PDA

View Full Version : Who's the strongest over 50 hiker

lobster
05-04-2006, 10:43
you have seen? I mean somebody who can walk big miles day in and day out.

Footslogger
05-04-2006, 10:48
Definitely wouldn't have been me during my thru in 2003.

But ...now that I got my kidney stone thing taken care of I might be in the running. Then again, my honest preference is not to do consistently big miles. The return in terms of wear/tear isn't worth the investment in the long haul.

'Slogger

Kerosene
05-04-2006, 10:59
There was an old guy I ran into at the GA/NC border two years ago in early April who really impressed me. I didn't record his trail name, but I know that he was a regular starter in Georgia many years, although he didn't always complete a thru. I believe that he was over 70, and while he didn't hike fast I know that he was consistently cranking out 15 mile days. I'm sure that there are strong over-50s, but he was remarkable as an over-70.

LostInSpace
05-04-2006, 11:02
Lobster asked, "Who's the strongest over 50 hiker?"

Do you mean over 50 years old or over 50 miles a day? :D

Footslogger
05-04-2006, 11:05
Lobster asked, "Who's the strongest over 50 hiker?"

Do you mean over 50 years old or over 50 miles a day? :D
==============================
If it's 50 Miles ...I'm out !!

'Slogger

Squeaky 2
05-04-2006, 11:34
i meet a guy on my first PCT thru who was hiking a 40mile day in the castle crags..............he was in his 70's. that guy was one of the most inspiring people i have met.

Tha Wookie
05-04-2006, 11:36
I vote for the ex-president of the Colorado Trail Foundation, retired AF colonel, family man, and monster hiker Merle McDonald.

at age 72, he averaged 22+ miles on his thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. He leads many work trips and hikes to this day, rarely stopping to eat or rest. He is a real role model.

I beleive he's about 75 now.

kyhipo
05-04-2006, 11:38
I thought ice falcon was a stronge hiker in 99 and ofcourse my favorite is paw paw just love his attitude.ky

Nean
05-04-2006, 12:20
That's easy, that would be my friend, Baltimore Jack!:D

gsingjane
05-04-2006, 13:00
I met a guy at 10 Mile River shelter in CT last summer named Bob, whom I believe was over 50 and who was doing between 25-30 mpd. He had big thick glasses and was either doing a thru or a really long section hike, I don't remember. He was mostly talking with Roamin' Gnome.

Jane in CT

Shutterbug
05-04-2006, 13:20

In 2004, when I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness, I was a couple of days behind a grandmother who was was on her third thur-hike. I did not catch up to her, but read her posts in several shelter journals.

I don't remember her name, but when she reached Mt. Katahdin, she was so tired she couldn't make it back down. In looking for her name, I found this notation in a report about 2004 rescues on Mt. Katahdin,

"Another 81-year-old woman who climbed Katahdin was so exhausted by the hike that, like Copeland, couldn’t make it down. She spent the night somewhere on the mountain and walked down by herself."

She probably isn't the "strongest" hiker, but she would get my vote for the hiker with the most grit.

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 13:22
The most impressive hiker over 50 that I know is probably Fiddlehead.

He's also more impressive than just about any hiker I've met who is under 50, too.

mweinstone
05-04-2006, 14:48
hes old ,diein,and a saint. hes my strongest hikin buddy ever.jaywalker for sure.

Lion King
05-04-2006, 14:52
BATCH hands down.--he is 83 I think

That guy and his wife ROCK!

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 15:08
I guess the only way to find out who the strongest (as defined by 'hiking big miles day in and day out') over 50 hiker is, would be to have a two week unsupported hike (southbound) in Maine in early August for people over 50 y.o.. Whoever got the farthest over a 14-day period (ie. running clock) would be recognized as the strongest among the participants. There could also be a 'over 60' group and a 'over 70' group.

The event could take place August 2-15 and be in two trail segments:

Segment #1 - 155 miles from Abol Bridge CG to Long Falls Dam Road.

Segment #2 - As many miles as possible with the remaining days from Grafton Notch down into Vermont.

The only physical support one can have is the vehicle shuttle between Long Falls Dam Rd. and Grafton Notch.

If folks are interested in this, I would be willing to coordinate it as well as participate.

