PDA

View Full Version : How do you make coffee when on the trail?

sirbingo
05-02-2006, 12:48
One of my greatest pleasures is having a good cup of coffee in the morning before starting out the days hike.

How do you fellow coffee players make your coffee when out in the woods?

Footslogger
05-02-2006, 13:09
I use the bags for tea, coffee and cider.

'Slogger

Bjorkin
05-02-2006, 13:41
Jetboil french press. Easy and quick, but mostly because I would use the Jetboil anyway I may as well use their coffee accessory.

Hikes in Rain
05-02-2006, 13:48
Cowboy coffee. Used to use an old aluminum single cup drip thing that fit right inside my Sierra cup. Had it's backdraws, though, since it wouldn't balance on my cup without a couple of twig "splints" to bridge the gap. Made a regular six-ounce cup, which was nowhere near enough, and couldn't cram enough coffee into it to fill the Sierra without ending up with either weak coffee (*shudder*) or a clogged filter. Plus I had to heat more water for each cup. Finally said a couple of cuss words, tossed the loose coffee into the pot and let is steep, for the richest, albeit chewiest, coffee you'd want.

max patch
05-02-2006, 13:53
Instant.

Although on my thru after a couple of weeks I went to cold breakfasts to avoid the hassle of cooking and enjoyed coffee only in towns.

Dances with Mice
05-02-2006, 13:56
How do you fellow coffee players make your coffee when out in the woods?http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp

Nice size, shape, weight, and price. Got it at a grocery store. Worked so well I bought another one for work.

kyhipo
05-02-2006, 14:04
I usually bring tea, instant coffee, and regular ground coffee.I like to boil my grounds and let it sit a bit,yummy:D . I am checking into a press,seeing how thats my method at home.ky

cannonball
05-02-2006, 14:08
Instant. BTW, it sucks.

Gray Blazer
05-02-2006, 14:17
I use my AAA battery powered backpacker's super light microwave to heat the water up, then add instant maxwell house.

bulldog49
05-02-2006, 16:46
You left out the most common way to make coffee on the trail, instant.

Fiddler
05-02-2006, 17:19
If you can edit the poll choices add instant and I will vote for that. "Other" just covers too many ways, many of them odd-ball.

Auntie Mame
05-02-2006, 17:26
Bagged up instant coffee with dry milk and cream, can stand in for a latte of sorts, while carrying in and cleaning up is minimal. If its just the caffeine, No-Doz could keep a hiker headache free temporarily. I love good coffee, so often drink black tea when hiking. But the above isn't bad. Just don't compare it to the good stuff.

Skidsteer
05-02-2006, 17:34
http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_travel_cup.asp

Nice size, shape, weight, and price. Got it at a grocery store. Worked so well I bought another one for work.

http://www.smartcafe.co.uk/products/hot_cafetiere_mugs.asp

Hey Dances,

I have one of the travel cups pictured in your link as well as the mug as shown in my link. It brews the same amount but weighs a bit less.

I think I just figured out why, on another thread, your weight for the Smartcafe was different from mine. :-? Shouldn't have sledge-hammered that scale.....

Got both of mine from a grocery store as well. Publix, I think. About $10.00 apiece.

wilderness bob
05-02-2006, 19:31
I answered another thread once before with the following and glad to pass it on once again,

I make what is called Mocoa, I may be spelling it wrong but, who cares. One scoop of instant coffee, one packet of hot cocoa, one scoop of sugar and one scoop of powdered cream. I kept the coffee, sugar and cream each in a small separate Tupperware container. Two were eventually replaced with pilfered cream and sugar packets. All combined made a great tasting mix. Sugar and caffeine does the body good.

Spock
05-02-2006, 21:05
Cowboy coffee using Turkish or espresso grind.

brancher
05-02-2006, 21:35
I like to have one really good cup of coffee in the morning. But I also like energy. so I put a coffee bag into a cup of water and mix it with one packet of cocoa.

Don't need sugar, or milk, or anything else.

