PDA

View Full Version : AT Initiation

PoppaZ
05-03-2006, 14:10
I have a friend whos in excellent shape but has never been much of a hiker. I wanted to take him out for a hike on the AT this summer (probably in early June to late July) to show him what hes missing out on. We're based on the border of CT and RI. He has little to no gear so I was figuring he could just pick up a cheap bag liner for an easy bag and I'd lend him an old pack of mine. Everything else we would either share or I'd find a cheap (Wally world) alternative for him. What section of the trail and time period would be best for us?

Thanks in advance

gsingjane
05-03-2006, 16:25
You really can't go wrong with a CT AT hike for a first hike and I also think it would be the quickest for you to access from where you are. The earlier in June you can go, the better IMO... you'll have less of a chance of gruesome heat and bugs.

Here is a fun and not too hard CT 3-night hike we did last year: go in at Pine Knob Loop in Kent, maybe at lunchtime, hike SOBO, stay the first night at Stewart Hollow, hike the next day up the Ledges and Schagticoke Mtn., down into the Macedonia Brook area, and stay at Mt. Algo, then the next day continue SOBO and stay at 10 Mile River. You could have somebody pick you up at Hoyt Rd., or Rt. 55 (I think), or spot a car at either of those places, or even hike down as far as the AT station in NY. If it's the weekend, you could end your hike by taking the Metro North into NYC.

I like this hike because it combines easy (Housatonic River walk) with more difficult (the Ledges) aspects, has lots to look at every day, and you really get a sense of progress.

On the bag liner idea, in my quest to go lighter I took one with me instead of a regular bag in July (in CT). I froze. YMMV. Otherwise the gear ideas sound good. I would just be sure to sort of "underpromise" and "overdeliver" in terms of the experience. Set low mileage goals and then if he exceeds them, terrific. Backpacking is physically quite challenging if you're not used to it, and your goal here is to make him enjoy it and want to go with you again, not to hike his legs off. Bring good food. Take lots of pictures. And have fun!

Jane in CT

kyhipo
05-03-2006, 16:29
I second that choice not real hard hiking and its fairly pretty,bulls bridge is nice.ky

Sly
05-03-2006, 18:44
If you have all of early June to late July to hike it will allow you to cover a very fair amount of trail.

I'd start in Kent and see how far I could go. You could possibly make it all the way to Katahdin!