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 15:19
Am I the only one who is not remotely surprised that Warren is volunteering to organize and oversee something as meaningless as this?

And am I the only one amused at his dictating who is and who isn't entitled to vehicular support while hiking?

This alone is priceless.

Traction
05-04-2006, 15:28
hahaha.. did i really just read that? wow. :eek:

mingo
05-04-2006, 15:37
Am I the only one who is not remotely surprised that Warren is volunteering to organize and oversee something as meaningless as this?

And am I the only one amused at his dictating who is and who isn't entitled to vehicular support while hiking?

This alone is priceless.

there you go again. mr negativity

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 15:38
See last word in post #15 - p*********e

max patch
05-04-2006, 15:44
Is Mr Doyle going to put together a "How to be a strong hiker after 50" seminar?

Jack Tarlin
05-04-2006, 16:12
If this was truly as test of who's the strongest hiker, in the interest of fairness, it would seem to me that everyone should be outfitted in the same manner.

In my experience, there aren't many lightweight or ultra-lightweight middle-aged hikers.

So to make this a fair contest, how about mandating that everyone who participates in this venture wear the same backpack, and that the packs all weigh the same, say forty pounds or so, even tho most over-50 hikers on the Trail actually carry more than this.

This way, there would be no special advantages for those who habitually hike packless. After all, we wouldn't want to give anyone an unfair advantage in this affair.

Needless to say, I'm sure Warren, as moderator and organizer, would agree with me on this, because I know he wouldn't want anyone to have an edge over the other competitors, especially those who usually wear a backpack.

Alligator
05-04-2006, 16:22
And should they be over 50 and lacking, they also have to wear one of these for hydration http://www.thebeerbelly.com/;) .

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 19:07
Once again, the 'over50 AT Challenge' would be unsupported hiking except for transportation from Long Falls Dam Rd. to Grafton Notch. Part of strength is being smart. If one's comfort level enables them to carry only 20lbs without vehicle support than so be it.
Lobster's initial post was about what 'over 50' person could hike the big miles day in and day out, he didn't mention about pack weight.
I guess self-supporting AT thru-hikers who backpack 30 lbs.(or less) are less deserving ( in a few people's eyes) than those who choose to carry 40-50 pounds.

Lion King
05-04-2006, 19:09
I like roller coasters.

Nean
05-04-2006, 20:55
I was having some fun nominating "old" Jack. Fiddlehead is over 50 and strong indeed. Just a guess, but I don't think the question had anything to do with slackpacking fast or staging a race.:-?

eArThworm
05-04-2006, 21:35
Have any of you folks hiked with Stumpknocker?? Whew. That man can do BIG miles. (And remain a super-good person.)

Skidsteer
05-04-2006, 21:45
Have any of you folks hiked with Stumpknocker?? Whew. That man can do BIG miles. (And remain a super-good person.)

Doh! Forgot about Stumpknocker!

betic4lyf
05-04-2006, 21:55
I just took the AP exam for BC calculus. it was a pretty good test. the multiple choice where pretty easy, but the long answer wher dificult

Rain Man
05-04-2006, 23:38
I don't remember her name, but when she reached Mt. Katahdin, she was so tired she couldn't make it back down. In looking for her name, I found this notation in a report about 2004 rescues on Mt. Katahdin,

"Another 81-year-old woman who climbed Katahdin was so exhausted by the hike that, like Copeland, couldn’t make it down. She spent the night somewhere on the mountain and walked down by herself."....

Hmmmmmm ... would this have been September 17, 2004???

Rain:sunMan

MedicineMan
05-05-2006, 05:12
that's 13 days. I could probably get 104 miles done...

Lion King
05-05-2006, 07:38
Doh! Forgot about Stumpknocker!

No Poo!

I forget he is getting on in years!:D

Ne is another nonstop machine. and his pack aint small.

Kerosene
05-05-2006, 09:19
BATCH hands down.--he is 83 I think. That guy and his wife ROCK!Batch was the guy I was talking about, I think, although he appeared to be hiking alone. I met him when he stopped for a break at Muskrat Creek Shelter, just north of the GA/NC line. I had stopped for an early dinner before pushing on to the Kimsey Creek Trail at the end of my section hike. I caught him on the climb before Deep Gap, where the rocks had slowed him down just a bit. I hope I can be walking that strong when I'm 83!