The evening beverage is tea, if anything.

txulrich
05-03-2006, 09:01
Some will find this bordering on heresy, but coffee is poison and I never touch the stuff. Just never aquired the taste for it.

sirbingo
05-03-2006, 09:40
sorry to those that want me to add Instant Coffee...I can't edit my posts?!?!
:(

Dances with Mice
05-03-2006, 10:04
Got both of mine from a grocery store as well. Publix, I think. About $10.00 apiece.I also saw the mugs at the store (Publix, right!) but I got the travel version without the handle just because it's easier to pack. The mug might be lighter.

Then I got one for work because it allows me to have Community or Luzianne when no one else appreciates dark roasts with chickory.

The only problem I've had is that if I go on vacation for a week and don't clean it out first l can find proof of the Theory of Evolution inside when I return.

Tin Man
05-03-2006, 12:42
Good old fashion percolator pot. Instant grounds, instant bags, French Press, drip filter, hanging filter, and doing without didn't do it for me.

docllamacoy
05-12-2006, 15:06
Cowboy coffee, every morning.
I did use the single coffee bags at first, but they just don't taste as good to me since you're limited on the choices. You can pretty much bring whichever type of coffee you like out there when you use the other methods.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2006, 23:26
I'm an old-fashioned girl - I use an aluminum teaball to brew coffee. Works well and keeps most of the grounds out of my mug. Taster's Choice freeze-dried instant is my second choice. It taste much better than most instant coffees.

Vi+
05-13-2006, 19:57
I drink tea, in bags, in a strainer, skimming off the leaves with a spoon or just through my teeth. The last method leaves me with a really appealing smile. Real country. You can just hear the banjoes from “Deliverance.” Excellent repellent. Just quietly stare blankly and sullenly into your tea; quickly stops annoying shelter mate behavior.

I used to drink coffee but I drank too much of it and just stopped “cold turkey” one day. My wife wasn’t too happy about that. She was left to drink up twenty pounds of French Roast Coffee beans which weren’t her favorite; it took her a while. And it took up valued freezer space.

I don’t know all the definitions of “Cowboy Coffee” but two methods I used were: (1) Pour boiling water over roasted ground coffee. When it’s ready to drink, gently slip in a bit of cold water; the grounds, well most of them anyway, settle to the bottom, and/or; (2) if your coffee is too acidic, add a piece of egg shell, with the inner membrane removed, to your coffee.

JJB
05-21-2006, 16:42
I use one of the MSR cone type filters. Takes a bit to get it done, but the results are worth it. Need my coffee in the morning!!!

Tinker
05-21-2006, 17:31
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13559&memberId=12500226

But I use my pencil (which I carry anyway) to hold the filter. Also, I buy two cup filters, cut them down, and punch a hole in them with a paper punch. very effective. Must be careful pouring in water, though, or bag can dump grounds into cup.

Streamweaver
05-22-2006, 12:10
I was watching a show About Firejumpers the other day on Discovery Channell. The jumpers had a very lightweight way of having their morning coffee,they just put a spoonfull of instant coffee in their mouth and washed it down with cold water! LOL not fer me thanks! Dont seem like it would be to good for your teeth and gums!:D

Pirate
05-22-2006, 15:39
I use coffee and boiling water.

gsingjane
05-22-2006, 19:44
I tried regular instant and loathed it. Now I use instant espresso (Medaglia D'Oro brand). It still isn't all that great, but it's a little bit stronger and thicker. I served it to my co-chaperone on a GS camping trip this weekend and she said it actually did the trick for her, so I guess I'll stick with it.

Jane in CT

Dances with Mice
05-22-2006, 20:01
I use coffee and boiling water.BOILING!? Barbarian.

TDale
05-22-2006, 21:05
Javette. Good stuff and easy.

peter_pan
05-23-2006, 07:40
Instant...Folgers crystals...Award winner - No........Work - Yes.

