PDA

View Full Version : Hiking after Dark

hobbit
05-01-2006, 14:57
how many people have done this....... any pointers or tips???? good or bad experience.......
plus would you be offended if someone strolled into the shelter at like midnight or would you be fine with it>

Thanks

Footslogger
05-01-2006, 15:02
Bears are active at night ...AND THEY WALK THE TRAILS.

and yes, I think some hikers would be somewhat ripped if you walked in at O'dark hundred and made a lot of noise. If you're quiet it's no big deal.

'Slogger

mingo
05-01-2006, 15:07
walking at night is fun. you see the lights of town, stars in the sky, occasionally the red eyes of unidentifiable creature. it's a nice change. i personally don't care when people show up at shelters. i figure if i'm staying in a shelter, i have to take what comes. if i want privacy, i should tent.

Seeker
05-01-2006, 15:12
i agree... it's a completely different experience... you seem to hear more sounds too... the stars and moonlight are neat. animals are more active. you just have to walk a little slower. still a lot of fun though.

as far as shelters, just be as quiet as you can, and don't shine your light over toward me more than once... i understand coming in late...sometimes stuff just happens, or whatever it was took longer than you planned...

TJ aka Teej
05-01-2006, 15:21
Hi Hobbit
It done all the time, and in my opinion you should be prepared to do it when circumstances call for an after dark walk.

Ender
05-01-2006, 15:23
It's a lot of fun. My favorite time was when I watched a thunderstorm approaching from across a valley, the lightning occasionally flashing, closer and closer each time. Got to the shelter in plenty of time.

If you are going to show up at a shelter, be as quiet as possible, and be prepared to tent, since people aren't likely to wake up and move their stuff just so you can sleep in the shelter. If there's room though, it's usually not a problem as long as you're quiet.

Alligator
05-01-2006, 15:38
I do it all the time, just slow down a little. Make sure your headlamp is in good working order and have good batteries in it. Spares help. If you are pulling into the shelter late, be quiet. It's courteous to set up a personal shelter. It's rare for anyone to pull in the shelter later than I generally go to bed, but the last time I was out a couple pulled in at 3:00 am. Climbed into the top bunk no less. That was just plain ridiculous. Breaking camp the next morning was a very spirited affair;) .

Burn
05-01-2006, 16:03
night hiking is fun and you can stage for a big day or short day the following day. best to stay away from shelters if yer night hiking, unless you get water there...most of the complaints i heard about shelters was snoring or so n so rolled in late and had the nerve to wake us up and then made lotsa noise cooking. i would recommend since yer gonna night hike that you wait till yer ankles are pretty used to the roll and twist of the woods and trail....once you build up a tollerance, you'll be amazed at how much your feet just seem to know how to step without thinking about it...then you can do whatever you want to. use more hking pole effort just to protect and feel...also use yer ears more. be sure to stop now and then just to listen to the woods....its kinda interesting the stuff you hear when its dark that you wouldn't percieve in the daylight

jazilla
05-01-2006, 16:12
If you do hike at night, give your eyes time to adjust after the sun goes down. At least half an hour. It will make the experience better if you adapt. Plus shadows can give you a false since of depth. If you have to use a light close one eye, preferably your dominant eye. I learned to walk in the dark in the mountains of Korea. Lots of ups and downs and no trails. You would be amazed at how different hiking is at night than in the day. Nature comes alive at night.

Footslogger
05-01-2006, 16:20
After reading several of the posts it looks like I'm really in the minority here. Maybe I'm jaded ...too many night patrols in the Army.

'Slogger

Smile
05-01-2006, 17:04
Late hikers wake people up usually, and no guarantee of space....set up a personal shelter....why even use a shelter? Just stop and camp where you grow tired.....

LostInSpace
05-01-2006, 17:18
Running into a big mess 'o poison ivy as you gaze at the stars could have an impact on your hiking philosophy! :D

RITBlake
05-01-2006, 18:17
tried it, didn't care for it. Too slow and too cumbersome for me. The times I did it I was by myself and had a pretty low light headlamp. It would probably be a lot more fun w/ a buddy.

Spock
05-01-2006, 19:38
Night hiking, yes, it's great.
Barging into shelters in middle of the night, Not if you want to escape unscathed. Tired hikers often take it badly. Some throw rocks.

