PDA

View Full Version : ENO Hammocks

skymom
05-04-2006, 22:19
Anyone use the ENO Hammocks? Pros/ Cons?
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products-index.html

I just got one as an early Mother's Day gift! Pretty good deal through Great Outdoor Provision.

Set up the hammock, pretty comfortable. Didn't get a chance to set up the fly though. I got the double nest hammock and Dry Fly rain tarp. I haven't done any hammock camping yet but am planning on getting started ASAP!

Any input or suggestions?

neo
05-04-2006, 22:23
Anyone use the ENO Hammocks? Pros/ Cons?
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/products-index.html

I just got one as an early Mother's Day gift! Pretty good deal through Great Outdoor Provision.

Set up the hammock, pretty comfortable. Didn't get a chance to set up the fly though. I got the double nest hammock and Dry Fly rain tarp. I haven't done any hammock camping yet but am planning on getting started ASAP!

happy hammocking to ya:cool: neo

skymom
05-04-2006, 22:28
Thanks!
Have you heard any feedback on the ENO's?

neo
05-04-2006, 22:46
Thanks!

sorry.i wish i could help.i know only about hennessey hammocks:cool: neo

2Ply
05-05-2006, 00:01
I have the single nest and really like it. I got the double by mistake and didn't care for the extra foot and a half of fabric that came up on the sides when I laid down. Swapped it out for the single and have been happy with it. I use the slap strap hangers and it's very easy to put up and adjust. I would have liked the extra length of the pro system but they didn't carry them. The bug net is great! You can use it with a variety of hammocks and can hang it under a tarp or use hiking poles for support if sleeping on the ground. :( I have several tarps so I didn't get theirs but it looks to be on the small size so blowing rain could be a problem.

neo
05-05-2006, 08:12
Thanks!

THE ONLY INFO I CAN OFFER IS A BETTER BIGGER TARP
this is what i use:cool: neo

i use the 9x9 size it is over 12x12 corner to corner http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

pics of my hammock and tarp set up

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10579&c=577

excellent tarp for less than 30 bucks,excellent construction also

tyro
05-05-2006, 18:31
I've never used the hammock, but I've been eyeing it for a bit.

One thing I'm wondering about is the weight. It's listed on the website as 18 oz, but that seems to include two fairly heavy-duty carabiners. Do you have any idea how much the hammock weighs w/out the carabiners?

LuTotten
05-05-2006, 19:39
I have an ENO double nest, got it in an attempt to share with the fiance (big mistake) no way 2 people can share a hammock. I have been using it solo since then and have been quite happy with it. I like the extra fabric on the sides keeps it dark so you can sleep in. Tyro, as far as the carabiners you can take a good 4oz off it by replacing them.

skymom
05-05-2006, 21:17
I'm going to try and check it out this weekend. I would have gone with the single but we like to take our little girl with us. So I'm planning on the two of us using this one and my husband can use a single. We've all been tent campers but will give this a try!!

erichlf
05-06-2006, 00:14
I used an HH ULBA with 2 people and a dog. The dog made it a bit uncofortable, but my wife and I together was fine.

skymom
05-07-2006, 21:21
Well, we had our first night out in our hammocks last night. Worked out pretty good. My daughter, who is 2 1/2 slept with me in the double. My husband slept in a single. Very comfortable. It took a little while to get used to set up and trying to get comfortable with two of us. The tarp does seem a little small. I can see that if I'm in a big storm with wind blowing, it could potentially be a problem. But for starters, we did pretty good for our first night.

:clap

BTW, the dog slept under the tarp.

DLFrost
05-08-2006, 00:58
I got the double nest hammock and Dry Fly rain tarp. I haven't done any hammock camping yet but am planning on getting started ASAP!

Hang the Double a little "loosely" and you can sleep off-axis (feet/legs off to one side, head/shoulders to the other) and lie flatter. The fabric can hang rather loose and flappy though. You might consider adding bungie side tieouts like the Hennesseys have to hold the hammock open.

Doug Frost

peter_pan
05-08-2006, 09:30
Well, we had our first night out in our hammocks last night. Worked out pretty good. My daughter, who is 2 1/2 slept with me in the double. My husband slept in a single. Very comfortable. It took a little while to get used to set up and trying to get comfortable with two of us. The tarp does seem a little small. I can see that if I'm in a big storm with wind blowing, it could potentially be a problem. But for starters, we did pretty good for our first night.

:clap

BTW, the dog slept under the tarp.

Wecome to the Hanging Crowd!

Pan

Hana_Hanger
05-08-2006, 16:34
Congrats!
I love the part about the dog slept under the tarp!

I found that when sharing with my granddaughter (now 6...so she has her own hammock) but when she was little...we slept opposite ends of each other and it worked out better for us :)

Glad to hear it turned out to be a good experience for you and your family.
Welcome to Comfort Camping!!

skymom
05-08-2006, 21:06
Frost: thanks for the info on sleeping diagonally. We'll try that next time. It's a little hard when you've got an extra 30 lbs of weight to maneuver around with you.

