PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic At Standing Bear Farm

mheider
05-03-2006, 01:39
This past Saturday 4/29 I drove from New Orleans to Standing Bear Farm to see my son Big X and do some real New Orleans Gumbo for the Lucky Few who were there. I First met Cherokee and Eagle, and Mr Owens. I was shown the Kitchen and Began the Magic. Met Trouble and Stitch. Then Stand By Me and Partner. A few others rolled in then Christian and Tim and Wholly Bear and a Few Section Hikers. Every one raved on my Gumbo, Beer, Chips and Salsa and Pecan Pie.The Gumbo was loaded with Chicken Sausage Shrimp Crawfish and Okra. Hikers said it was the best trail magic they ever had!! This was after the forth or fifth bowl ( I wasn't counting).Good time was had by all. I was blown away at the Standing Bear Farm. It was a magical place and shouldn't be missed. Finally saw my Son Big X roll in around 8:00 pm after finishing the Smokies. Had a great visit for 2 days and he is back on the trail. Gumbo in Tennesee? You betcha!!! Can't wait to get back to the trail later this summer and do some Crawfish Bisque.

Doc
05-03-2006, 08:21
You let me know where you're setting up shop and I'll yellow blaze to get there. I might even bring down some Maine lobsters for all the hikers. Naw, on second thought they probably wouldn't enjoy them without steamers to go with them. Glad you had a good time taking care of some hikers.

Doc

Ewker
05-03-2006, 10:46
mheider, it is a nice feeling to do trail magic. I have done it 3 times and totally enjoyed each time.

Nean
05-03-2006, 11:20
You did trail magic when you could of been doing trail maintenance?! And fed section hikers too!?! The nerve of some people:rolleyes:

Sorry, I guess I'm in that mood this morning:p BTW, I'm livin in Kenner now... got any leftovers:o

Thor
05-09-2006, 10:04
That was some GREAT gumbo, btw. Free food and beer made for an awesome night at Standing Bear :D