Best critter watching is around dusk and lots of critters use the trail. In warm months this includes rattlesnakes. Any other time it includes bears. Early one morning in '03, I caught up to a young man who had passed me at dusk the night before, planning to put in several more hours in the dark. He was camped right next to the trail and his food bag hung about 5 feet up a tree on the other side of the trail. He claimed there were "bears all over the trail - at least six" and he had thrown up his tent and jumped inside to "save himself." The trail was covered with deer tracks. Not a bear track in sight. Lucky him.

k-n
05-01-2006, 20:02
sometimes you gotta drac pack. i rememember walking 5 miles from pen mar to a shelter at nite in a downpour. the guys at the shelter were a little startled to see 3 people pouring in at 11 pm.

ed bell
05-01-2006, 20:15
I often find myself hiking after dark to maximize a weekend trip, or to get a short overnight trip in. If you are prepared it can be a great experience. LED headlamps will frustrate your progress. The best light is natural moonlight, so keeping up with moon phases and weather can really enhance your experience. I have a powerful headlamp that would not be a good choice for a long trip or thru, but on my weekend jaunts I'm happy to have it. Most of my night trips involve familiar trails, so I would be reluctant to hit a new path after dark. The AT, on the other hand, has always been fairly easy to follow at night. Those White Blazes seem to jump out at you after dark.:sun

Rendezvous01
05-01-2006, 20:20
Night hiking? Plan on it! Rounds out the overall hiking experience.

Just pick your terrainand weather carefully--I would not recommend trying to cover a rocky stretch in the dark or nighthiking in a downpour. Have your headlamp at the ready, but hike with it turned off--you'll see more and enjoy more. Just don't plan on being in a hurry.

I late-evening hiked into Boiling Springs under a full moon, arriving close to midnight. It was exhilarating, even though most of those last three miles sauntering in the dark were trekking between fields of corn. Also late-hiked into Damascus, leaving Abingdon Gap shelter after supper time, motivated by the thoughts of pizza and beer. As an economics professor once taught me, Incentives Matter!

Try fixing supper at a shelter, then hit the trail again just about sunset, then hike just as long as you feel like it--you may only go a mile or two, you may decide to hike all night. (This is an especially great technique to use if there are easily impressed section hikers at the shelter you leave--adds to the aura of thru-hikerness.)

Doctari
05-01-2006, 21:21
For some good instructions / hints for night hiking go to Sgt Rock's page: http://hikinghq.net/night_hiking.html

Eye opening. It is in my hiking notebook I carry on the trail as a reminder of "How to".

Doctari.

neo
05-01-2006, 22:09
how many people have done this....... any pointers or tips???? good or bad experience.......
plus would you be offended if someone strolled into the shelter at like midnight or would you be fine with it>

Thanks

:D love it,night hiking is awesome:cool: neo

greentick
05-01-2006, 22:27
After reading several of the posts it looks like I'm really in the minority here. Maybe I'm jaded ...too many night patrols in the Army.

'Slogger

I'm with ya 'Slogger and other nightcrawlers. If you are noisy pulling into a shelter remember that the favor may be returned early in the morning. Like Ed Bell said if you have moonlight that is the ultimate in night walking otherwise I use LED headlamp.

SGTdirtman
05-01-2006, 23:18
I never willingly hiked at night but I have a few times when I was late and didnt make it to the shelter or campsite I had planned before sunset. Its fun, interesting and a good thing to be able to do in an emergency, but I prefer sleeping at night.

And not that I'd ever sleep in a shelter but in the odd case I did, If you came strolling into the shelter at midnight I wouldnt be mad. In fact I'd probably ask if you were ok.

TwoForty
05-02-2006, 00:07
I've never stayed at a shelter where people didn't show up at 3am or so. Of course, I've only sheltered in GSMNP.

Ridge
05-02-2006, 02:34
I usually always started before light, I rarely stay in shelters so it wasn't a big deal. You miss some scenery, may step on a snake or possum, but I like it, as long as no ice is on the ground and the trail is not too technical.

hobbit
05-02-2006, 07:56
Thanks for all the advice guys yeah i'm def going now even though my ride/hiking buddy can't get out of work until 7 30 ish its gonna be fun...... but i think we will avoid the shelter now or at least carry our own shelter because it would suck if we showed up and the people in it were hogging it and i wouldn't wake them up to ask them to move....... keep the advice or storys coming its awesome to see that when you ask for advice that you need you get it..... thanks again guys

partly cloudy
05-02-2006, 15:38
Did the nothern section of Md last week. Got to PennMar late in the evening and headed out. By the time I got to High Rock, it was dark. The headlamp worked fine and the trail was easy to follow. Maybe a more rocky section of trail would of been difficult. Only made it about 1 1/2 mile from High Rock and stealth camped along the western ridge. What a view at night. The lights of Hagerstown and the smaller towns below and the big dipper above. This was an added thrill. My animal spirit is the black bear. The big dipper is Ursa Major, big bear. Swingin' in my hammock, lights below, big bear above, what could be better??

