PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Friendly?????

fishinfred
05-05-2006, 16:41
This is the start of a (hopefully) long term fundraiser for Trail Maintenance!
Every year the ALDHA Field Editors go to all the establishments along the trail (Ga to ME) and survey who wants to be in the AT DATA book .It costs nothing for businesses to be in the book but what I am proposing to the ATC is that this fall we offer a "HIKER FRIENDLY" status for a small donation .The businesses who donate will get this sticker and a notation in the Data book showing those that donate as "Hiker Friendly" places , as 60% of the donation will go to Trail Maintenance (the rest covers materials etc). Hopefully this will start in the fall with the ATC on board.It is in the review stage with them now .
For now in order to show them what the response "could" be with business establishments,I am offering these stickers to whoever would like to support the HARD CORE HIKER Maintainers (BOB PEOPLES) who work so hard after Trail Days (last year they had over 80 volunteers).I will donate all the proceeds to BOB for food ,equipment or whatever he needs on the Sunday of Trail Days weekend.
Since this will be pretty much all Hikers (if any) who support this right now I am making the price as reasonable as possible $5 with 60% going to Hard Core.Thats about the best I can do without giving away money that I don't have .
This is just a test run for NOW until TDs to see how it flys and hopefully show the ATC that they should get on board with this deal in the fall.
I will have them at Trail Days in my set up across the street from MRO in town and for those unable to attend that would like to support this just send me an email,I will be here for another week before I head south .
I'm hoping that I have your support in this as I think it is a great way to show support for the Maintainers out there who do so much for nothing but sweat!
So what do you think???? Do you support this idea ?
As far as I'm concerned this would benefit Hikers,the Maintainers,and the Hiker Friendly Establishments (this would show that they do more than put out a sign saying "Welcome Hikers")
Thanks for taking the time to read this !
Fishinfred

fishinfred
05-05-2006, 16:46
http://fredor111.tripod.com/50e4ffb0.jpg

Lilred
05-05-2006, 16:55
Fishinfred,
Are the stickers made to put up in a window? I wouldn't mind having one on my van, but I don't do bumper stickers.

fishinfred
05-05-2006, 17:00
Fishinfred,
Are the stickers made to put up in a window? I wouldn't mind having one on my van, but I don't do bumper stickers.

Yes , it is window sticker (White Vinyl) but can be applied to any smooth surface .
Thanks!
FF

Sly
05-05-2006, 17:11
I'm one of the ALDHA field editors and I haven't heard of the proposal yet, but it sounds like a great idea. I'll approach everyone that's listed in Tanyard Gap to Erwin section regardless if you're going to donate money to Bob. I don't think I get called on it, if ALDHA and the ATC don't go along.

In the meantime, I'll take a couple for myself.

Mountain Maiden
05-05-2006, 17:42
Yes , it is window sticker (White Vinyl) but can be applied to any smooth surface .
Thanks!
FF
Fishin' Fred--You come up with such great ideas! I will certainly visit your set up to make purchases.

Not only is the benefit to Trail maintenance wonderful but, this is a great "thank you " gift to give people who do hiker favors. So often, like for hitches, they won't take money. And, they are lightweight and easy fro hikers to carry and give, accordingly.

Thanks Fred!

See you at TD,

Sunrise

TJ aka Teej
05-05-2006, 19:05
So, unless they don't pony up a donation, we don't list them as being "hiker friendly"?
No way on earth I'd ever propose such nonsense to any of the service providers in my section.

max patch
05-05-2006, 19:13
So, unless they don't pony up a donation, we don't list them as being "hiker friendly"?
No way on earth I'd ever propose such nonsense to any of the service providers in my section.

I agree with TJ.

Think about The Place. The Methodist Church makes The Place available for hikers and bikers. They pay the utilities. They pay the water. They ask for a donation, but if someone can't (or doesn't) contribute they still get full run of the house. And to say that The Place is not "Hiker Friendly" unless they dig even deeper into their pockets for a contribution is ridiculous.

The objective is good but the details stink.

Mountain Maiden
05-05-2006, 19:51
I agree with TJ.

Think about The Place. The Methodist Church makes The Place available for hikers and bikers. They pay the utilities. They pay the water. They ask for a donation, but if someone can't (or doesn't) contribute they still get full run of the house. And to say that The Place is not "Hiker Friendly" unless they dig even deeper into their pockets for a contribution is ridiculous.

