PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky, are you staying in any hotels?

lobster
05-04-2006, 10:49
That would disqualify any record setting trek!

Squeaky 2
05-04-2006, 11:38
why would that disqualify a record attempt???

my plan is to stay on the trail for the whole time, i dont even plan to stay with the road team at night. every second is going to count!

but rest assured the amicalola falls resort will be top on my list!

Nean
05-04-2006, 11:41
if lobster says it would disqualify you it must be true. What are the other rules we should be aware of lobster?:o

Squeaky 2
05-04-2006, 11:46
hold on Nean i am still writing down the rules for the kennebec and blow downs............now hotels!!!

actually remembering our last stay in the hotel i am banning you from hotels for the duration of the trip!!!

lobster
05-04-2006, 11:50
I think the blowdown rule is a little too anal so I am not that totalitarian! Squeaky, glad to hear about your staying on the trail. Very wise indeed with time as a factor. Just get up early and fly!

Nean
05-04-2006, 11:58
actually remembering our last stay in the hotel i am banning you from hotels for the duration of the trip!!!

Probably not a bad idea!:-? :eek: :D :o

MacGyver2005
05-04-2006, 12:50
I think the blowdown rule is a little too anal so I am not that totalitarian! Squeaky, glad to hear about your staying on the trail. Very wise indeed with time as a factor. Just get up early and fly!

Totalitarian? Do you even know what that means? It doesn't fit in the context of your sentence... :confused:

Aside from the fact that this is more suited for a PM. Who am I kidding, you won't listen anyway.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

lobster
05-04-2006, 14:26
Explain why not in all your ultimate wisdom!

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 14:28
"my plan is to stay on the trail for the whole time, i dont even plan to stay with the road team at night. every second is going to count!"

Matt,
It is better not to paint yourself into a corner.

MacGyver2005
05-04-2006, 15:13
Explain why not in all your ultimate wisdom!

What are you talking about? Speak english coherently!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Nean
05-04-2006, 17:51
"my plan is to stay on the trail for the whole time, i dont even plan to stay with the road team at night. every second is going to count!"

Matt,

Why do you keep riding this horse Warren? Do you think Matt is lying? Why can't he say what he feels w/o your: better watch what you say- comments. He is old enough to say what he wants. If he does so happen stay w/ the crew---so what! He is not obligated to stay or not stay anywhere.

vipahman
05-04-2006, 18:16

Matt,
Warren's right. All these rules from the naysayers are meaningless and are not worthy of a response. Just do your stuff. Almost everyone is rooting for you.

warren doyle
05-04-2006, 18:33
Nean,

Of course I don't think Matt is lying and he is old enough to say what he wants. And I'm old enough, and wise enough in long distance endurance hiking, that I feel it is highly unlikely that he will never spend a night at a road crossing.
I offer that as advice. Confidence is good but it also has to be grounded in reality. While Matt has a lot of hiking experience he has less experience in AT record setting than the past AT record-holders whose confidence would not permit them to say such things before they actually started.
This sub40 day record attempt is the most 'public' record attempt ever. One would be naive to think that bold statements by the record-seeker would not go unquestioned.

Nean
05-04-2006, 21:07
I do not question your age or wisdom Warren, I just don't think it matters if he sleeps near (avoided with:D ) the crew at any point. He says he does not plan to and thats the truth. Even a wise man has room to learn. So what if he states it for all to see. Its his hike.:)

Squeaky 2
05-05-2006, 12:20
its not my plan to stay at roads each night, but if its for the best on that particular day then i will. i just feel that so much time gets wasted by going as far as the furthest road each day. i dont plan on being limited to that.

i am just looking forward to the many challenges i will face as i am sure the road crew are looking forward to theirs.

Nean
05-05-2006, 12:32
...and I just inspected the bottom of his shoes, no paint:rolleyes:

warren doyle
05-05-2006, 13:39
Matt,
Now that sounds like a more realistic and flexible statement for someone who is attempting a vehicle-supported sub40 day AT thru-hike to say.