Pan

latte
05-23-2006, 08:13
I like General Foods International Coffee. I buy the sampler package so I can have different flavors every morning and evening (rotating through the 8 flavors of course)! I also do the instant and hot cocoa thing too.

mrc237
05-23-2006, 08:59
I experimented recently with the Jetboil. I had an old tiny perculator pot that I took the basket and tube stand from, then I adjusted the JB lid to fit the glass thigamajig and the result is great 2 cupsakawfee in the AM.

SGT Rock
05-23-2006, 09:26
I did use the single use filter bags, but wanted more in my coffee. I got one of those MSR mugmate coffee filter devices: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47928627&parent_category_rn=4500495&vcat=REI_SEARCH
So now I use a foil pouch with zip lock seal and grind my beans fresh before leaving on the hike then store them in the pouch - keeps them fresh like freshly ground for a few days. I boil up the water and pour it through the coffee in the filter, then use the cap of my Gatorade water bottle to press the coffee out of the grounds like a French press. The only problem is I like it so much I never seem to bring enough coffee. The whole set up only adds an ounce to my pack.

Weights:
Filter without the cap (who needs it?) - 0.7 ounces
Foil pouch bag - 0.3 ounces
Cap for my water bottle (not that it adds any weight I carry it anyway) 0.1 ounce
Coffee - a few grams a day.

UnkaJesse
05-23-2006, 10:00
I use a GSI Lexan French Press. There is notihing better on the trail. It makes a strong brew. I have the smallest size and it makes just a touch more than more than twice my titanium mug.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/LexanResin/coffeeMakers.html

SloHiker
05-23-2006, 10:23
My current favorite (http://store.onefreshcup.com/)...........

Cookerhiker
05-23-2006, 12:01
Off the trail: can't live without it! Always perked with my 50s style percolator when I'm home or car-camping. Otherwise on the road I settle for whatever's offered at convenience stores & hotels.

On the trail: never drink it and don't miss it. Who can figure?

chugger
06-01-2006, 00:43
I bought the stainless expresso maker, and a French press, and a grinder.

Gotta have my coffee, but I don't even go to that much trouble at home.

Taster's Choice for me, guess I'm not a conusuer, but gotta have the hot caffeine, even if it' tea.

mtsanders21
10-05-2006, 12:27
I am worried about purchasing a grinder and a perc. Is this too bulky and heavy? I feel like I can cut something else out so I can make room for coffee. Does anyone have a percolator they would suggest? I found one by Snow Peak that weighs 7 oz and holds 24 fluid oz, and a GSI Javagrind coffee grinder. Or is it worth taking a grinder out? I figure grinding your coffee up before going out has a 5-7 day window before it gets stale. Thanks, Matt

Javasanctum
11-28-2007, 14:07
I am worried about purchasing a grinder and a perc. Is this too bulky and heavy? I feel like I can cut something else out so I can make room for coffee. Does anyone have a percolator they would suggest? I found one by Snow Peak that weighs 7 oz and holds 24 fluid oz, and a GSI Javagrind coffee grinder. Or is it worth taking a grinder out? I figure grinding your coffee up before going out has a 5-7 day window before it gets stale. Thanks, Matt
"Does anyone have a percolator they would suggest? -mtsanders21"

My wife found an aluminium 5-cup percolater in an antique store for $2. She is still wondering where it got to;))
It's light and gives me a place for windscreen storage.

It's not just about the cup of coffee, it's that "java-sanctuary" that you create in the back-country that is almost spiritual. I would never touch percolated coffee off from the trail, but I love listening and watching the pot come to life (especially when there's snow on the grown).

It deppends on your taste. If you want a "scientificlly correct" cup of coffee you use a french press. If you are not picky it sounds like instant is the way to go. For some Percolators rule!

One note: a friend, who is a roaster, told me to treat coffee beans the way you would a loaf of bread when it comes to freshness. A grinder will be a mute point after the second day in the summer. At least try to vaccum pack daily servings.

