PDA

View Full Version : THE Databook

snowman2005
05-02-2006, 05:20
Thought I'd let you all know that I now have THE Databook - Thru-Hiker Electronic Online Databook - up on a test server for your perusal.

WHAT IS 'THE DATABOOK' I hear you cry???? :-?

It is the beginnings of a development to create an online data book for Appalachian Trail Thru- & Section Hikers. It is a place where you control the amount of data you want to carry with you.

It can also be anything else you want from an AT databook. While it is being developed I welcome ideas, thoughts and suggestions on how it should develop.

Find it at: www.hikerbox.net (http://www.hikerbox.net)

Snowman
GAME 2005

SGT Rock
05-02-2006, 05:45
Outstanding! Good work Snowman.

snowman2005
05-02-2006, 06:53
Thanks SGT! I've posted the same notice in some of the other long distance trail forums, hope you don't mind.

THE Databook is (hopefully) designed to handle multiple trails, although I'll be focussing on the AT during development, but some of the AT principles may not work well for other trails - I dunno unless someone lets me know.

Snowman
GAME-05

chicote
05-04-2006, 20:13
Very very nice work. I commend you on the patience you must have to code that.

Smile
05-04-2006, 22:09
I wish you the best of success!

snowman2005
05-19-2006, 05:31
:) I thought I'd let you all know that THE Databook now gives you the ability to maintain the trail data, and I have added the elevation chart. Oh, and I've added category symbols instead of the codes.

To date I have added all the Shelters for Georgia and I'm in the process of adding all the Water places. Please feel free to add your own.

the goat
05-19-2006, 17:18
badass. great idea, snowman.

snowman2005
05-23-2006, 16:21
Hey folks, I have completed the AT data entry for Georgia.

Now I'm looking for hiker volunteers to enter more data? Why not adopt a trail section - make a difference to future hikers.

I won't be entering any more data for quite a while as I will spend some time adding more features to the site and setting up listing and elevation map features. Let me know what you would like.

swift
05-23-2006, 16:40
Where are all the statistics derived from? The information, mileages, elevations.... how did you come about them?

snowman2005
05-24-2006, 07:30
Hey Swift, the data for Georgia is from a variety of web info sources, some data I was sent and my own hike notes and memories.

If you want to get at more data than is currently in THE Databook, I have a section of links on Hikerbox.net pointing to various sources, plus you could also do a Google search for AT data, shelters, water etc.