PDA

View Full Version : Devils Racecourse Shelter

Former Admin
09-10-2002, 05:35
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Devils Racecourse Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

Skeemer
02-09-2003, 11:41
Stayed here one night in July '02. A bit of a steep walk down (about .3 mile) and the shelter surroundings a little ragged. A lot of "bitching" in the register about the hike down. I recall a pretty decent water source (spring). The neatest thing was the cat that lives there came out for supper and was super friendly. As you can probably guess NO MICE which made up for the hike down.

Wilson76
02-10-2003, 11:20
I stayed there in October during one of my shakedowns. The cat is no longer inhabiting the shelter. The log said it has been taken in by a local family before the winter and cold weather came. It didn't take long for the mice to move back in. Apparently a new shelter is being constructed and it will be located just off the trail so the .3 downhill has been eliminated. (No more compalining in the log).

Papa Bear
06-01-2003, 13:08
The shelter is still way down the hill (May 2003). Of all the shelters in Maryland it was the most run down.

Here's (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/abm) a shot of the shelter.

And here's (http://gallery.backcountry.net/papabear_2003_HF_Duncannon/abn) a shot of the "Devil's Racecourse" (a boulder field).

Pb

cryptobrian
03-21-2004, 11:06
Definately not the best of shelters. During a visit last October it was still in pretty rough shape. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just an old rustic shelter (in fact in many ways this can be quite nice). But unfortunately it was also appeared to be quite the party spot with beer bottles and cans strewn all over the place, profanities written all over the interior, grime and filth everywhere. We tried to clean it up a bit but I'm not sure it made much of a difference.

Here is a picture of the shelter (looking pretty good actually). (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/DCP_2236.htm)

Here are some pictures of Devil's Racecourse:

Pic 1 (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/DCP_2237.htm)
Pic 2 (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/DCP_2238.htm)
Pic 3 (http://www.stinkypigs.com/BackPacking/AppalachianTrail/MarylandSection/AT-MD/pages/DCP_2239.htm)

BlackCloud
12-23-2004, 14:02
A very old shelter, it is situated at the bottom of a very real downhill. In November, 2000, it was mouse infested. The craziest part about my stay there however was some old kook [sic] section-hiker who actually carried an entire gallon of white gas on his 3 week hike.

FYI, there were several small areas for a tent where the blue blaze trail left the AT; though it's dry up there.......

Haiku
12-25-2004, 14:50
The shelter is close to the road, and when I got there on a Friday night a bunch of rowdies had come up and were making a lot of noise. Then they urinated all over the privy. I climbed back up the hill and camped at the flat area just off the AT.

Haiku.

neo
12-28-2004, 07:20
i stopped there for a quick lunch and water break:sun neo

TakeABreak
12-28-2004, 13:21
It was the absolute worse shelter on the trail for me in 2000, a bunch of people came after dark going the hill to camp out, making all kinds of noise. traffic on the road drove me nuts, people parked near by and came in late at night and woke me up.

I heard from some local it used as a party place sometimes on summer weekends.

This one definitely needs to be re-located, in my opinion.

FlyPaper
07-21-2005, 17:24
Stayed there in October of 2004. At that time the picnic table had been partially burned, likely by some teens wanting firewood.

The water source is the best I saw on that trip.

Programbo
08-30-2005, 18:31
I had an odd experience a long long time ago at DR..Me and my brother stopped there early in the afternoon and we spending the night..They was already a complete set of hiking equpiment there and laid out..pack..sleeping back..stove etc..and a half empty box of .357 magnum rounds..After awhile we heard some shooting coming from the area of the race course back behind the shelter..Not like a gun fight but a slower shooting like someone target shooting..Anyway it finally stopped but no one ever came back to the shelter..We stayed there that night and by next morning no one had come back to claim all the hiking gear..We got curious and went back around the race course area and could find nothing..We stayed over the next night also and the morning aftet that still no one...Always wondered what became of the owner of that gear

astrogirl
12-08-2005, 23:25
I spent my fifth night ever on the AT at Devil's Racecourse.