Traction
05-02-2006, 16:05
night hiking is a love of mine.. just let your feet power you along.. it's suprising how well they find the trail.. also.. you see fewer people at night.. and more creepy critters.. which.. makes you feel like some sort of animal.. well i do anyway.. plus another things that's fun about it.. if you're thruhiking.. you can totally throw off other thrus who are on the trail near you.. because typically everyone has an idea of who is in front of them and who is behind them.. so it's fun to bypass others at night and sleep further up the trail.. then you walk to the next shelter first thing in the morning and wait for them to get there.. they're faces are good for a laugh..

about going into a shelter at night.. if it's late late and i'm tired i usually just find a spot right along the trail and crawl in my bag.. but don't feel like you can't go into a shelter if it's raining.. that's when you try to be quiet and if there is no space.. but there could be.. you weigh your options.. would i rather deal with pissing these people off or deal with setting up my tarp/tent in the rain.. or continue hiking.. for me.. i think i'd rather kindly ask someone to scoot over and if they get pissed... oh well. at least i'm in a dry shelter.. :sun

NotYet
05-02-2006, 19:55
I would often start down the trail about about an hour or so before it got light, enjoying the sounds of the woods as the night creatures were beginning to bed down. The forest would slowly and quietly lighten, and then the sun would burst forth with a mind-boggling variety of colors and moods. Although some of my best memories of my thru-hike were of the spectacular sunrises, I didn't start out hiking in the early morning dark. As a southbounder, my days got shorter and shorter, but luckily, I just kept waking up at the same time every morning.

Whistler
05-03-2006, 10:37
Night-hiking is a nice treat. The darkness makes you take it easy. And there's so much to enjoy that you normally don't. Birds and other critters. Strange eyes in the darkness. City lights and cars. Stars. Streams that are still running in the darkness. It's good stuff. Try it at least once.

As for late shelter arrivals, I wouldn't be too upset. If I were the late arriver though, I'd try to settle in as swiftly and quietly as possible. As in, hang the food, change clothes away from the shelter, get out the sleeping stuff, and go to bed. Being organized helps. You shouldn't need to rummage for a half-hour to go to bed.
-Mark

Big Dawg
05-03-2006, 20:00
Love it!! Especially when the moon's out so you can hike w/o a headlamp.....

enjoyed this night trip south from Allen Gap(NC)!!

edit: ugggghhhh,, can't get the pic to attach?? it's in my pics on WB.

Alligator
05-03-2006, 20:06

edit: ugggghhhh,, can't get the pic to attach?? it's in my pics on WB.
A yet unresolved problem.

Buckles
05-03-2006, 23:59
There's been some good advice here. Give your eyes time to adjust. Recognize that you lose a lot of your depth perception in the dark, even with a headlamp. Don't rush it. Set a steady pace.

My most recent experience hiking in the dark? Two weeks ago, in the company of an A.T. thru-hiker (I won't mention his name without his permission), had dinner in Franklin, N.C., drove 15 miles west to Glade Gap and parked on a USFS road. Started hiking on the Chunky Gal Trail at 10PM. We did 3 miles and a 1,500 foot vertical incline. Arrived at a fog covered ridge (4,800 ft.) and was welcomed by a seriously close clap of thunder. We had just under two minutes to pitch tarps and get under cover. Had sustained thunder, lightning, wind and rain for the next 5 hours. Never got a drop on me.

I was in Heaven!

Viking (US)
05-04-2006, 16:27
Some good stories in this thread. I've had a couple of breathtakingly beautiful experiences nighthiking during clear weather with a full moon. Right out of A Midsummer Night's Dream. That said, if you're doing it because you're pushing on for whatever reason it can be just a pain. Bearbagging is much, much easier in daylight.

And be careful if you're going to a shelter, for your sake if not others. I can't be the only hiker who's ever fallen into a dark firepit. Funny later, surprising and painful at the time. Like others have said, if it's late you should tent, but many people use the shelter to orient themselves in the dark and it can be hard to tell how close you really are.

