PDA

View Full Version : What kind of fabric did I just buy (wal-mart)?

subigo
05-04-2006, 03:47
So I want to make a tarp... and I heard all about silnylon... and I heard some wal-marts have it for $1/yard. So I went there tonight and the lady at in the fabric section seemed like she knew what she was talking about.

First I heard "If you can't blow through the fabric, it's probably waterproof.", so there I am in wal-mart asking the lady for silnylon and she hands me this roll of fabric, "I'm pretty sure this is the stuff", she says as she hands me some slick grey color fabric (which looks to me to be the stuff... but what the hell do I know about fabric?). So I try to blow through it.... nothing. Fantastic, this has to be the stuff.... so I buy it.

I come home and cut off a small part (big enough to fit around my hand) and I pour water over it.... the water DOES bead up, but after about 10 seconds my hand started to get wet... obviously not waterproof! DAMN!

So now the question is, "What the hell did I just buy???". Here are 4 links to 4 large pictures that I took of the fabric. Can someone tell me what it is? And what it could be used for?

http://www.subnixus.com/images/fabric.JPG

http://www.subnixus.com/images/fabric2.JPG

http://www.subnixus.com/images/fabric3.JPG

http://www.subnixus.com/images/fabric4.JPG

subigo
05-04-2006, 03:59
Hmm... please note that I used a shower head to spray water on the fabric through to my hand.

Right now I am trying the "take a cup and tie a part of the fabric to the top. Make a little cup and put some water on top. See how long it takes to soak through." Method... and so far, after about 10 minutes the water has not soaked through.

titanium_hiker
05-04-2006, 05:42
if a showerhead makes it go through, what about a rain shower?

does it feel a little crinkly? Look up burn tests- where you take a little section and burn it, and check out the remains for evidence.

looks like sylnyl though.

titanium_hiker

subigo
05-04-2006, 06:28
After more research and testing, I am fairly certain that I have silnylon. The cup with the silnylon cover has still not leaked through.

I guess I just didn't really know enough about the stuff. When I was doing the shower test I was really putting it close to the shower head (which is pretty powerful). It wasn't taut, just tight and wrapped around my hand... I was trying to get my hand wet. Apparently, it's not 100% waterproof... in fact, I grabbed my umbrella and was able to do the same thing.

Finally I did the same shower test, without so much water pressure. I pulled it taut and let the water just run off it like rain would. Worked great. Water just ran down it for a good ten minutes and the underside was fine.

So... I think I have what I wanted. If not, I will use it anyway since it seems to work.

Now.... time to learn to sew... lol. 20 yards of this stuff for $20... good deal.

MacGyver2005
05-04-2006, 07:55
If they have any more and you are willing to share the wealth I will gladly reimburse you for it. If so, please email me at JMcAlister AT gmail DOT com.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

jazilla
05-04-2006, 09:06
I bought the same stuff last night from Walmart in 3 colors. It is Ripstop Nylon. Usually Silnylon has a dull side and a shinny side like a rain jacket. The shinny side is the coated side. If you have two sides that look the same it probably is just ripstop. But I have found these make great stuff sacks. Hope you got the sil you where looking for.

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 09:15
Another easy test.....cut some off....does the edge fray? work it a little, does the edge fray?...if either answer is yes it is probably rip stop with DWR finish....no fraying is probably silnyl....

Pan

Just Jeff
05-04-2006, 10:49
Jack, the silnylon on my Python Skins is fraying. Not much, but it's still fraying a bit.

Subigo, if they have any left, go buy everything they have and I'll take whatever MacGuyver doesn't want at $2/yd.

peter_pan
05-04-2006, 21:37
Jack, the silnylon on my Python Skins is fraying. Not much, but it's still fraying a bit.

Jeff,

You PS are getting pretty old...time to expect some fraying

My point on fraying is ..."when fresh cut."

BTW there is silnyl and double impregnated silnyl....Double imprgnated silnyl absolutely will not fray ...it also is stiffer and weighs more like 1.4/1-5 vs 1.3... all silnyl I've seen and used, including some infamous Wally World $1 back before JRB days, did not fray when cut...IMHO it is the one good thing about silnyl, you can use scissors...VS 1.1 DWR which requires a hot knife to avoid fraying...

Pan

subigo
05-04-2006, 21:42
Well, I probably just have DWR then. It definitely is a bitch to cut and it frays pretty bad.

Just Jeff
05-05-2006, 01:03
Jeff,

You PS are getting pretty old...time to expect some fraying

My point on fraying is ..."when fresh cut."

BTW there is silnyl and double impregnated silnyl....Double imprgnated silnyl absolutely will not fray ...it also is stiffer and weighs more like 1.4/1-5 vs 1.3... all silnyl I've seen and used, including some infamous Wally World $1 back before JRB days, did not fray when cut...IMHO it is the one good thing about silnyl, you can use scissors...VS 1.1 DWR which requires a hot knife to avoid fraying...

Pan

Ok - that makes sense. I haven't worked with much silnylon other than what I found at Walmart. It didn't fray when cut, either. Maybe it's double impregnated b/c it's kinda stiff, too.

The Skins only have a small area on the inside seam - no big deal.

Subigo, if you sew right after you cut, and use a rolled hem, you can get away w/o using a hot knife...it won't fray b/c the raw edge is inside the rolled hem.

erichlf
05-06-2006, 00:06
I bought the same stuff last night from Walmart in 3 colors. It is Ripstop Nylon. Usually Silnylon has a dull side and a shinny side like a rain jacket. The shinny side is the coated side. If you have two sides that look the same it probably is just ripstop. But I have found these make great stuff sacks. Hope you got the sil you where looking for.
SilNylon is shiny on both sides. Poly coated Nylon has a shiny side and a dull side.

