PDA

View Full Version : Danger can lurk along the trail

Tin Man
05-02-2006, 19:15
Another article from The Sentinel (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2006/05/01/news/news27.txt):

Danger can lurk along the trail
By Karla Browne ([email protected]), May 1, 2006
Goodwill and fine times are not the only trail experience.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- AdSys ad not found for news:news_story --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Murder, rape and robbery all have marred the peace of the Appalachian Trail in Cumberland and neighboring counties over the years.

Three hikers were killed and another seriously wounded since 1988 in this area, and a woman hiker was raped near the trail in 1998.

The perpetrators were convicted and incarcerated.

Then in July a 26-year-old thru hiker who was partying at a hiker reunion in Duncannon was hit by a train and killed. He was intoxicated and lying next to the tracks, authorities say. No foul play was suspected.

Crimes and deaths on the trail "get a lot of publicity because it’s like a crime in a church," said Karen Lutz, regional director of Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Boiling Springs.

"We try and coordinate with local law enforcement, with National Park Service special agents, be prepared in case we would have another incident. We’re head and shoulders above when (the murders) happened. We learned a lot from it," she added.
<!--
--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=cutline></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Trail runners paid by the conservancy or the National Park Service hike the trail throughout the warm months just to check on hikers.

The trail feels safe despite the memories of the murders, local hikers said. It’s well-marked and well-maintained in the Cumberland Valley.

It is safe, trail officials said, if hikers use caution.

Hiking alone is not recommended, but crime is not the main reason for that, said Melanie Wertz, secretary of Cumberland Valley Appalachian Trail Club.

The danger in hiking alone is "more having an accident," she said. "I had a twisted ankle once."

Safety rules

• Hiking with at least one partner reduces the potential for harassment.

• Leave an itinerary with family and friends that includes destination and return time, whether the hike is short or overnight.

• Check in and out with a park ranger on short hikes.

• Don’t camp near road crossings.

• Dress appropriately for the weather.

• Be friendly, but be cautious with strangers and avoid describing whereabouts of other hikers.

• Tuck pant legs into socks and shirts into pants. Check for ticks and use insect repellent.

• Wear hiking boots that provide foot and ankle support. Break in new boots before hiking.

• Do not leave belongings unattended. Avoid storing expensive cameras in cars parked at remote trail heads.

• Drink plenty of water and carry a first-aid kit.

• Carry a cell phone.

• Watch out for people who act strangely and inform someone about them when possible.

• Make notes in the register at shelters along the trail so people can keep track of you.
---------------

"Carry a cell phone." Let's not start that debate again! :D

briarpatch
05-02-2006, 19:23
"Watch out for people who act strangely and inform someone about them when possible."

Does juggling flaming torches count? Does this mean we've gotta inform someone about Dances with Mice? :-?

Skidsteer
05-02-2006, 19:34
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=198597#post198597

Article was posted last night by Ridge.

Tin Man
05-02-2006, 19:42
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=198597#post198597

Article was posted last night by Ridge.

Well, I missed last nights news posting. I try to start news articles as new threads under the Media Forum - not that anyone has asked me to do this or approved of my doing so. I thought posting interesting articles would show what is being communicated in the press and give us something to educate, amuse and discuss.