Lion King
05-05-2006, 09:31
Batch was the guy I was talking about, I think, although he appeared to be hiking alone. I met him when he stopped for a break at Muskrat Creek Shelter, just north of the GA/NC line. I had stopped for an early dinner before pushing on to the Kimsey Creek Trail at the end of my section hike. I caught him on the climb before Deep Gap, where the rocks had slowed him down just a bit. I hope I can be walking that strong when I'm 83!

His wife thru hiked when she was in her 70's if I remember correctly and Batch has done thousands of miles on the AT.
He still does 20's almost everyday..from Sunup to sundown...just amazing.

They do a lot of Trail Magic in New Hampshire as well, they live close to Crawford/pinkam notch area.
Great people.

Cookerhiker
05-05-2006, 09:34
I don't see this as a leading to a single answer. As pointed out previously, there are so many variables - pack weight, terrain to name a few. Also there are differences between 50-year olds and 80-year-olds.

Last year in Maine I met a 62-year old hiker named Cheshire Cat who was competing his 3rd AT section hike. He packed very light (and lectured me that I should do the same) and was as fit and nimble as the 20-somethings thruhikers. While I wasn't enamored of his personality, I admired him for his conditioning and hikng ability.

Alligator
05-05-2006, 09:37
I don't see this as a leading to a single answer. As pointed out previously, there are so many variables - pack weight, terrain to name a few. Also there are differences between 50-year olds and 80-year-olds.

Last year in Maine I met a 62-year old hiker named Cheshire Cat who was competing his 3rd AT section hike. He packed very light (and lectured me that I should do the same) and was as fit and nimble as the 20-somethings thruhikers. While I wasn't enamored of his personality, I admired him for his conditioning and hikng ability.
If you run into him again tell him to smile and go away:).

Gray Blazer
05-05-2006, 11:57
Is there a prize for the weakest over 50 hiker? I believe that people ( 3-100) who take daily walks in the mountains are going to be better hikers than someone like me who lives in FL and the only mountain hiking I can do here is going up and down Mt. Dora. A couple of years ago, I left Spivey Gap headed up to Big Bald and about halfway up I met a couple in their 80's out for a nice days walk. They had left one car at Spivey and started their walk from Sam's. I had driven all night from FL and was hiking up the mountain for the first time that year and I'm sure I looked like hell. They, on the other hand looked fresh and fit. It's like those people who hike in the Alps all the time. I call them Mountain Goats.

Tin Man
05-05-2006, 12:03
Is there a prize for the weakest over 50 hiker? I believe that people ( 3-100) who take daily walks in the mountains are going to be better hikers than someone like me who lives in FL and the only mountain hiking I can do here is going up and down Mt. Dora. A couple of years ago, I left Spivey Gap headed up to Big Bald and about halfway up I met a couple in their 80's out for a nice days walk. They had left one car at Spivey and started their walk from Sam's. I had driven all night from FL and was hiking up the mountain for the first time that year and I'm sure I looked like hell. They, on the other hand looked fresh and fit. It's like those people who hike in the Alps all the time. I call them Mountain Goats.

Try the stairs on a local public building. Hotels or even malls have stairs and you could get a workout by going up and down the stairs. I do some of my training by walking up and down the stairs when I have a break at work. It has been suggested that I do so with a pack, but I have yet to try that.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2006, 12:09
Tinman, that's a good idea. The scenery is pretty boring. Stadium steps are good, also. We have "The Swamp" here in Gainesville (I know I just made all you volunteers shudder, sorry about that). BTW, "The Swamp" is the gators football stadium. Peyton Manning hates the place!

Ewker
05-05-2006, 12:44
Tinman, that's a good idea. The scenery is pretty boring. Stadium steps are good, also. We have "The Swamp" here in Gainesville (I know I just made all you volunteers shudder, sorry about that). BTW, "The Swamp" is the gators football stadium. Peyton Manning hates the place!

didn't Manning lead the band in a rousing addition of Rocky Top there..or was that at Bama's stadium

Jack Tarlin
05-05-2006, 13:33
In re. to Mr. Doyle's above post (#23), it is indeed true that pack weight wasn't mentioned in Lobster's original post, but Mr. Doyle is neglecting to mention that most (say 99% or more) of the folks who are long-distance A.T. hikers carry a backpack, i.e. they do not make a practice of slackpacking most or all of the Trail, nor do they rely on longterm vehicular support to make their travels easier.