Tin Man
05-05-2006, 14:05
Squeaky, If you are never staying at a hotel, I hope your road crew plans to hose you down once in awhile. ;)

Squeaky 2
05-05-2006, 17:08
Warren there is no differenece to that statement to the first one i made. i do not PLAN to stay with the road team. i realise that i have made this public, but that was to sponsor the trip so it was possible for this year. to be honest i am getting bored with everyone nit picking at my goals, i would rather they shut up and went out and tried for themselves. people have questioned my reasons for chosing a supported speed hike right down to how i will pass blow downs.

whether its the AT in 40 days or 6 times in one season if i set my mind to something i will achieve it. and to be totally honest i am finding it hard believing it will be tougher than last years hike. if its not i will be very dissapointed to say the least. i hope it does take every ounce out of me, only then will i feel i have achieved something.

Heater
05-05-2006, 17:35
whether its the AT in 40 days or 6 times in one season if i set my mind to something i will achieve it.

The 6 thruhikes in one season challenge, huh? :-?
:D

Sly
05-05-2006, 17:40
The 6 thruhikes in one season challenge, huh? :-?
:D
I'm in, if someone will sponsor me! I'll go easy for the first 6 months to get in shape, then do the next 5 at 36 days per thru-hike! :)

lobster
05-05-2006, 18:07
No hiking on windy days with the wind at your back! Anything exceeding a 10 miles per hour tail wind and the record will be wind-aided and have an asterisk beside it!

Nean
05-06-2006, 09:57
No hiking on windy days with the wind at your back! Anything exceeding a 10 miles per hour tail wind and the record will be wind-aided and have an asterisk beside it!

I got a laugh from that one lobster! Hey mate, I started the blowdown houie just to show how ridiculous the nit pickers can be, but I believe lobster has one upped me!:D
My take is that somebody :rolleyes: is playing the odds (300 to 1):rolleyes: and positioning for the ol': I'm so wise, I told you so routine. I guess that's what happens when you're past your prime.:o

RITBlake
05-07-2006, 05:12
I got a laugh from that one lobster! Hey mate, I started the blowdown houie just to show how ridiculous the nit pickers can be, but I believe lobster has one upped me!
My take is that somebody is playing the odds (300 to 1) and positioning for the ol': I'm so wise, I told you so routine. I guess that's what happens when you're past your prime.
I read that twice, still don't understand. ? :banana:banana:banana:banana

Nean
05-07-2006, 10:51
I read that twice, still don't understand. ?

Now we are even. I read your post twice and still don't understand.:( :o

Hana_Hanger
05-07-2006, 14:33
Nean: Now I am confused....what is a blowdown?

Squeaky: I am not going to use the phase that is used so much of "Hike Your Own Hike" but "Just Do It" and "Have It Your Way" "Go For It" oh wait those are used a lot as well. :P

Meanwhile I will wait and watch from afar in awe, and hope you have another journal to enjoy and read :D

Nean
05-07-2006, 15:45
Hey HH, a blowdown is a tree that is laying across the trail.

Tin Man
05-07-2006, 16:37
Hey HH, a blowdown is a tree that is laying across the trail.

Or anywhere convenient (not in the way) or inconvenient (in the way) and typically occurs due to high wind or a bad storm or both. Sometimes a tree just falls just because its time is up and I think that is referred to as just plain inconvenient. ;)

Hana_Hanger
05-07-2006, 17:00
Mahalo (Thank You Nean and Tin Man :)

Heater
05-08-2006, 06:14
Mahalo (Thank You Nean and Tin Man :)

Here's a good article.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=95886&postcount=1

Sloghound
05-08-2006, 11:27
Is this a hypnotic trance induction, the latest dance craze, a trail holler, or the best chant to ward off city weariness?

For you rebels and late starters, it's........

SOBO-NOBO-SOBO-NOBO-SOBO-NOBO

I wrote this while listening to Acen Radio, on the web from Wales!

I like the way all these sound.

Flipus Flopus Maximus

Roman Endurance Typist

P.S. Squeaky may have a highly secret policy of "Drop, and grab 40 winks!"