PDA

View Full Version : Great source for trail foods

veteran
03-01-2003, 11:16
Adventure Foods has quite a selection of
Packaged trail foods, a little pricey though.

Link:
http://www.adventurefoods.com

Sparky!
03-01-2003, 16:07
I was looking at a dehydrator today at wal-mart and I am trying to make up my mind if it is worth $40 to get one and the hassel of drying my own food. I should also put a disclaimer that I never dehydrated food before so I am not too sure how much of a hassel it is.

ganj
03-01-2003, 17:06
Hey Sparky,

Just to share my experience......I purchased a dehydrator with the intentions of doing a lot of the foods for my trip. I did a bad batch of jerky and never picked it up again. However my girlfriend at the time would make fruit rollups and dried fruit and send them to me on the trail. Some people love their dehydrator while others don't believe it is worth the trouble.

Peaks
03-01-2003, 18:29
My great source for most of my trail foods is the nearest grocery store. They always seem to stock the basics.

Sparky!
03-01-2003, 19:40
I was thinking the same thing, a great item but would I really use it.... I think I will start a thread on it. Although I would like to have a nice meal once and a while out there beside the basic rice and pasta, I am not sure if it is worth it and the time it takes.

Scamp
03-01-2003, 20:50
I found a few places that sell 'bulk' dehydrated
foods. The selection is amazing.
Try Waltonfeed.com,
bowmansbrigade.com (free shipping),
and usaemergency.com.

You can get #10 cans, which hold about
13 cups of dried corn, carrots, apple slices. They have TVP in many flavors, and
some have MREs, too. Powdered eggs, mmmm...
Not as pricey as individually packaged stuff.

Hey, we ziploc alot of stuff anyway.

Scamp

The bowmans and usaemergency sites
are survivalists, so be aware.

Sparky!
03-01-2003, 21:32
WOW... I just went to those sites... I never knew there were such places that sold that wide of a variety of food products. I have them book marked now!

Moose2001
03-01-2003, 21:42
Sparky.. I have to agree with Peaks. Here's a suggestion. Find "good" supermarket. Take some time and wonder up and down the aisles. You will be surprised at just how much stuff you can now find that works very well for hiking. It's just not limited ot rice and pasta. You can find great dried soups, potatos both mashed or boxed types that work well, dehydrated refried beans, tuna/ salamon/chicken in foil packs, instant stuffing, etc, etc, etc. It's really amazing what you can find these days. You can have a varied menu and still not have to go to the exotic sites or spend a ton of money on prepackaged "hiking" meals.

Moose2001
03-01-2003, 21:46
Sparky... scroll down in this forum. Find the post on What Works and What doesn't by The Weasel. Lots of good examples of things that work well on the trail and taste good also.

smokymtnsteve
03-01-2003, 21:51