It was Father's Day of 1999, and I wound up pulling a 20 miler in there and made it just before dark on one of those summer nights where dark brought a thunderstorm. I never would have pulled a 20 (from Rocky Run), but there were these really creepy guys at Pogo who wouldn't even return my friendly greeting and just *glared* at me (a very rare experience for me on the AT) and I really got a move on to get ahead. I got to Hemlock Hill and it was *right* next to the road and had a warning up about a bear visiting. Later, I found out the ranger station was right there, but at the time...

Anyway, DR wasn't bad, any port in a storm, but a maintainer visited that night and kicked out the locals. Definitely a problem with local party people at that site.

The hikers there (Bristlecone, Peaceful Warrior, Grace's Son, and Russell) were super nice to me. Upon reflection, they probably thought I was one of those paranoid women who think every man is out to do them harm (and I'm a solo hiker and really not like that at all), and knowing that, wow, were they nice to me. I mean, this is the only time I can think of that I was freaked out by people on the AT.

Amazing what a complete lack of politeness can do! :D

SKCM
12-09-2005, 22:31
I stayed there, well not at the shelter... I tented... The down side of this shelter are:

1) it is old, very old and the floor is not even.... not close to even!
2) it is a bit down the hill
3) a local party spot for underaged drinkers. We had a few "guests" that came in and partied all night... very loudly!

the upside

1) the devils race course is very neat to see and experience
2) there is a great spring there and it was easy to get access to
3) there are plenting of tenting in the area
4) plenty of wildlife that pays the area a visit... not just party animals ;)

It is surely not the best shelter but like the others stated... any port in a storm!

For those that are into "letterboxing" there is also a hidden treasure in the area and it is pretty cool!

Master Chief

geobart
11-28-2006, 15:18
I stayed at DRC last week (November 22) and found it adequate. It was fairly clean (new roof maybe?) and a lovely spring nearby. We saw the campsite at the top of the hill overlooking DRC, but opted to trek downhill and check it out.

The ensuing rainstorm that night made us glad that we decided to go down the hill to DRC. We did have an unwelcome rodent visit (tempted by food inside the shelter.)

Reading the log, it appears as though the shelter is frequently checked by rangers. We had no trouble from locals (go figure on Thanksgiving holiday!) and enjoyed our stay there. The handmade fire pit came in handy too!:)

freefall
11-28-2006, 21:30
Reading the log, it appears as though the shelter is frequently checked by rangers. We had no trouble from locals (go figure on Thanksgiving holiday!) and enjoyed our stay there. The handmade fire pit came in handy too!:)

Yeah, down passed the privy where the shelter's namesake is located. once you cross all the rock their is a road right there and a small parking area. When I was there getting some water this summer, there was a guy sprucing the shelter and privy up (paint, replaced some wood). He took me to town for pizza and he was parked a there.

Programbo
12-19-2006, 21:42
Yeah, down passed the privy where the shelter's namesake is located. once you cross all the rock their is a road right there and a small parking area.

This road used to be one of my favorite cheat shortcuts when hiking North to South in Maryland way back when..Once I`d come down the steep hill to the shelter the next morning I`d just go back across the "race course" and down that hard top road and then make the right at the cross road and pick up the AT again there and continue south...Why trudge all the way back up that hill and then back down a hill just to get to that road anyway?....Eric would be proud! :p

fonsie
01-17-2007, 13:59
Well I stayed there on a thursday in late april 2006. I herd that place use to be used as a meth house. There where beer cans and bottles piled every where. Something scared my cat away and I could never find him, I noticed someone seen a cat living there....the next morning I don't kno what it was but it scared me. sounded like someone or something looking for a fix. when I do my thru hike I will keep going.

mdfan
08-25-2009, 15:11
We are planning to do the MD section next week, PenMar-HF. We are being dropped off at PenMar the night before we hike to camp.
I would prefer to just camp at PenMar- is there somewhere there to camp? Can we just go down the trail a bit and pitch a tent? I cant seem to find any info about PenMar and our options.
Our other option is start from Deer Lick, camp there 1st night, then head south.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2009, 15:32
We are planning to do the MD section next week, PenMar-HF. We are being dropped off at PenMar the night before we hike to camp.
I would prefer to just camp at PenMar- is there somewhere there to camp? Can we just go down the trail a bit and pitch a tent? I cant seem to find any info about PenMar and our options.
Our other option is start from Deer Lick, camp there 1st night, then head south.
PENMAR is restricted to camping. I can't remember the camping options south of PENMAR, the shelter is only about 5 miles south. I did camp north of PENMAR. at Falls Creek(~0.6 mile north), but the downside is there are many houses very close to that area and you may see some local rugrats scrounging around.

mdfan
08-25-2009, 17:11
Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear- you are allowed to camp at PenMar? Is there an actual campground, or do you just pitch along the trail? Fee? I've looked all over the net and can't find any info.

Pedaling Fool
08-25-2009, 17:40
Thanks for the reply. I'm not clear- you are allowed to camp at PenMar? Is there an actual campground, or do you just pitch along the trail? Fee? I've looked all over the net and can't find any info.

You are not allowed to camp in PENMAR. It is just a very small park with picnic tables and other things in the middle of a neighborhood. The AT simply transits through it.

The place I camped looked like an unofficial camping area, kind of common along the AT. You are permitted to camp along most of the AT, just pick a spot off the trail and ~200 feet from a water source.

No fees.

Look into this: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Limo
10-13-2010, 20:18
Wow! The new shelter is beautiful! Love the bear line cables, covered dining area. All this place needs is a couch and satellite t.v. Great job!

CrumbSnatcher
12-21-2010, 00:27
is the new shelter down the hill where the old one was?

Sly
12-21-2010, 01:40
is the new shelter down the hill where the old one was?

Opposite side of the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
12-21-2010, 10:40
thanks SLY

Soolah Hoops
09-03-2012, 21:16
I live within about a 5 mile drive from it. I haven't checked out the shelter cause I am so close but know there is a spring there as well as the shelter and a port o potty kind of thing there.

I usually go there because of the blockfield there which is really cool actually. It's not far from the shelter and is pretty much a river of boulders and if you stand on it you can hear the water running underneath it. Here's a video of it that I made a few years back... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1xoYvYr0Lw

I may have time tomorrow to go to it and take some photos so you all can see for yourself. It might help...:)

Don H
09-03-2012, 22:05
So where is the water at the new shelter? The only source I know is by the old Devils Race Course shelter.
I know the AT Guide says 0.1 mile away but I haven't found it yet.

Soolah Hoops
09-03-2012, 22:25
There is a spring right near there but I don't think it is marked very well. If it isn't when I go there tomorrow I can take some photos of where it is as well. Maybe if I can find a way to mark it for everyone I will. There are different springs in the area (off the AT that are actually pretty nice - I get my water from one off of Pleasant Valley Road but it is a bit off the beaten path) but there is one right there at the shelter. Let me survey the area for everyone and hopefully help you all out with that. Like I said if I can help by marking it I will....:)

Blissful
09-05-2012, 08:47
The spring is marked. Approx .4 down the switchbacks. Take a cup to dip.

RETCW4
09-05-2012, 12:53
I stayed at Raven Rock (new shelter) on Sunday. There is a sign at the shelter that says "Spring .6 mile". We got water at Littel Antitem Creek next to Rte 419, about 1.1 mile from the shelter. Also theare were unconfirmed reports of a bear cub sighting at Devils Racecourse Shelter.

Tumbleweed

Soolah Hoops
09-05-2012, 23:07
I just did a review of the area via photos and a video so here you all go. I am a little under the weather and did this fairly quickly but I am hoping it helps. The Spring is marked...;) Honestly the inside of the Shelter seemed fine so I am not sure what was up with the tarp on top but probably should be reported (new to this so any suggestions let me know but I am guessing the AT Maintenance folks for the area?). It was thundering but never rained so I couldn't sit in it to see if any rain would come through the roof. The outhouse didn't stink but I will purchase a couple of brooms and leave one in there and in the shelter.

https://vimeo.com/48855370

I didn't see any bears near there but not sure what time of the day they possibly were spotted if there were some. Probably just looking for water I am guessing...it's been hot the past couple of weeks. I also have posted my airbnb details since I am offering lodging at my home through that and you do need reservations but I am close to alot.

Anyway, hope this at least gives you an idea of the place and you can decide for yourselves if you want to stay there or not. Also, if you ever find you are heading that way and want to have some supplies left there, contact me here and I'll see if I am available to help out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Soolah

Soolah Hoops
09-05-2012, 23:12
You know...maybe I have it all weird...let me know if this is the old one? I don't think so but just in case. If there is another there let me know but it's the only one I know of...

Moose2001
09-05-2012, 23:35
You know...maybe I have it all weird...let me know if this is the old one? I don't think so but just in case. If there is another there let me know but it's the only one I know of...

That looks like the old shelter.

Blissful
09-06-2012, 07:13
Yes I saw the bear there. I would not use water by the road crossings - it travels from farm areas.

Don H
09-06-2012, 08:36
Thanks for the video. You filmed the old Devil's Racecourse Shelter, the new one, which was built last year is called Raven Rock. Apparently the water source for Raven Rock is the springs you pictured at the Devil's Racecourse Shelter. I guess the confusion comes from the 2011 AT Guide which says the water source is 0.1 miles from Raven Rock Shelter. It is actually 0.6 miles down the blue blaze to the old shelter.
Raven is a beautiful shelter set on the ridge top with plenty of tent sites, picnic tables and benches around a fire ring.

Here's a picture of the new Raven Rock shelter

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=53008&c=567

turtle fast
09-06-2012, 14:48
It looks like Soolah hoops is a great asset for the area...if not already are you a member of your local trail club?

Soolah Hoops
09-07-2012, 11:23
Ok cool and good to know...;) And yes the new shelter is beautiful! I can see why they put it there since it is right on the trail and away from anyone bugging AT hikers from the area. I'll have to trek up to it at some point. At least in getting water it is great to go check out the scenery down there at the blockfield. I am not a member of the local trail club and will have to dig around an see what it is called. Like I said if you all are coming through the area just let me know cause maybe I can leave some water jugs and supplies for you all at points if it's set up ahead of time. ;) Now I have more places to explore above the shelter. I went North at one point but did not go south to even see the new shelter...so yeaaa! Well glad to help in whatever way I am able...:)

Don H
09-07-2012, 18:05
The chapter that takes care of the trail in your area is the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club
http://www.patc.net/PublicView/

Soolah Hoops
09-09-2012, 22:24
Cool Don! Thank you...:)

mbankey
03-31-2013, 12:59
I don't know if this shelter is available anymore. We went past Raven Rock shelter. We didn't even see signs for Devil's Racecourse. Raven Rock was nicely kept but we kept on moving for the night.

dzierzak
04-01-2013, 11:25
Raven Rock Shelter has replaced the Devils Racecourse Shelter. Water is down the trail to the DR shelter.

lilricky
06-09-2013, 14:10
So, is the Devils Racecourse Shelter still standing? Or is there a date when it will be torn down? I'm updating my AT GPS track for 2013-2014 with shelters, water sources, towns, phone numbers for PO's, hostels, hotels, etc. Just need to know if I should delete Devils Racecourse from the track.