I note also that Mr. Doyle has expressed a desire to join this competitive contest for over-50 hikers. I had thought at first, and expressed earlier that if this "contest" were to be packless, there would inevitably be an unfair initial advantage for those who habitually hike the A.T. without packs, and that there would obviously be a competitive advantage for participants who are accustomed to hiking without packs. Therefore, making everyone carry the same weight, whether it be 20, 30, or more pounds would insure that everyone began the contest on an equal footing, and career slackpackers would not be granted an initial edge.

I had thought that in the interest of fairness, Mr. Doyle would embrace this suggestion, and would welcome the chance to have a contest where nobody was given an unfair advantage at the outset.

It is evident that I was mistaken.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2006, 13:36
didn't Manning lead the band in a rousing addition of Rocky Top there..or was that at Bama's stadium

Wasn't that in Knoxville? I thought he never won in G'ville. I am getting old and my memory does slip. Something about what you said sounds familiar.

Gray Blazer
05-05-2006, 13:39
One way to get more mileage is to not sleep in, but get up at the crack of dawn or before and hit the trail. You'll be surprised at how many more miles you'll get in if you don't sleep late.

fiddlehead
05-05-2006, 21:36
The most impressive hiker over 50 that I know is probably Fiddlehead.

He's also more impressive than just about any hiker I've met who is under 50, too.

I really am honored Balt. Jack, but i would vote for Batch.
I only can hope that i'll still be alive when i'm his age let alone hike like he does.
I hiked a lot on the PCT with him when he was 75 and he was very impressive.

I don't hike much anymore now that we have a 6 month old baby. But i hope to as soon as he is able. (right now he doesn't even crawl yet but does like to travel.)
Also, i don't know if "Wall" is over 50 but i wouldn't want to try to keep up to him for too long.

betic4lyf
05-05-2006, 22:10
just out of interest, but have jack tralin and warren doyle ever met?

betic4lyf
05-05-2006, 22:10
sorry *jack tarlin

warren doyle
05-06-2006, 02:00
Not in the 1970's nor the 1980's but several times in the last ten years.

fishinfred
05-06-2006, 08:56
There was a 68 year old guy (about 6'+) ,in 2004 ,whose name was DREAMER who I met in Erwin.He was from Missouri and raced bycycles or something like that. Anyways he had a bum knee and was resting it at Miss Janets, the dr in town told him he couldnt hike anymore and Dreamer said "Just give me the shot"(cortizone) I'm Hiking! He got the shot and he rested a few days and went off hiking .I think Sarge was his support person. I was impressed with his determination to Get it done! Anyone recall him or know if he ever made it?
One of the nicest people I met that year ,I hope he made it!
Fishinfred

Burn
05-06-2006, 09:00
in 04 there was a guy named wanderlost...my guess is he was in his 80's....seems that old fart would hike 10-15 miles a day even when he might head south cause he had no sense of direction, and meet folks who he knew going north and turn around and go north and pass them. I saw him at least 3 times personally and knew folks who would say he was just back at the last shelter. the only way i didn't hike away from him was the number of zero days i took compared to his hike every day mentality. Last saw him at just past McAfee Knob ahead of me, after trail days....again ahead of me...he had fallen at Dragon's tooth and broke several ribs and was as usual disoriented thinking he should go south i pointed him north and encouraged him to get his body checked out....he was disinterested in the ribs knowing there is little to do for them....i felt for him seriously with what looked like a 40+ pack and lack of sleep....it still amazes me he was a regular go getter....i offered him food, in case he might take longer to get to daleville, he didn't want any food or help, he was a true boyscout doing his own hike....any ideas of his age...possibly in his 80s

Nean
05-06-2006, 10:03
Not in the 1970's nor the 1980's but several times in the last ten years.

I'll give you credit for that one Warren, made me giggle.