JAK
11-28-2007, 14:14
I drink more tea than coffee, but on the trail I like my coffee and tea more or less the same way, cowboy style. I would rather not bother with bags or filters. I don't mind instant coffee, but I don't mind chewing on a few grains or spitting out a few leaves either. A small perculator would be fun though. I used to make coffee that way at a hunting camp. We would crack an egg in, shells and all.

Thoughtful Owl
11-28-2007, 15:17
Used to make cowboy coffee that is until those little coffee in the bags came along. Now that is the only way to go. Coffee in the morning and if I want something hot in the evening it might be a mocha, made with 1 coffee bag and 1 packet of instant coco. I also carry instant hot apple cider...awesome drinks on a chilly damp evening.

Thoughtful Owl
11-28-2007, 15:21
I use a GSI Lexan French Press. There is notihing better on the trail. It makes a strong brew. I have the smallest size and it makes just a touch more than more than twice my titanium mug.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/LexanResin/coffeeMakers.html

I have seen these in Campmor and have wondered how well they work. Maybe I will give it a try.

Montego
11-28-2007, 15:47
Kind of strange. Use instant at home but have to have cowboy coffee when hiking/camping. A little cold water settles the grounds, then pour slowly. I'm starting to get into loose tea more though. My daughter is an herbalist so I am starting to learn the medicinal benefits of teas made from herbs and plants.

Pockets
11-28-2007, 16:14
I use coarsly ground coffee in an REI cup that has a screen under the lid... works good for tea as well

Grinder
11-28-2007, 16:30
I am a coffee lover. At home I use a french press.

On my hike in May, I slept from dark to day break. With that much sleep, it didn't seem necessary to brew coffee. I would have a bagel and an instant breakfast and be quite happy with that. I was surprised at this.(BTW this means I carried 12 oz of coffee that I didn't use.)

It is quite possible, if I got in trail shape before leaving, I might miss my coffee.

If this happened, I would brew it in my pot with a tea strainer or bandana to exclude the grounds. I have an origami fold up cup.

tom

Spirit Walker
11-28-2007, 16:35
I use instant. If I'm feeling flush, I'll add some of the flavored international coffee or just hot chocolate. I ALWAYS have coffee on the trail, even in the desert, unless there's a total stove/fire ban. Then you don't want to be around me. I get very grumpy without my morning caffeine.

One of the great pleasures on the trail is watching the world wake up around you while sipping a cup of coffee. In the evening, I love watching the sun set while drinking a hot chocolate. Life is good.

JAK
11-28-2007, 16:42
I like to make tea from trees also, twigs and stuff.
Now idea what I'm doing, but its fun.

That Chai tea is good in the woods, with lots of skim milk and honey.
I would love to try some of that whole milk powder but can't get it here.

turtle fast
11-28-2007, 16:43
I used to drink instant on the trail, but I found that it was not stong enough for my tastes. In Venezuela, I had learned to make coffee with a filter using of all things a wire loop and a nylon stocking that looked like a fish dip net to filter the coffee. The family I stayed with were all females...though the coffee tasted good. Later, after coming back from turkey I had aquired a taste for Turkish style coffee....much like cowboy coffee but double boiled.

Roots
11-28-2007, 16:47
I only became a coffee drinker about 3 years ago and one of the first things I freaked out about was coffee on the trail. We were in Damascus on a trip and I went in MRO and a girl working in there saved my caffeine buzz from coming to a hault. She suggested the MSR coffee filter. I have about wore it out. I LOVE IT! Then, here recently, when we started going 'lighter' in equipment and we bought the TI Snowpeak 700 mugs, I got to thinking that it would be easier to do coffee a different way. I started using coffee singles and I am hooked. It is actually a lot easier and lighter than carrying coffee grounds and the MSR filter. Try the singles, they're great, but use the MSR for car camping-it's great too!:)

Uncle Silly
11-28-2007, 17:19
I used to drink instant on the trail, but I found that it was not stong enough for my tastes.

Are you kidding? Instant not strong enough?? Just add more! I've had cups of instant that would blow the lid off of a shot of espresso for strength.

