PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Recommendations and advise

Big Guy
05-04-2006, 12:16
Planning to hike Katahdin July 19 or 20th. I already have reservations at the Katahdin Inn. I would like recommendations as to trails to hike to Baxter Peak. What should I plan on carrying with me that day besides food and water,. What weather can I expect and what about black flies and mosquitoes’. Any advise will be appreciated. :-?

icemanat95
05-04-2006, 12:33
Black Flies are generally done by then, thought eh mosquitos are present. Weather can be anything from blistering hot and humid to cold and even snow flurries. For one day hikes, your options diminish a bit. The Hunt Trail right up the AT is always a good choice. If you've got the time and energy, you can jaunt across the Knife Edge to Pamola Peak and back again. Abol Slide trail is a rough path up, not unfun, but rough, you are climbing a rock slide.

From Roaring Brook, you are looking at covering a fair bit of mileage to get to the Summit, but there are several good paths. But this side is best tackled from an overnight at Chimney Pond (which is a treat in itself).