PDA

View Full Version : Underwhat?

Relic06
05-03-2006, 12:29
Hey folks,

This question goes out to all the guys out there. When choosing undergarments, is it boxers or briefs? Loose or tight? Though this is a question of the nether regions, I seriously would like to know. What prevents chaffing/ drys quickly/ is comfortable?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Footslogger
05-03-2006, 12:34
Nothing that I have ever found meets all those criteria ....

When chafe got the better part of me during my thru in 2003 I ended up buying a kilt (in Gatlinburg) and wearing it for a month or so.

From my experience what causes the irritation is the salt residue from evaporated perspiration. The key ...at least for me, was to start using pre-moistened towlets to remove the salt. That, combined with the excellent ventilation offered by a kilt, solved my chafe issues. I eventually did switch back to lightweight nylon shorts but dispensed with underwear all together.

There are no doubt a lot of hikers with different ideas and opinions ...but that's my experience.

'Slogger

Tin Man
05-03-2006, 12:45
Wicking boxers wick well for me while walking in the woods. :D

hammock engineer
05-03-2006, 12:49
As of yet, I haven't done anything longer than long day hikes and 2 day trips, but swin trunks minus the liner and no underwear work well for me. Having the swim trunks 1 size too big also helps me.

This is something like Slogger said, everyone is a little different. I came up with this after trying different combinations on day hikes. Try something different on each hike you go on, and see what works for you.

icemanat95
05-03-2006, 13:47
Severe chaffing is a serious problem for soldiers in special operations training programs, especially BUD/S where frequent immersion in sea water caused all sorts of lovely issues. inner thigh chaffing often turned into cellulitis for BUD/S students, so they've tried just about everything to relieve the problem. What seems to be a standard now is a wicking compression short probably something like UnderArmor.

I've gone that way and it works pretty well, I've also gone without and that worked as well, but you need to be careful when in polite company. What doesn't work is briefs...those things will find a way to rub you raw every time.

SGT Rock
05-03-2006, 14:07
Medium length microfiber underwear from wal-mart.

Peaks
05-03-2006, 16:34
Shorts with liners work just fine for me.

DawnTreader
05-03-2006, 17:46
Comando is the way to go....I don't chaffe, less hiker funk, more ventillation.. just plain freedom..

k-n
05-03-2006, 17:47
Wicking boxers wick well for me while walking in the woods. :Dsay that three times fast

Skidsteer
05-03-2006, 18:03
Zip, zero, nada.

Emsadida
05-03-2006, 18:20
Zip, zero, nada.

So I take it we don't want to know about your nickname? :D

Being a man of thicker build, prone to chaffing, I'm still trying to find the right combination. I will say that after living with briefs most of my life, I'm starting to dig the "free" feeling...

Skidsteer
05-03-2006, 18:58
So I take it we don't want to know about your nickname? :D

LOL...It's no big secret;Take a look at my avatar. All-wheel drive and turn-on-a-dime!

Plus, in the avatar photo, I'm naked from the waist down. Less laundry to fool with. :D

Disney
05-03-2006, 22:56
I used to chafe ALOT. I now wear some spandex shorts and don't chafe at all. And I bring gold bond powder, it's the greatest white powder in the world.

Traction
05-03-2006, 23:28
stop being woosie-men.. and put up with a little pain. jeez.

haha. no. i switched shorts once.. to some old soccer shorts.. holy shight.. i didn't have any skin left. decided to celebrate the solstice a little early..

in short.. commando with some thin nylon shorts works best for me.

ZZXF
05-05-2006, 13:26
Has anyone tried the boxers or boxer briefs that are supposed to provide odor control, such as the visaendurance from Terramar or the x-static from Medalist. I think both technologies use silver fibers to be antimicrobial and odor neutralizing. Does this work?

Chavens
05-05-2006, 15:15
I read once in someone's TrailJournal that they used a product called "BodyGlide"....haven't tried it myself, but from what user said, it worked great for them.

Here's a link: http://www.bodyglide.com

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 15:59
Different things seem to work for different folks.

Some swear by wicking underwear. Some folks don't wear any underwear at all. Some use petroleum jelly, some use something like SportsSlick or Body Glide.

In my experience, best results are by keeping the affected areas as dry as possible during the day (a blast of talcum powder or Gold Bond down there is a good way to start the day).

Also, simple hygeine helps. Always try to clean up a bit at the end of the day, never go to bed sweaty or coated in dried sweat. Keep a bandana just for personal uses, soak a corner of it in warm water at the end of the day (pour out a little bit of the weater you're heating up for your dinner, and clean yourself out really well) and make sure you always go to bed clean and dry.

In extreme cases, panty hose from a dollar store works really well. Cut off the legs at mid-thigh and wear 'em under your shorts. If you really want to get the most for your buck, cut 'em again under the ankle and use the feet as sock liners. They'll generally last a few weeks before falling apart. Also make sure you rinse and dry 'em out every evening.

Buckles
05-05-2006, 17:01
Under Armour BoxerBriefs (not the "relaxed" ones)! You might want to wear them everyday (I do). (www.underarmour.com (http://www.underarmour.com)) You can buy them online, REI, Sports Authority, Dick's, etc. Then, you don't need that BodyGlide crap. And, they last forever.

TOW
05-05-2006, 17:07
Hey folks,

This question goes out to all the guys out there. When choosing undergarments, is it boxers or briefs? Loose or tight? Though this is a question of the nether regions, I seriously would like to know. What prevents chaffing/ drys quickly/ is comfortable?

Thanks for the help,
Ryanboxer/briefs

hopefulhiker
05-05-2006, 18:05
Underarmour and Gold Bond Powder

Buckles
05-05-2006, 18:08
If that was a attempt to convey a grammatical error, you are wrong. I submitted my post with an exact representation of the product's mark, or "brand" as non-marketers would erroneous proclaim.

Link provided for those interested in this product:

http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=7&coll_id=31&pf_id=1000067

sleepwalker
05-05-2006, 18:56
Ever since the long road marches of the Army, I've been going sans undergarments. Soooo much better. Sprinkle a little gold bond powder downtown in the a.m. and you're good to go even on the hottest days. Caution: try it once you'll be a convert and doctors will look at you funny when the ol' physical comes around.:cool:

betic4lyf
05-05-2006, 22:14
all i know is that loose boxers dont do well when running in the cold rain