Tho I've never managed to get anywhere near Arabic coffee. That's some strong stuff!

Sly
11-28-2007, 17:26
I also need my coffee and will use what's available. I think the diuretic and dehydration argument for not drinking coffee on the trail is silly, just drink more water.

troglobil
11-28-2007, 17:35
Definately the green spoon. Perfect every time. Instant coffee sucks.

brotheral
11-28-2007, 19:30
Tasters Choice instant is the very best / easiest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sun

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 19:42
I use a product called Java Juice, which I think is great.

Only problem is Bfitz, my hiking partner, kept stealing it.

see www.javajuiceextract.com for details

Summit
11-28-2007, 19:59
Mine is a little different color but basically the same:

http://www.rei.com/product/761283

Makes a great cup of my gourmet coffee from home on the trail. Beats flo-thru coffee bags any day! ;)

Summit
11-28-2007, 20:00
I got the above before I got my Jetboil, otherwise I would probably have gotten the JetBoil attachment. Might have to get one of those anyway! :)

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 20:01

see www.javajuiceextract.com (http://www.javajuiceextract.com) for details

Looks interesting, but expensive. How big a portion do you get and still have a strong cup of joe?

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 20:04
Each packet has about an ounce of what is basically espresso. You add it to hot water and can make it as strong as you like.

It is expensive compared to some other stuff, but then again, it's a lot better than other stuff.

Instant coffee, or coffee in packets or tea bags tastes pretty horrible.

I pay twice as much for a cup of coffee at home, so Java Juice works just fine for me, and I think it's well worth it.

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 20:08
Each packet has about an ounce of what is basically espresso. You add it to hot water and can make it as strong as you like.

It is expensive compared to some other stuff, but then again, it's a lot better than other stuff.

Instant coffee, or coffee in packets or tea bags tastes pretty horrible.

I pay twice as much for a cup of coffee at home, so Java Juice works just fine for me, and I think it's well worth it.

Is it strong like Starbucks or milder like Dunkin Donuts?

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2007, 20:13
As I said, it depends how much water you add to it.

If you're REALLY curious, PM me you address and I'll mail you some, assuming Bfitz didn't poach all of 'em.

Marta
11-28-2007, 20:14
I don't drink coffee on the trail, or anywhere else, for that matter. I hate the stuff.

Skidsteer
11-28-2007, 20:18
My current preferred method for coffee on the trail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umLNmIlqw1Y

Tin Man
11-28-2007, 20:20
Thanks Jack, but I think I can afford to buy some to try. And don't send any to Marta. ;)

Thoughtful Owl
11-29-2007, 15:15

see www.javajuiceextract.com (http://www.javajuiceextract.com) for details

Thanks Jack for sharing. I just ordered some javajuice today and am anxiously waiting to give it a try. Though it may be a little more expensive, it could be a nice little indulgence out on the trail.

uwharriebackpacker
01-19-2008, 10:51
all this talk......hmmmm, im gonna make a pot of coffee now.

Mrs Baggins
01-19-2008, 11:39
You left out the most common way to make coffee on the trail, instant.

That was my first thought as well.........where's the Instant option??? Hate it but it's easy to carry in a ziplock and it's fast and better than crushing headaches from lack of caffeine. (No, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to try to give it up). We've hiked in South America (Chile, Argentina) and instant coffee was just about our only option everywhere, even in cafes. The Nestle corporation pretty much rules that part of the world when it comes to coffee making.

StarLyte
01-19-2008, 12:03
I have a tiny aluminum percolator (1-1/2 cup) that I use on my esbit. Depending on the wind and temps, I can sometimes get away with one tab to perk...now that is SWEET having perked coffee on the Trail!

Free demos at the PA Ruck...;)

Okay, time to brew some.

greentick
01-19-2008, 12:05
single use bags: pretty good and easy. I found that to improve the taste use one bag per 6oz instead of soaking a single bag in 12oz for a longer period.