Skyline
05-04-2006, 16:58
I night hike regularly in SNP. It's an advantage to living closeby I guess. Usually I start out in daylight, hike through dusk, and return in the dark. Being on familiar trail makes it more of a joy.

If it works out, I like the return portion to be at least partly on Skyline Drive. You see a lot more up there than on any trail...views, stars, and if you're lucky distant lightning. Quite a show. Add a bright moon and it's nirvana. (I've wrapped reflective tape around my Lekis as a safety measure so the sparse nighttime traffic can see there's a damn fool hiker on the road.)

I've learned a lesson the hard way to ALWAYS have a reliable second light source that I can get to EASILY. The (incadescent) light bulb in my old-style Petzl abruptly died on me one night when it was rainy, foggy, and totally dark. Took me hours to "feel" my way to the trailhead. Gave me an appreciation for Bill Irwin, and taught me the aforementioned lesson.

Speaking of fog, when it's thick, night-hiking can become a slow crawl because you can't see much. Trail intersections and turnoffs to trailheads just melt into the darkness and you can easily pass them by. Even on familiar trail.

Out of necessity, certainly not by choice, I wound up night hiking in the 100 Mile Wilderness twice in '03. The Rain Year. Make that the Fog Year. Doing this descending East Chairback and White Cap is NOT fun in the fog, especially on unfamiliar trail. One might say it is foolish.

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 17:14
Good thread.

Hobbit, most folks end up night hiking at some point; some even look forward to it (try it on a full moon night, it's pretty cool).

Despite the best of intentions, it is impossible to enter a shelter after dark and set up for the night without waking up some, if not all of the folks who are already there. Unless there's a medical issue or the weather is horrible, courteous hikers who arrive at a shelter after nightfall don't sleep in them.

grrickar
05-04-2006, 18:08
I love night hiking. If you use a LED headlamp, those are not as 'harsh' as incandescent (least not IMO) and the light is sort of like the full moon (bluish white). If you have a ball cap, put the light on over it, so the bill shields your eyes from stray glare. I have hiked some before the sun comes up, and I found it really enjoyable. I usually start early, so hiking after sundown is generally not my cup of tea, just because I hiked all day and am tired.

I was surprised to know that my pace did not change too much between hiking at day and hiking at night. I hiked down to Fontana Dam in the dark, and that was an awesome experience because we could see the lights of the dam well before we got there, and then we got to walk across the dam at night. I can't say that I have ever seen any wildlife at night (or any more than I see in the daytime).

If you get up before dawn and hike, the only thing you have to worry about it being quiet as to not wake people. We typically grab our gear, head out of the shelter and make breakfast, then pack it up and go.

As for people showing up to a shelter late - I have never experienced this, but I have had people who were less than polite in shelters when it came to being quiet to allow people to sleep. I would say be as quiet as you can be hanging your packs and rolling out your gear if you roll in late.

Tin Man
05-05-2006, 10:50
Good thread. I have been avoiding night hiking so I wouldn't miss the scenery and for safety. I did find myself hiking after dark once and I wasn't too happy about it. For one thing, it was all in the trees and lots of rocks and roots to navigate. Secondly, it was after cocktail hour and I was in need of a cocktail after hiking 13 miles and wasting 3 hours in town.

Thanks all for illuminating the plus-side of the night hike.

Jaybird
05-05-2006, 10:58
how many people have done this....... any pointers or tips???? good or bad experience.......plus would you be offended if someone strolled into the shelter at like midnight or would you be fine with it>
Thanks

as stated above...most folks in the shelter are snoring by 9 or 10pm...then you have the NIGHT HIKER....strollin' in @ 1:45a.m....banging his crap all around the shelter...with NO concern for his fellow hikers...lets his dog run amuck in the shelter...& light one up without asking anyone...(now that everyone is awake!)....

YES! it really happened....actual names will be with-held to protect the innocent.:D

Night hikin'....have never liked it.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2006, 11:00
Carry some extra batteries in case your head lamp goes dim.

jaywalke
05-05-2006, 11:23
I love to night hike. I usually get away just for weekends, and I'll drive to the trailhead Friday night and hike for a few hours in the dark to get a jump on the next day.