The objective is good but the details stink.

Hmmm-- I may have missed something but I thought this was to be used like something you'd put on your car, house, etc. to say to hikers, "Hiker Friendly" like a "welcome" sign. That was why I'd consider it a compliment to someone to give them a sticker (that I had paid for) to reinforce their good deed. And, the money I paid (generous 60%) would go back to the Trail.

Yes? No?

fishinfred
05-05-2006, 21:53
There are some bugs to be worked out yet ,I KNOW :-? and so does the ATC that is why they are reviewing the idea .There will be places that are not even in the data book that will want to have the sticker in their window ,there will be places that want the sticker that really are just out for the hikers $$ and are not really friendly to hikers at all and so on ........
Most ,not all , but most of the establishments who choose to be in the book are already "Hiker Friendly" or else they would not want to be in the book(which by the way brings alot of business and $$ to them) and its free for them . This sticker would just show that they support the Trail Maintenance
Fund which IMO makes them HIKER FRIENDLY.
ANY establishment along the Trail (who offers some kind of sevice for hikers) can get in the book for free but this would be a way for the ones who really are Hiker Friendly and want to support the Trail to show they do (and be recognized for doing it) and for the most part I don't think the amount of the donation is going to "hurt" any of their pocket books in fact it will most likely bring them more business.

Perhaps the notation in the book isn't the way to go .....maybe just a once a year posting on the website THANKING and naming those who made the donation ........."nothing is written in stone" yet, except for what I am doing NOW THRU TRAIL DAYS for BOB and Hard Core so feel free to share any ideas that's why I made the post here ....to get some input from you all.

I have until fall to get the bugs out but for now these STICKERS are for anyone who wants to support BOB PEOPLES AND the HARD CORE MAINTENANCE CREWS outing this year after TDs.
Thanks for ALL the comments !
Fishinfred

fishinfred
05-05-2006, 22:15
TO HELP:

1 . RAISE MONEY FOR THE TRAIL MAINTAINERS

2. Get establishments (who make money from the trail) to give a little back to the trail .

3. Help hikers find the "Hiker Friendly" places along their journey

Thats what its ALL about
FF

TJ aka Teej
05-05-2006, 22:58
Perhaps the notation in the book isn't the way to go
Perhaps not. You keep saying 'data book' but you mean the Companion, right? Did you know that we field editors have to keep our listings neutral? We're not supposed to show a preference, even if we have a strong opinion on the matter. As far as checking with the ATC - it's ALDHA that writes the Companion, the ATC doesn't control content. Tagging certain places as 'hiker friendly' because they make a donation doesn't seem compatible with current editorial policy, and I'm certain I wouldn't want it to be.
hope this helps,

edit: Sorry if this seemed "rude" or "hostile" Fred! :D

Skyline
05-06-2006, 00:28
Great intentions, but if you are going to invoke ALDHA or ATC in this you should have their unquestioned cooperation, with all the t's crossed and i's dotted, before going any further with it.

There is probably another way to accomplish your goal, let's all think about it. I'm thinking hitting up trail angels and businesses who deal with hikers for a donation to get "approved" as "hiker friendly" is a little like a shakedown. I'm sure that's not your intent but I bet some would view it that way. Let's think of a better way to raise $$$ for trail maintenance.

Frosty
05-06-2006, 00:54
I agree with TJ.Oh, my God. So do I. Sort of. Guess it had to happen sometime! :D

But at least I can disagree with the way he put it. No need to be so rude about it, to a guy who has done so much Trail Magic.

Anyway, I think it is a good idea if it is tweaked just a little. A place is hiker friendly or it isn't. No need to donate to be listed as hiker friendly. However, hiker friendly stickers cost five bucks. They are sold only to places designated as hiker friendly, and only if they want.