Press-bot: great coffee, a little more complicated. Heavier and if you dont use nalgenes you have a nalgene sized volume penalty. If you do, you will drink coffee flavored water. Also, they are a pain to clean. But, great tasting coffee in the field.

Jetboil press: similar to above but easier to clean. If you carry a JB already then the weight penalty is only 1-2oz. Plus, you can have your coffee ready fast and drink it right from the press. Great coffee in the field.

Field espresso maker http://www.rei.com/product/401117: great coffee but (I think) weighs like 7 oz. Also only makes 3oz. The pro is that it is very easy to clean. IMO it might be useful as a luxury item. Makes 4oz of very strong, good coffee.

Dave!
01-19-2008, 12:09
I'm with widerness bob on this topic.

I mix a ziplock bag with:
(# of days)x( 1 packet of Hot chocolate, 2 scoops instant coffee,2 scoops powdered milk,1 scoop sugar) = HOT TASTY TREAT

I am big into pre mixing and dumping into ziplocks. I hate fumbling for multiple tupperware containers of "this and that".

I also dump (# of days)x(2 servings (2/3 cup) of carnation instant breakfast) into a ziplock. Put it in a h2o bottle with 12 oz h2o and shake... yummy just before the leaving camp for a long day.

Lyle
01-19-2008, 12:39
Most of the time I just use the coffee bags. But if I have a light load, short trip, coffee loving fanatic companions, or just want good coffee I carry this:

http://doitbest.com/Coffee+makers-Melitta+U+S+A+Inc-model-640008-doitbest-sku-633363.dib

Works great and you can carry any kind of coffee you want, gourmet or cheap.

kayak karl
01-19-2008, 14:15
use this for coffee http://www.rei.com/product/638124

NorthCountryWoods
01-28-2008, 11:21
Tried the french press and it broke the second time out. Had a 3 or 4 cup aluminum percolator that I've used for years. Weighs next to nothin but the handle is brutal.

I'm likin the idea of that java juice stuff. Where do you find it?

brotheral
01-28-2008, 11:35
Boil water & Tasters Choice Instant !! I'm not a coffee gourmet.... A cup or 2 in the morning and that's it... Works for me...:D

JAK
01-28-2008, 12:42
For some reason I can't make a really satisfying cup of coffee in the field, unless I do it with a percolator and use a raw egg. I like other peoples coffee though, but pretty much stick with tea when hiking alone. If I was for some reason to bring eggs on a cold camping trip then I would of course also bring bacon and coffee and a percolator.

NorthCountryWoods
01-28-2008, 15:43
....unless I do it with a percolator and use a raw egg.

Details please?

Sissygirl
01-28-2008, 16:02
That makes the coffee cup part of the starter kit.

JAK
01-28-2008, 16:24
Details please?Well you just put the coffee grains in the top of the percolator like you normally would, but mix in an egg shell, including some egg white, or if you are really game the whole egg. Depends somewhat on the size of the percolator and how many you are making coffee for. If it is just for one or two a whole egg would be a bit of a waste and it might get all clogged up as the egg pouches. It helps if the eggs are small and you have to mix it up with the coffee grains really well. I like my eggs, so I just use the egg shell, but I figure its a good way to get all the goodness out of anything left in the egg shell.

sirbingo
05-21-2008, 15:57
If I want a lighter brew I'll put a 1/4 of a ham sandwich in the percolator when I make my coffee. For something similar to the Café' con Leche I had in the Dominican Republic, I add the top of a pineapple. Delicious!!

:sun

HippieHiker
05-21-2008, 18:51
hey i dont know if this is considered cowboy coffee or not ( dont really know what it is ) but i take my coffee grounds and put them in the center of a bandana and tie a rubber band around it then just stick it in my pot. strong cup of joe!

sofaking
05-21-2008, 22:24
hot and black.

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 00:10
I was just at Wal-Mart and noticed a new product that Nescafe is offering. If I remember it was 98 cents and it was a little box with seven individual servings of their instant coffee. Pretty neat!

