PDA

View Full Version : Removing Nikwax from boots?

TwoForty
05-02-2006, 21:53
I added some Nikwax Aqueous to my leather (not full grain, sueded) goretex boots and it makes my feet sweat to death. Is there anyway to remove it? I've only hiked in them once since I added it, so it may be a while until it wears off.

Ridge
05-03-2006, 02:55
I'd call the Gore-tex folks for advice, or the boot manufacturer. You've probably clogged the pores in the Gore-tex, which already makes the feet hot enough. Gore-tex is great for hunting or working in but way too hot FOR ME to hike in. I use my first, and last, pair of Gore-tex boots for kicking around the house in snow, ice or rain, I haven't hiked in them in many years.

brancher
05-03-2006, 06:03
Same thing happened to me. After I did the Nikwax, I did a long hike that resulted in lots of foot moisture and a couple of blisters.

I am wearing these boots as much as possible to wear the Nikwax off, and I'm lacing them a little more loosely so that my feet can breathe better. I hope eventually the wax will be gone.

P.S. Unless something drastic is discovered, I think this is the last pair of GTX-lined boots for me.

TwoForty
05-03-2006, 17:44
I hiked in the summer heat with liner socks and the goretex boots with no problem.
I used them in the winter so I waxed them first. Totally clogged them up and now my feet sweat to death. I would like to be able to keep my goretex boots.

I would wear them out, but I need them by June for a 3 month trip.

I did noticed Nikwax sells a cleaner. I don't know if it cleans the wax though.