I have two pieces of advice:
- use an LED lamp (if no moon) to save the need to change bulbs
- practice once, changing the batteries in pitch darkness at home! :-]

hobbit
05-06-2006, 19:20
thanks again guys for the advice just got back from my night hike with my two buddies and i'm not sure as i'd ever do it again.......(kind of really really really creepy) ecspecially when a weasel rubs between your feet as he goes across the trail to my brother yelling and giving us an adrenaline dump the size of texas....... i don't know about the dark making you take it slow though we set our new record for that trail (we've done it a few times) in the dark........despite being kinda creepy it was fun and the feeling of acomplishment after getting to the shelter was well worth it. (no worries no one was there but we brought hammocks in case) thanks again guys good post
happy trails

ed bell
05-06-2006, 20:29
Hobbit, glad your trip was a success. As far as the creeps go, I got a serious case of them the first time I hiked in to meet some friends by myself hours after dark. It definitly quickened my pace. There is something about getting that creepy feeling when there is nothing actually there. Seems like some sort of instinct kicks in and there is nothing you can do to control it. I started singing to myself, and that helped. I will say that over the years I have grown to love the night and I am much less prone to getting the willies.:sun

SGTdirtman
05-07-2006, 13:03
Its normal to get the "creeps". You do it enough times it wont bother you anymore... I just got back from hiking the batona trail and I did about 10 miles after dark since I was more creeped out during the day because of all the people.:mad: At night it was just me some frogs :D

Skyline
05-07-2006, 17:42
thanks again guys for the advice just got back from my night hike with my two buddies and i'm not sure as i'd ever do it again.......(kind of really really really creepy) ecspecially when a weasel rubs between your feet as he goes across the trail to my brother yelling and giving us an adrenaline dump the size of texas....... i don't know about the dark making you take it slow though we set our new record for that trail (we've done it a few times) in the dark........despite being kinda creepy it was fun and the feeling of acomplishment after getting to the shelter was well worth it. (no worries no one was there but we brought hammocks in case) thanks again guys good post
happy trails

Many people find it kinda creepy the first time or two they CAMP in the woods at night. Blame the Blair Witch maybe? After you camp overnight in deep woods a couple times the creep factor begins to subside for most of us. Same with night hiking in my experience.

Spock
05-07-2006, 18:29
Something else, Hobbit:
Very important... Headlamps wash out shadows and make the trail look smoother than it is. A hand held light is better for seeing the rocks and dips. The problem is the hand held light is incompatible with two hiking poles, but poles are good for night walking. If I'm feeling insecure, I pack up one pole and carry the light in one hand. Now, a light that clipped to my belt might be the answer, but I haven't contrived one.

Tin Man
05-07-2006, 20:34
I try to avoid Backpacking at night, but I do enjoy going to the privy or just wandering around in the dark outside of camp with my headlamp turned off. I can see more without my headlamp and I like the feeling of being alone in the woods with the night sounds.

lbbrown
05-08-2006, 10:26
Its normal to get the "creeps". You do it enough times it wont bother you anymore... I just got back from hiking the batona trail and I did about 10 miles after dark since I was more creeped out during the day because of all the people.:mad: At night it was just me some frogs :D
The Batona Trail was a good hike. Find some of the Tom Brown wilderness shelters and stay in them. Be sure you have a map of all those back roads in the Barrens. They all look alike after a while. Don't let the JD get ya!

SGTdirtman
05-08-2006, 11:13
Something else, Hobbit:
Very important... Headlamps wash out shadows and make the trail look smoother than it is. A hand held light is better for seeing the rocks and dips. The problem is the hand held light is incompatible with two hiking poles, but poles are good for night walking. If I'm feeling insecure, I pack up one pole and carry the light in one hand. Now, a light that clipped to my belt might be the answer, but I haven't contrived one.

In most cases on a clear night a flashlight of any kind is counter productive and you dont need one.

downhill
05-09-2006, 17:36
Hobbit, glad your trip was a success. As far as the creeps go, I got a serious case of them the first time I hiked in to meet some friends by myself hours after dark. It definitly quickened my pace. There is something about getting that creepy feeling when there is nothing actually there. Seems like some sort of instinct kicks in and there is nothing you can do to control it. I started singing to myself, and that helped. I will say that over the years I have grown to love the night and I am much less prone to getting the willies.:sun

i also sing and talk to myself, even if i feel fine, it just helps me keep a good pace. that hike was awesome. would of been better without the weasel "attack" ha ha.

downhill