PDA

View Full Version : Uwharrie National Forest advice.

geminicat77
05-02-2006, 09:13
Hi,
Friends and I want to make an day hike in Uwharrie National Forest this wkend, but we can't make up our minds on which trail is good for a 1-day hike. Any of u have any suggestions?

--Raleigh Cat.

The Solemates
05-02-2006, 10:11
There is a 20-mile trail through the forest that we have done and its pretty nice, although its been years since. Is there a lot of trails to chose from? I was under the impression there werent.

g8trh8tr
05-02-2006, 11:16
Here is the link to the site describing all the trails. The last time I hiked it(last fall) I hiked the 20 mile Uwharrie trail and the trail was pretty overgrown.

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm

C-Stepper
05-03-2006, 07:58
The "main trail" is a figure 8 of the Dutchman's Creek Trail and Uwharrie Trail; you could just do one of the loops instead of the entire figure 8. Going from memory, this would give you about a 12 miler (lower loop) or a 9 miler (northern loop).

I've hiked this trail several times; it's well marked (white blazed for Uwharrie, yellow blazed for Dutchman) and I've not seen it overgrown. However, it could grow up in summer I suppose. I avoid summer (due to rumors of prolific rattlers).

I borrowed a book from Eva Perry library that had a trail guide in it; here's an online link to the book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964369834/103-7880498-3437410?v=glance&n=283155

Jerm
05-03-2006, 11:42
the 20 mile Uwharrie Trail is one way. i also suggset the figure 8 loop. it starts at the southern end of the Uwharrie Trail. both the uwharrie trail and the dutchman's creek trail leave from this parking lot off highway 24/27, 10 miles west of troy.

last time i was there was in the spring of 05 when everything was blooming/growing like crazy and nothing was overgrown. the area is popular w/ scouts and other youth type groups, so the trails stay worn.

sherrill
05-03-2006, 13:04
If you do the Dutchman's creek loop, from what I remember, there was quite a bit of mud hopping. This was from last year in a fairly dry spell.

SuperTroll
05-03-2006, 14:48
Leave food outside camp for the Special Forces Troops who train in the Forest...........:-)

RockyTrail
05-03-2006, 18:13
I avoid summer (due to rumors of prolific rattlers).

Funny you should mention that, the Uwharries are the only place I ever camped where we got a snake in the tent (yes it was a rattler). But that was a no-floor tent in the 1970s, it came in during the day but we found it just before suppertime thank goodness.

swede
05-03-2006, 21:10
Rei in near Cary has a good selection of regional guidebooks. I picked up a copy of the Uwharrie Lakes Region Trail Guide, and it's full of hike trips for the Uwharrie, Badin, Morrow, birkhead areas. Have fun, and watch for Mr No Shoulders.:D