PDA

View Full Version : Stansport pack??

GaryNH
05-05-2006, 08:49
Saw this ad:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=245536

Overstock or discontinued model I would guess. Any experience with Stansport? I'm in the market for a new pack.

Thanks, Gary

Freighttrain
05-05-2006, 09:26
Saw this ad:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=245536

Overstock or discontinued model I would guess. Any experience with Stansport? I'm in the market for a new pack.

Thanks, Gary

its crap... your not gonna get a quality pack for $30 new.. not even an OK pack. your not even gonna find a used, beat to hell quality pack for $30...

you get what you pay for... and you pack and boots are the last things to skimp on...

if you choose wrong then you will be stuck buying a replacement new pack on the trail and if that happens you better be carrying some K-Y jelly.

find a gear store and go try on packs, then load em up n see how they carry the weight.... and or borrow or rent a couple and if possible and take em on a weekender trip

you might find a deal on a quality used pack.

Freighttrain
05-05-2006, 09:31
also, while sportsmans guide "might" have some ok prices on Ammo and some assorted hunting stuff.... they sell lots of CHEAP RUSSIAN CRAP...

IMHO they would be the last place on earth that i would buy hiking-camping gear from....

RadioFreq
05-05-2006, 09:39
6 lbs 4oz? OUCH! :eek:

GaryNH
05-05-2006, 10:06
Thanks! Kinda what I was thinking. I see that Stansport sells a whole line of camping and hiking equipment but didn't know anything about their quality.

Gary

Alligator
05-05-2006, 10:40
Gary-If you have some idea as to the size of the pack that you need and the range of $s you wish to spend, I'm sure folks here could give you some good suggestions.

TheSassafrasKid
06-22-2008, 11:32
I did the first 1000 miles from GA to Harper's this spring using a Stansport pack that I've had for years. The thing has worn like a beast: no problems at all, save for a bit of fraying on the hip belt. Just because something's cheap doesn't always mean it's bad.

Feral Bill
06-22-2008, 13:44
A pack is not the place to go cheap. For good quality, less expensive packs consider an external frame from Campmor. Save money on cookware, clothing (think Goodwill, Costco, or army surplus), tarp instead of tent, closed cell foam sleeping pad, even a somewhat heavier but less expensive sleeping bag.

KG4FAM
06-22-2008, 21:14
I carried a stansport for years in boy scouts. It did the job fine for weekend trips, but the quality was not that great.