PDA

View Full Version : Safe parking in Hot Springs?

Midway Sam
05-02-2006, 14:43
Greetings,

I am working up a July section hike from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on where to park my van in Hot Springs. The plan is to drive there, hire a shuttle to Davenport, then hike back to the van.

Thanks in advance,

Midway Sam

MOWGLI
05-02-2006, 14:56
Greetings,

I am working up a July section hike from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on where to park my van in Hot Springs. The plan is to drive there, hire a shuttle to Davenport, then hike back to the van.

Thanks in advance,

Midway Sam

I did that section last July. Although I was repeatedly assured that the trailhead parking lot was safe, I left my vehicle next to the train tracks - across from the fire dept. I had a laptop and LCD projector in my car, and wouldn't have been comfortable leaving the car

Jack Tarlin
05-02-2006, 15:13
While there have neen no reported problems in recent days at the Trail head site, Mowgli's advice is probably on the mark.

A-Train
05-02-2006, 16:06
Yea, I'd say, better to be safe than sorry. Try leaving it at one of the hostels. Though not of the magnitude of a vehicle break-in, my friend had her laundry stolen from the mat in Hot Springs, proving that even in nice hiker-friendly towns, $hit happens...

joec
05-03-2006, 14:01
Just finished hiking back to Hot Springs after taking a shuttle out and leaving my car at the trailhead. Bluff Mtn Outfitters told me there had never been a car break in at the trailhead and that was good enough for me. The mgr of the Inn we stayed at, told me to just part it over by the railroad tracks and it would be fine there. We ended up taking it to the trailhead and leaving it there. Wanted to walk into town and looking back and seeing the traffic in HS, leaving it parked next to the railroad tracks for a few days would have been good as well. We ended up walking past my car at the trailhead, walking into town, taking pictures at the caboose, dropping our packs, and I walked back to the trailhead and brought the car back into town.