The Desperado
05-06-2006, 10:45
This one is really difficult. I would say I would say "Blue Sky" from 1962, at 70 plus years he could do [on a regular basis] 25 mile days..not easy back in the "old days" with that equip.. Second vote [sentimental] would be for my old friend---Paw Paw from Kentucky.....

LEGS
05-06-2006, 22:50
Guess I'll Have To Add The Nimblewill Nomad To The List. I Doubt If There Are Many Out There Who Can Keep Up With Him Day After Day. 30+ Miles Seem Like Nothing To Him. I Believe He Is About 65 Now, But Was 60 And 62 When He Did The Eastern Contintal Trail,from Fla. To Gaspe, And Then From Gaspe To Fla. One Hell Of A Hiker For Sure. Oh Yeah And He Finished He American Discovery Trail ,as Well As The Lewis And Clark Trails. And He Was Definately Over 62 When He Was Doing Those Last Two Trails. Don't Know What His Plans Are For The Moment But I'll Bet He's Hiking Somewhere. Oh And Jack, Hope Ya Like The Caps, I'm As Lazy As Ever.

fiddlehead
05-07-2006, 22:41
I had to laugh at the post by Warren about a race. I don't think racing Warren would be funny, but a race strictly on his terms, in his element, would be funny. Who would enter?
The original post was about an over 50 strong hiker. To me a hiker is someone with many skills including route finding, trail finding/blazing, finding water, shade in the desert, dry camping, as well as following a trail.
The only fair way (in my opinion) to have a race, would be to have one in a place where all of the particpants have never been before. Make route finding part of it by mandatory bushwhacking for all or part of the way. Use desert, swamps, mtns, rivers, and possibly even in a different country where the locals don't speak English.
Only then could you have a true test.
But then again, hiking is not a competitive sport, is it?

Interesting that after reading this thread 2 days ago, i started adding one beach length to my daily jog on the beach. They're having an International Phuket Marathon here (in Thailand) next month.
(Maybe Warren would like to come and run. Of course it's 105 in the shade and there ain't no shade on most of the course. ) (no pack necessary)

alanthealan
05-08-2006, 09:29
I hiked a good bit with Sawbuck last spring, he's the one who instilled into me the belife that I could finish. We keep Warren's pace in S. VA with packs, but I think a strong hiker is somebody who can put in miles, but more importantly has a possitive atitude. I wish there was a way to say thank you to poeple like this.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2006, 07:55

Sorry to hijack this thread. I was right. Peyton never beat the gators ever. His little bro has beaten them twice. Clausen was the one who lead the band at the Swamp.

lobster
05-09-2006, 11:38
Football is a sad sport!!!!!

Ewker
05-09-2006, 12:29
Sorry to hijack this thread. I was right. Peyton never beat the gators ever. His little bro has beaten them twice. Clausen was the one who lead the band at the Swamp.

I knew it was one of the QB's that lead the band. Oh well back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2006, 13:59
Football is a sad sport!!!!!

Eating lobster (The crustaceans, that is)is more fun.:banana

leeki pole
05-09-2006, 14:28

How 'bout them Ole Miss Rebels! Whohooo, and thanks Eli!

"Hotty toddy gosh almighty who the hell are we, hey!
Flim flam bim bam Ole Miss by damn!" :banana

Lone Wolf
02-11-2008, 16:26

when i turn 50, it will be me

hobojoe
02-11-2008, 16:31
Cage match to decide???

jlb2012
02-11-2008, 16:32
Is Billygoat (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19140) over 50? If so he's a good candidate.

rcli4
02-11-2008, 16:54
I'll bet you couldn't find many 50 plus hikers that give a ****. Most have grown up by that time and know what is important

Clyde

Lone Wolf
02-11-2008, 16:54
:d............

slow
02-11-2008, 18:41
I'll bet you couldn't find many 50 plus hikers that give a ****. Most have grown up by that time and know what is important

Clyde

Very true.

And some that Never made ..point A TO B ...but THINK they know all,is a JOKE and people just suck up to a Q.:confused:

A-Train
02-11-2008, 18:42
Is Billygoat (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19140) over 50? If so he's a good candidate.

