PDA

View Full Version : Crampons if starting March 1st?

Blissful
04-30-2006, 19:38
My start date for 2007 has moved up to March 1st - which means cold weather / likely snow hiking. Are crampons needed and if so, what kinds are lightweight and work best? I have Salomon canyon GTX boots.

Thanks!

sleepwalker
04-30-2006, 20:35
Have you looked into StabilIcers? These are vibram soles with with sheetmetal screws in the bottom for traction. These work great in the ice and are a lot easier to walk in. Crampons have to come on and off as need arises and the stabilicers can stay on. Unless you are planning on lots of vertical ice these are a good option. Even if you don't need them right off the bat they are a nice security item.

Pacific Tortuga
04-30-2006, 20:39
On the Pacific Crest Trail ?

bulldog49
05-01-2006, 12:40
You might encounter a few icy patches but not enough that I would carry crampons. At most, a pair of Yak Trax will suffice.

erichlf
05-01-2006, 13:21
Crampons, on the AT? If you are on the PCT or the CDT, yes, but the AT? I wouldn't imagine you would need crampons.

Blissful
05-01-2006, 19:15
Instep crampons for snowy sections is what I'm asking about - esp in the Smokies where there is bound to be snow and ice that early in mid March. Thanks

fiddlehead
05-01-2006, 22:22
Crampons, on the AT? If you are on the PCT or the CDT, yes, but the AT? I wouldn't imagine you would need crampons.

I've never needed crampons on any of the 3 major trails.
The closest i ever came to needing them was on the AT (southbound winter hike) and simply screwed pan head screws into predrilled holes in my running shoes to get the traction i needed on the black ice we encountered in Maine.
The Smokies were a bit icy in spots but it seemed to be downhill for us so we just slid. again, i had the sheet metal screws along but only needed them that one day in maine.
Didn't encounter black ice on the PCT or the CDT.

BlackCloud
05-02-2006, 09:46
Dude, if you think you need full fledged crampons on the AT (White Mtns in non-summer aside) you need to do a little more research before starting your hike;

'cause you don't know what you're doin.......:cool:

Blissful
05-02-2006, 11:32
Well dude, that's why I'm posting, to ask for info. I've read trail journals where people use "instep" crampons for the ice and snow in the Smokies ( I had neglected to put "instep" in my intial question) and want to know if it's necesasry. And we've had a major blizzard in VA in mid March. Plus I got a bad ankle, so I don't wish to mess it up further.

Glad people know a lot more than me, which is why we have these forums. So please share your vast wisdom and knowledge instead of ridiculing a question and the person.

Thanks, dude!

mingo
05-02-2006, 12:53
this year in mid-march, the a.t. through the smokies, at least north from newfound gap down to charlie's bunion, was like a damn skating rink when i tried to hike it. after falling down a couple times, i gave up and went lower. i definitely could have used crampons then. i think it was a little unusual though. most of the time, there's ice up there that time of year but you can walk around it.

BlackCloud
05-02-2006, 14:22
Well dude, that's why I'm posting, to ask for info. I've read trail journals where people use "instep" crampons for the ice and snow in the Smokies ( I had neglected to put "instep" in my intial question) and want to know if it's necesasry. And we've had a major blizzard in VA in mid March. Plus I got a bad ankle, so I don't wish to mess it up further.

Glad people know a lot more than me, which is why we have these forums. So please share your vast wisdom and knowledge instead of ridiculing a question and the person.

Thanks, dude!

Now the "instep" kind of changes things doesn't it. Communicating w/ specificity has its advantages. Insteps and crampons are about as different as kayaks and motorboats.

Yes, the forum is to ask questions, fair enough, so ask away. And yes, I'm an arrogant ass.

Nothing we can do about it here....

chicote
05-02-2006, 15:54
Now the "instep" kind of changes things doesn't it. Communicating w/ specificity has its advantages. Insteps and crampons are about as different as kayaks and motorboats.

Yes, the forum is to ask questions, fair enough, so ask away. And yes, I'm an arrogant ass.

Nothing we can do about it here....

You should take the time to read all the posts. Then your "specificity" would have been communicated. And about the "Arrogant ass" comment - very true. You can do something about it. I suggest you do. :D

kyhipo
05-02-2006, 16:11
well I think its a good question myself,and I have not hiked in the south besides Ky in march but I have up north and yes I wished I had had some crampons at times,not all the time but ya neva know:-? ky,I did hike in Tenn one march I try ti forget the acl tear hike;) .

BlackCloud
05-03-2006, 07:18
You can do something about it. I suggest you do. :D

NO GOOD!
NEVER!
NO!

Blissful
05-11-2006, 20:13
These looked interesting. Anyone use these?

http://www.ula-equipment.com/axis.htm

chicote
05-16-2006, 12:40
Wonder if the Aluminum teeth would bend easily if you hit a rock with them.

lucky luke
05-18-2006, 02:40
high blissfull,

leave them at home. i have done new hampshire in november, the smokies in january. ny to wva. in jan and february. those few steep steps that might ice over are not worth carrying crampons, not even in winter. maybe you have to improve your technique on snow and ice if you feel you need crampons.

greets
lucky luke

mingo
05-18-2006, 14:01
high blissfull,

leave them at home. i have done new hampshire in november, the smokies in january. ny to wva. in jan and february. those few steep steps that might ice over are not worth carrying crampons, not even in winter. maybe you have to improve your technique on snow and ice if you feel you need crampons.

greets
lucky luke

maybe that's why they call you lucky, luke. you were able to hike in the winter without running into much ice. there are times when you can't walk on the trail without crampons. it's not very often in march in the south but it happens.