IceAge
05-26-2008, 09:30
..In Venezuela, I had learned to make coffee with a filter using of all things a wire loop and a nylon stocking that looked like a fish dip net to filter the coffee....

I just experimented with a similar method this weekend, and it worked great!

Wal-mart sells pairs of little white nylon stockings in a plastic bubble for around 30 cents. I use them to hold hops when I homebrew and I thought they might work for coffee making on the trail as well. I used a stocking, about 1/4 cup of grounds, and a lexan nalgene.

Just pour the grounds into the sock, put the sock into the nalgene, holding the open end on the outside. Fill the bottle with almost boiling water and screw the lid down over the open end of the sock. I let it sit for 10 minutes and it made a damned good pot of coffee! :banana

mkmangold
07-13-2008, 14:17
I have the java press for my son's Jetboil (yes, he carries the Jetboil and I get the coffee!). However, I find the plunger/stem to be awkward and hard to find at times. So instead, I screwed a little screw into the bottom of the mesh contraption and use a tent stake to plunge it down.

Odd Thomas
07-13-2008, 16:30
Details please?

The cowboys used to use an egg or eggshells added to the water to help the grinds settle from the water

Wilson
07-13-2008, 17:40
At home, I like to grind beans and brew.

Instant coffee is plenty good enuff for me any other time.

sheepdog
07-13-2008, 20:07
I've got a friend who likes his coffee just like his women. Cold and bitter.

mkmangold
07-13-2008, 20:10

That's a shame. I like mine hot and satisfying.

sheepdog
07-13-2008, 20:31
That's a shame. I like mine hot and satisfying.
Me too, but he can turn one of those cold and bitter in about 4 months.

riverroyer
07-14-2008, 17:24
Half a bandana with course ground coffee, tie with a twist tie, put in your mug add water and bring to a boil. Let it sit 3-5 min and bingo, great coffee. I have learned that course ground works just as well as fine grind and is less messy to clean up; rinse, store and go. Coffee is my attitude adjuster of choice.

Rain Man
08-07-2008, 10:22
Just yesterday I was shopping in Kroger's grocery store. Yes, it was First Wednesday, discount day for "seniors"! LOL

Anyway, I saw something new, Taster's Choice instant coffee in little "sleeves." You tear off the top and pour the contents into a cup. I think Gatorade and others have instant energy drinks and water flavoring in the same kind of small sleeves. The Taster's Choice box is tiny. Comes in both regular and decaf.

Tried a cup last evening and it was darn good. Better than Java Juice, in my opinion. And it's very very light-weight, too.

I'll be taking a few packets of this new Taster's Choice product/packaging on my next section hike.

Beware one thing, a single sleeve is only good for 6 ounces, not even an official "cup." So, you might need two sleeves per.

Rain:sunMan

fiddlehead
08-07-2008, 10:42
I guess it was my first thru in '89 when i started drinking instant coffee.
i still do. even at home now.
It's pretty hard to beat the simplicity.
(and when i do get a cup of real coffee somewhere else. WOW. what a taste!)

IceAge
08-07-2008, 10:45

I like my coffee just like my women, picked up cheap at the gas station! :eek: :D

I tried those Taster's Choice packets, Rain Man, and I agree that they are not too bad, especially doubled up as you suggested.

Mags
08-07-2008, 11:06
I've used the taster choice packets. Not bad.

I refuse to use Nescafe' (instant coffee ) ..BLECCH! Too acidic for my tastes.

What I do use now my java fix on short backpacks are the instant coffee bags. Less expensive than the taster choice packets and I let them seep for the uberstrong coffee I enjoy. :)

mudhead
08-07-2008, 15:14
Try the Nescafe Classico. Wmart. Cheap. Put hair on your chest.

mister krabs
08-07-2008, 15:59
I now use skidsteer's "coffee on the trail" system. After two trips, and a few cups at home I give it two hearty thumbs up.

Mags
08-07-2008, 16:01
Cheap. Put hair on your chest.

I really don't need any more chest hair. :eek: