PDA

View Full Version : Erwin, Tenn. 4-29-06

TOW
05-02-2006, 14:28
Times change and the seasons too. Along with that same reasoning so do people.

It has been sometime since I encountered Erwin, Tennessee and a change has come about to this little rest stop for thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Attitude towards the hiker community. I think Erwin has made the point of joining the many friendly hiker towns that are strewn along the 2167 mile path that traverses through fourteen states.

Even though getting from point A-B is a bit tiresome as it has ever been, I think on the most part there are more locals every year stopping to give a ride as is the testimony I witnessed this morning at Miss Janet's.

I was sitting on the front porch when a sheriff's deputy pulled up and got out and opened his two back doors to drop off two section hikers that had just finished hiking from the south to here. As one put it, "We had our thumbs out when this deputy pulled over. We figured either we were going to get a ticket or a ride." That was an awesome thing to have witnessed. That kind of act aids in helping the community to open up to us weary souls.....

Miss Janet's Hiker Hostel:

Undoubtedly one of the most popular stops of the trail. I met this fine lady back in 2001 and she hasn't lost one ounce of her kindness. In fact she has become more friendly. Any hiker that I have met who has stayed absolutely loves her.

In a house that was built either in the early 1900's or late 1800's is probably one of the most homiest retreats that those with sore feet and sore backs will ever encounter. And even those with a heavy heart who are walking in the woods can come here and find solace.

When I first met Janet she was just giving rides for a donation to us weary hikers and now her kindness has given her a house to accommodate those that she loves.

There are eight single beds and two beds for doubles. Food is every place you look here. Every morning Janet and her many helpers from the trail fix one of the most fattening breakfast's this side of the Mississippi. This morning as I entered this enchanted palace the hikers had just finished eating and Janet was having them introduce themselves by their real name, then their trail name, then where they were from and why they were hiking the trail. This morning's culinary delight was "hog jowls, chittlin's and pig brains in a creamy gravy over hardly boiled grits." I'm telling you these hikers thought it was the cream of heaven they were eating.

If you stay here, Janet will shuttle you where ever you need to go for a donation unless you and her make other arrangements. If your just a section hiker and need a ride to points beyond that's gonna cost you, most likely a dollar a mile.

Please, at least if you stop here on your journey do meet this lady. She is a wealth of information and an abundance of love.

Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel:

Right where the Appalachian Trail comes onto the edge of Erwin, that is if your hiking from the south, right before you cross the trail over the Nolichucky River and immediately to the left sits "Uncle Johnny's Nolichucky Hostel."

Uncle Johnny is another hiker friendly lovable guy I met in '01. And man has this guy changed. He seems so full of life today and has a glitter in his eyes that comes from within. I really like what I see in this man. the quiet gentleness about him is inviting.

His hostel is a must stop and shop kind a place. He has a store with most hiker necessities, like tents, some clothing, bug juice and other odds and ends. His prices are average and when you enter there you just feel kinda homey.

On the premises is a bunkhouse for ten, probably one of the best out/bathhouses you will ever encounter along the trail and if your lucky and get the toilet that I used, you won't even have to worry about using toilet paper. But you'll have to ask Johnny about that one, He only reserves this one for his special people and since I am specially educated I get first dibs when I am around. Also he has two cabins for those of you who desire some privacy.

For guests only and at no cost, there are two to three town runs a day for shopping or to get a bite of something different. Definitely check out the Burrito Company and The Rivers Edge Smoke House. The first is vegetarian and the second is what your body craves. If you desire a shuttle somewhere else, payment arrangements will have to be made. On the most part you will be taken care of nicely.........

http://www.unclejohnnys.net/

Nolichucky River Campground:

Right before you head north into the woods or as you emerge from the woods going south and due east about a mile on a black top road that runs along the Nolichucky is the campground. And this is where I have fond memories of 2001. The care taker there, "LD," is probably one of the best people you will ever get to know if you come to stay at this unique camp at the edge of the woods. It's quiet and it's kinda private, but it is definitely worth your stay.

There are camping cabins, tent platforms, showers, kayaking, fishing and camp get togethers at least two times a week. And the price is well worth it if your watching your budget, but don't go there looking for the "trail magic," just go there and you may be treated to quite an experience.

These people, some that live here year round will take the time to get to know you because they want to hear about you and why you are on this journey. However when you speak remember that you have ears and do listen.

As LD informed me "any hiker that stays here that needs a ride to anywhere, we'll take them there......." I know this for a fact, but feel free to reach into your pocket if you go beyond the limits........

If you think about it ask LD if you can go on one of their famous "walk around the camp expeditions," it will be a walk that will leave you scratching your head wondering why in the world you asked to go for a walk around the camp with LD..............

Do enjoy Erwin and don't leave there without an apple...........................

Larry "The Only Wanderer" Riddle

Sorcerer
05-02-2006, 14:36
Strange memory you have there, since I was at Miss Janet's house on 4-29-06 myself. This didn't occur:

"This morning as I entered this enchanted palace the hikers had just finished eating and Janet was having them introduce themselves by their real name, then their trail name, then where they were from and why they were hiking the trail. This morning's culinary delight was "hog jowls, chittlin's and pig brains in a creamy gravy over hardly boiled grits."

The question of the day didn't involve why were hiking the trail and there was potato pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, etc.

The story sounds great, but at least use a date when nobody else stops by to say hey to Miss Janet around breakfast time! :cool:

mingo
05-02-2006, 15:10
i think you are full of crap, larry. i don't believe you've ever been to erwin

TOW
05-02-2006, 16:41
Strange memory you have there, since I was at Miss Janet's house on 4-29-06 myself. This didn't occur:

"This morning as I entered this enchanted palace the hikers had just finished eating and Janet was having them introduce themselves by their real name, then their trail name, then where they were from and why they were hiking the trail. This morning's culinary delight was "hog jowls, chittlin's and pig brains in a creamy gravy over hardly boiled grits."

The question of the day didn't involve why were hiking the trail and there was potato pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, etc.

The story sounds great, but at least use a date when nobody else stops by to say hey to Miss Janet around breakfast time! :cool:i write with a bit of fiction at times, that is just my style...........you are absolutely right or should be about the breakfast, i don't really recall actually what was "ete".....any story you ever read of mine will always have some sort of fictitional pun to it..........in that light I hope you will re scan the story and then give me your opinion............

TOW
05-02-2006, 16:48
i think you are full of crap, larry. i don't believe you've ever been to erwinyou are absolutely right mingo, i am full of crap! and again you are right, i never have been to erwin, in fact i stole all this info from your notes on trail journals that you posted on 4-29-06..........

bulldog49
05-02-2006, 21:57
i write with a bit of fiction at times, that is just my style...........you are absolutely right or should be about the breakfast, i don't really recall actually what was "ete".....any story you ever read of mine will always have some sort of fictitional pun to it..........in that light I hope you will re scan the story and then give me your opinion............

Sounds like you work for the New York Times, or Dan Rather.

Dust
05-03-2006, 00:21
If your just a section hiker ....

you're

(My message is not too short.)

TOW
05-03-2006, 09:24
Sounds like you work for the New York Times, or Dan Rather.i ain't that lucky, them guys get paid for thier "b***s***", i've never seen a dime for mine.............

TOW
05-03-2006, 16:41
you're

(My message is not too short.)just passing thru.................

rgarling
05-04-2006, 08:48
I think there is entirely too much fiction offered up as fact in this world. Every time it happens, humanity becomes less.

TOW
05-04-2006, 15:24
I think there is entirely too much fiction offered up as fact in this world. Every time it happens, humanity becomes less.horse phooey..............live life on the liter side.............