider the other options.

Heater
04-30-2006, 21:21
It never stopped neo from throwing out the hammock comments before.

Yeah, It would take 2 hammocks at around FIVE TOTAL POUNDS as per neo's measurements. Not good even if they are splitting weight and consider the other options.

That's probably summer weight as well.

kyerger
05-01-2006, 02:59
Neo...got one question about hammocks. Do they swing when two people are in them? Are they good for this type of activity that I am asking about?

hikerjohnd
05-01-2006, 07:06
Neo...got one question about hammocks. Do they swing when two people are in them? Are they good for this type of activity that I am asking about?

Neo wouldn't know...:D