Hana: The opposite ends sounds like something to try too. We'll probably get or make a smaller one of her own that I can set up side by side with mine. I wasn't sure how she would do but she loved it! I put her picture up on the site last night. Glad to hear about other's taking their kids/grandkids out camping and hiking. I haven't seen much of that on this site. We've had her out camping and hiking since she was a few months old!

:p

grrickar
05-13-2006, 15:46
Just bought a single nest myself, now I am eyeing that MacCat tarp. I could see myself sleeping in a hammock with that tarp. My biggest fear is getting my down bag wet...

Dan Wilson
01-13-2007, 14:03
I have been sleeping in my ENO double for over a year with the Slap Strap Pro and just love it! they have a nice web site up at www.eaglesnestoutfit.com (http://www.eaglesnestoutfit.com)

happy hammocking...

Curt
01-14-2007, 20:53
I am reading all your comments on the Eno hammock. It seems to me that everone likes it. My concern is the weight--almost 3 pounds for hammock, straps and bug net. If you add a tarp then you have to carry more than 4 pounds on your back. What is the advantage of the Eno hammock when you can use a lighter one, the HH backpacker for example? Just a thought. Any comment?

Take care and God bless,
Corsican

chezrad
01-14-2007, 22:15
I have an ENO double and have since made my own. You can get lighter ones but I think for the price it's a good way to get introduced to the idea. The hammock weighs about 1.5 lbs. For the straps you can make your own lighter versions. A standard MacCat weighs less than 1 lbs. You could probably have a pretty nice setup for around 3 lbs or so.

For me the largest advantage was that the ENO had a weight capacity of 400 lbs. It can take a lot of "bouncing around" while I'm trying to figure things out and not put me on my rear end! To get close to this in a Hennessy your in the 3 to 4 lbs range for a good bit more money. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth. Granted, I don't have much experience with hammocks yet and maybe there are others out there that are the hammocking holy grail! I just haven't found it yet. Cheers.

Hana_Hanger
01-15-2007, 00:10
I agree the largest advantage is the weight capacity at 400 lbs...but to say it would cost more than an Hennessy well is just not correct.

$189 Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with bug netting and tarp~
weight 3 lbs 4 oz
weight capacity 300 lbs and Bottom entry

$199 ENO Single set up with bug netting and tarp~
weight 4 lbs 4 oz
weight capacity 400 lbs and top entry

I have the ENO single hammock only and do find it very comfortable.
I just do like like the bug netting it hangs so far down to the ground and though I personally have not used one yet...how do you keep it dry in a rain storm?

hammock engineer
01-15-2007, 00:38
I haven't tried the ENO (I haven't met a hammock I didn't want to try at least one). But the weight is hard to get over.

My homemade setup:
hammock body- 12 oz (I am going to trim the length a little)
straps- 8 oz (I like them long. They are 20' on each side)
McCat Deluxe- 13.8oz (per OES website)
guylines/tarp tensioners- 5 oz (not sure be this seams about right)

Total weight- 38.8 oz or 2 lbs 6.8 oz.

DIY bugnet is about 8 oz. So that takes it to 2lbs 14.8 oz. I could shave 8-10 oz off. But I like it the way it is.

It holds my 225+ lbs self swinging and jumping around just fine.

highway
01-15-2007, 09:10
I have looked at the ENOS and thought it heavy to carry as a complete package with tarp, netting, straps but would be an ideal setup for car camping. What advantage does it give for the extra weight?

The Hennessey I have had for 3 years:
Hammock, HH, Ultra-light A-sym w/heavy lines (2.18) is just 34.0 ounces. It has the standard tarp that came with it which I find is sufficient, but has to be tied low in blowing rain. At less than 3 ounces more than 2 pounds, though. it is much lighter on the body for carrying.

So, is the extra weight of the larger tarp for the Hennessey (and ENOS, for that matter) really that necessary to some, given the additional weight penalty?

Can two people really sleep in a 400 pound rated ENOS tarp? Sleep well, anyway, like all night, something beyond a short siesta?

peanuts
01-18-2007, 00:55
The single ENo with the caribiners it comes with its just at a pound. I returned the ENO tarp and bug netting due to the weight. One night with blinding, blowing, hard rain , not good.... I switch to a silnylon tarp (10oz) made my own bug netting (nano-seeum) ...happy hammocking..

Johnny Swank
01-18-2007, 09:25
I'm going to weigh the biners on my ENO. Those suckers are heavy - I'm guessing 4-5 ounces heavy. Replace those with something else and I bet the equation changes a bit.

highway
01-18-2007, 09:34
Carabiner, gated, alum, trango, red gate; 24 Kn 0.07
Carabiner, blk diamond, alum; 25 Kn, positron straight 0.09
Carabiner, camp nano wire gold anodized, 2 ea. 22 Kn 0.06
Carabiner, blk diamond Neutrino; 1 ea 0.08

My lightest are the above. Multiply the weight at end, in pounds, which is what I tend to carry, by 16if you would prefer ounces. My lightest, wire gated Camp Nano at 0.06 pounds weighs 0.96 ounces. This one has wide enough opening fro straps, too;)