TwoForty
08-20-2006, 21:50
So what is the verdict on this material? I just found two whole bolts of the exact same stuff. I may go back tonight and get some more for stuff sacks and a tarp. Maybe a pack cover too.

JimM
08-20-2006, 22:47
Another easy test.....cut some off....does the edge fray? work it a little, does the edge fray?...if either answer is yes it is probably rip stop with DWR finish....no fraying is probably silnyl....

Pan
Any recommendations for waterproofing the material if it is ripstop?
Thanks,
Jim

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 07:33

That is the stuff I always see and buy when I can ( still looking JJ;) ). It is Ripstop, like jazilla said. It can be further waterproofed as needed. I will go into how if you need me too, but there are three or four threads on WB on making silnylon. Just post here if you cant find em, and I'll retype the process.

GOOD SCORE!!!:D Even Ripstop at $1/yd is a steal.

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 10:10
Ripstop is how they make the material - it has the little squares of reinforcement, but it's completely untreated.

DWR is the treatment added to ripstop (and other things) that gives it a shiny side or not, makes it harder to blow through, etc.

Silnylon uses a different kind of treatment that makes it waterproof to certain pressures and you can't blow through it.

Based on posts 2 and 4, it sounds like some kind of silnylon to me. But "ripstop" without some treatment won't have a shiny side, will be very breathable, and won't offer any more water resistance than a synthetic T-shirt.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 11:52
Ripstop is how they make the material - it has the little squares of reinforcement, but it's completely untreated.

DWR is the treatment added to ripstop (and other things) that gives it a shiny side or not, makes it harder to blow through, etc.

Silnylon uses a different kind of treatment that makes it waterproof to certain pressures and you can't blow through it.

Based on posts 2 and 4, it sounds like some kind of silnylon to me. But "ripstop" without some treatment won't have a shiny side, will be very breathable, and won't offer any more water resistance than a synthetic T-shirt.
I was hoping you would see this thread. Heading over to my wally's today to look for some. Want some of this if I can get any?

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 12:33
I'm really looking for 1.9 oz olive drab DWR - I'll take it all if you find some. I guess I'll take any other DWR, too. And any silnylon you find as long as it's not fuschia or something.

landcruzr
08-21-2006, 12:46
I couldnt pass up the deal either- So off I Went to Wal-mart-.....I found several bolts of rip stop nylon in different colors, and then mixed in with the group of fabric was a rip stop nylon- slightly different than the rest- it had two sides- one treated or shinier than the other- all the other rip stop had the same feeling on both sides- so I walked up to the sales lady(because I dont know JACK about fabric either) and I sked her if she knew what it was-the answer is....... "SOME KIND OF NYLON"- I smiled and asked if she saw a difference between the two "NYLON" fabrics.....The answer was that one "has definately been treated with something"......SO I bought 12 yds at $1.00 per yard....its even a nice color, kinda a gray green- now I'm headed for the sewing machine!!

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 13:52
I'm really looking for 1.9 oz olive drab DWR - I'll take it all if you find some. I guess I'll take any other DWR, too. And any silnylon you find as long as it's not fuschia or something.
Arent you comfortable with your sexuality?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Just Jeff
08-21-2006, 16:10
Yep - I just don't want to be seen being comfortable with my sexuality...

MedicineMan
08-21-2006, 18:30
i've got some Starter stuff from China, oh I mean Walmart and after the last 5 day round in PA i stunk to high hell....on last weeks hike in Kings Canyon I wore the microweight T-shirt by Smartwool---in the 90s Temp wise and never stunk....i'm tired of synthetics unless its just a day hike and i'm in the mood to smell like a goat.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 21:03
Yep - I just don't want to be seen being comfortable with my sexuality...
Good response, made me smile.:)

StarLyte
08-21-2006, 22:04
i've got some Starter stuff from China, oh I mean Walmart and after the last 5 day round in PA i stunk to high hell....on last weeks hike in Kings Canyon I wore the microweight T-shirt by Smartwool---in the 90s Temp wise and never stunk....i'm tired of synthetics unless its just a day hike and i'm in the mood to smell like a goat.

Hello Medicine Man. I know you have photos from your trip. :D

Welcome back.

MedicineMan
08-22-2006, 02:38
i refrain from posting pics here that are not closely related to the AT. I did post a pic of the DoubleRainbow in use and a pic of Tang-former AT thru-hiker. If you want to see more of the Rae Lakes Loop go here:
http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=553379871&ran=29176
Enjoy :)
Forgot to mention, in the group photo at Glen Pass in the middle is an 'older' man....this is WisconsinDave the man behind Bear's Den remaining in the ATC's possession. Without his influence Bear's Den would have been sold long ago. This was his 65th Aniversary hike of the Rae Lakes Loop, he was 18 years old the first time...quite a specimen at 82!

Lrg 50KR
08-30-2006, 14:05
Here's something to try....take a large square of fabric, gather the edges up to make a bag, fill it with water and hold it.

The Wallyworld stuff I have leaks water at the interstices of the ripstop threads. ...and occasionally other places. Clearly not waterproff...resistant, yes. It does not fray quickly when cut, but it sure needs to be treated if you want something waterproof.

-Tod

PS hopefully this weekend I will be reporting on the completion of my various projects...the hammock is done, as is the poncho liner based SPE. The gearskin is almost done and I started the rainfly last night.

erichlf
08-30-2006, 19:05
looks like 1.1oz silnylon to me, but things look different in person.