PDA

View Full Version : rainfly as a footprint?

beezner
05-05-2006, 10:52
I need a groundcloth for my tent (a North Face particle), and was thinking of the traditional stuff like Tyvek, etc, but then I realized that I have an old rainfly from my last tent that isn't getting used anymore (and can't get used anymore because I left the poles at a trailhead in Idaho). Do you think cutting this to size would act as a good footprint?

Footslogger
05-05-2006, 11:09
I need a groundcloth for my tent (a North Face particle), and was thinking of the traditional stuff like Tyvek, etc, but then I realized that I have an old rainfly from my last tent that isn't getting used anymore (and can't get used anymore because I left the poles at a trailhead in Idaho). Do you think cutting this to size would act as a good footprint?
================================
If it's still water tight ...why not ?? Only trade-off would be weight. Most of the conventional tent flies I know of are the polyurothane coated nylon taffeta type and would be heavier when compared to a sheet of Tyvek

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
05-06-2006, 13:00

There's enough debate over the need for one to begin with. They exist mostly to protect the tent floor from wear, sort of a cheaper sacrificial barrier. They won't waterproof a leaky tent floor. So cutting the rainfly down will work, maybe not as long as a custom groundcloth. BTW, I bet someone has a tent that needs exactly the same fly you are ready to cut down. Try trading it for what you need.

Twofiddy
05-15-2006, 22:05

Sounds like a great idea for a ground cloth to re-use your old stuff.

However, why do you need a ground cloth?? If your tent is waterproof in the floor already what purpose does the ground cloth serve??

The only purpose for a ground cloth is when you camp in 1 spot for a real long time it helps to keep your tent floor from getting a hole poked in it.

Otherwise, your first tent was out of style before you used it all up and your next tent will to. Leave the footprint at home, and pack less weight.