Hikers should not get HIKER FRIENDLY patches or stickers. That is for businesses. But hikers can buy FRIENDLY HIKER patches. Anyone can buy them. Even TJ :D

Peaks
05-06-2006, 07:22
I've got mixed feelings about the proposal. If ALDHA has their brain in gear, then they will also have mixed feelings.

fishinfred
05-06-2006, 07:28
OK I'd like to clear up one thing at a time here and 1st lets all forget about the long term deal with business establishments (UNTIL FALL) .These stickers for now ,are for anyone who would like one,and the donation goes to Hard Core.
2nd
The deal with establishments along the trail and just how to do it is being reviewed and it may never happen ....who knows.So lets not be confused with what the deal IS NOW and what I am proposing for the long haul....OK?
HELP BOB AND HARD CORE for NOW......this is the mission until after Trail Days and will end SUNDAY OF TRAIL DAYS.
3rd
Nobodys trying to tag anyone it is just a way that may help hikers recognized "Hiker Friendly"places....by seeing one of the stickers in a business's window one could see "these guys donate for Trail MAintenance"
therefor they must be "Hiker Friendly".
As far as "the PLACE" and other KNOWN "Hiker Friendly" places.I am sure there would be some hiker who would donate one to them if "they" couldnt afford to make the small donation .Don't ya think? Mountain Maiden has demonstrated this right here on this thread,so I wouldnt worry too much about that TJ.
Anyways FOR NOW ANYONE CAN PURCHASE AND PUT THE STICKER WHEREVER YOU LIKE and the donations will go to HARD CORE .:banana
Thanks
Fishinfred

Just Jeff
05-06-2006, 10:39
Complimenting someone isn't necessarily insulting everyone else. Calling a business "hiker friendly" isn't saying that every business without a sticker is, by definition, unfriendly to hikers. It doesn't say anything at all about them, actually.

IMHO, the stickers should say "Hiker Friendly" and go to anyone who buys a sticker...because no matter what their motivations, they've donated to the cause.

If you want to recognize different levels of commitment, you could put a line at the bottom of some "Hiker Friendly" stickers saying, "Gold Level Donation 2007" or something explaining exactly what the sticker is for. Without a public info campaign, most hikers won't even know the stickers benefitted them or the trail in any way, so "Trail Maintenance Donation 2007" might help. Adding the year would encourage repeat donations more than one-time sticker-buying just to drive in hiker business.

As has been pointed out, this may start to feel like a shakedown for some businesses...in this case, the difference between a fundraiser and a shakedown is in the sales pitch. But I don't think anyone is truly going to be offended because they refuse to buy a "Hiker Friendly" sticker.

It does seem that the Companion should stay neutral, though. If you're going to annotate in there who donated to the trail, "Hiker Friendly" is certainly the wrong words to use. Perhaps just an asterisk next to the businesses who have donated any money to any ATC organization, with a short explanation, instead of applying a label that can be misconstrued. This is an objective standard that can be measured (with receipts, tax write-offs, etc), whereas you can't really measure or prove "Hiker Friendly" and why some businesses get it and others don't.

JMH-not-yet-a-thruhiker-O

Jack Tarlin
05-06-2006, 10:55
I think Jeff's post makes a great deal of sense.

If money from the stickers is going to a good cause, then I think this is a good idea, and while I first admit to having had servations about anyone being able to purchase a "Hiker Friendly!" sticker and hanging it in their window, Trail Word-of-Mouth is pretty accurate when it comes to facilities and businesses......places that aren't Hiker Friendly, or those that merely pretend to be, are found out pretty quick.

Frosty
05-06-2006, 11:11
Anyways FOR NOW ANYONE CAN PURCHASE AND PUT THE STICKER WHEREVER YOU LIKE and the donations will go to HARD CORE .:banana
Thanks
FishinfredSounds good, FishinFred. How do I buy one?

fishinfred
05-06-2006, 11:47
Sounds good, FishinFred. How do I buy one?
Stop in at Trail Days or........
For the next week I will take orders by email ,just let me know how many and where you would like me to send them for you .I'll email you payment options (paypal or check) with address etc. I will be headed to Damascus on monday so if you can't make Trail Days let me know this week because this deal will end on SUNDAY so I can give BOB the donations.
Feel free to post or email me your ideas and thoughts on any ways that you think will help this "long term" plan fly this fall .
I WILL GET THE BUGS OUT BEFORE FALL I hope ,with your help .
Thanks again and I'll see ya all at TDs!:banana

Fishinfred

Sly
05-06-2006, 19:52
Wow lots of hostility towards a good idea with good intentions.

As I said before even if ALDHA or the ATC can't work the bugs out and/or doesn't approve, I'll have no problem asking for such a small donation for the sticker. I'll just wait until all official business is concluded and ask if they'd like to buy a sticker. As it is now, most listed in the Companion are already hiker friendly and surprised when it cost them nothing to be included.

A note for Fred, some people are probably working on next years edition of the Companion now as all updates are supposed to be in by the end of August.