He was my vote. A really strong hiker, and a great guy. He lives for the PCT.

mkmangold
02-11-2008, 18:50
I am. Right kids?

cannonball
02-11-2008, 19:49
Guess I'll Have To Add The Nimblewill Nomad To The List. I Doubt If There Are Many Out There Who Can Keep Up With Him Day After Day. 30+ Miles Seem Like Nothing To Him. I Believe He Is About 65 Now, But Was 60 And 62 When He Did The Eastern Contintal Trail,from Fla. To Gaspe, And Then From Gaspe To Fla. One Hell Of A Hiker For Sure. Oh Yeah And He Finished He American Discovery Trail ,as Well As The Lewis And Clark Trails. And He Was Definately Over 62 When He Was Doing Those Last Two Trails. Don't Know What His Plans Are For The Moment But I'll Bet He's Hiking Somewhere. Oh And Jack, Hope Ya Like The Caps, I'm As Lazy As Ever.
The Nomad will be nobo on the pct with shetowee leaving around the 3rd week of April. He will turn 70 on that walk.

ScottP
02-11-2008, 20:04
A 63 year old man was going significantly (25%+) faster than the 2 ultra runners that attempted the PCT record last year (neither of them finished their hikes)

Montego
02-11-2008, 20:20

Clyde

For myself and IMO this is true. I'll leave all this competition stuff to the young'uns. For myself, I'm more interested in just seeing and experiencing all the beauty I can, and that will more than likely mean a relatively slow journey (10 - 15 mpd): HYOH

jurahd
03-03-2008, 14:05
In 2007 I think it must have been J.B.

weary
03-03-2008, 14:51
If this was truly as test of who's the strongest hiker, in the interest of fairness, it would seem to me that everyone should be outfitted in the same manner.

In my experience, there aren't many lightweight or ultra-lightweight middle-aged hikers.

So to make this a fair contest, how about mandating that everyone who participates in this venture wear the same backpack, and that the packs all weigh the same, say forty pounds or so, even tho most over-50 hikers on the Trail actually carry more than this.

This way, there would be no special advantages for those who habitually hike packless. After all, we wouldn't want to give anyone an unfair advantage in this affair.

Needless to say, I'm sure Warren, as moderator and organizer, would agree with me on this, because I know he wouldn't want anyone to have an edge over the other competitors, especially those who usually wear a backpack.
Jack, Let's not over regulate a simple idea. The "winners" win nothing, except an excuse for a walk in the woods. And everyone gets that. This is the ultimate win-win contest. Even I might enter, though I think I'll vie to be the slowest.

In fact, I think I'll "compete" whether anyone else does or not.

I go in for a lung test in the morning. The last four annual tests have all shown 40 % of normal capacity, thanks to a heart medicine that produced massive lung scar tissue. I'm extremely lucky it's stabilized. Most victims deteriorate until they die.

So, it's settled, I'll meet anyone who wants to go on the trail somewhere in the "wilderness," sometime next August. Mine will be the no rule contingent. Not even an ending point. Just a leisurely walk in the woods.

Weary

Fastforward
03-03-2008, 15:55
I hope he does!

Monkeyboy
03-03-2008, 17:12
I've hiked over many 50 year olds on the trail.....

They were just laying there, gasping for breath like a fish out of water, clutching their chests......

What else is there to do but hike over them?

Lilred
03-03-2008, 18:05
Model T has done 4 thru hikes over the age of 50.

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:37
Has anyone said Jack Lalane????
Jack LaLane
Paul Reubens
Sybill Shepard

:confused:

Sly
03-03-2008, 18:46
What's big miles?

warraghiyagey
03-03-2008, 18:48
What's big miles?
Prorated nauticle miles???

Mother Nature
03-03-2008, 20:20
No Poo!

I forget he is getting on in years!:D

Ne is another nonstop machine. and his pack aint small.

Oh my that is toooo good. He called today asking me to send him something from his stash at my place. I am going to print this out and include it. He has been raggin on Mrs G for having birthday recently.

I am still laughing.

Darryl G
03-04-2008, 22:56
Therefore, making everyone carry the same weight, whether it be 20, 30, or more pounds would insure that everyone began the contest on an equal footing

Thats like making all basketball players wear the same shoes, all tennis players use the same raquets, all baseball players use the same bat, etc. Equipment should be up to the individual...if someone wants to do it barefoot with nothin but a box of sugar cubes to eat that should be up to them, IMHO.