PDA

View Full Version : Large Girth Sleeping Bags

Saluki Dave
05-06-2006, 09:14
Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a new bag. I'm currently using a 15 deg Sierra Designs Sandman long (the kind with the funky spandex stretch system). I'm looking for something lighter (<3 lb, but the lighter the better; 2 lb would be great) with larger than normal girth (66 or >). I'd especially appreciate recommedations from XXL users

Dave

sliderule
05-06-2006, 10:38
Western Mounaineering Badger.

bigben
05-06-2006, 10:58
I couldn't be happier with my new Golite Doze 20 degree, size wide/long. I'm 6'3", 275lbs and wear a 54" coat. I searched long and hard for a bag that fit, and there's really not much that's well suited for backpacking. Tis bag is down, 600 fill, with a 72" shoulder girth, fits to 6'6", weighs 3lbs 3 oz, hood, draft collar, DWR treated ripstop nylon taffeta shell, packs small is so far, my dream bag. Sure, I could spend 5 bills and have Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends custom make a bag for me that would be a lot better, but for under $200, I can't see anything being better for me than this Golite. My only gripe is the left side 1/2 zipper. I'd prefer a right side full zipper. This bag could be a little too warm in the summer because you can't just unzip it and use it as a quilt. I'm very happy with it otherwise. Hope this helps.

Bigben

Jack Tarlin
05-06-2006, 14:26
Dave--

I ran your question past my friend Wayne Crosby, the co-owner of Bluff Mtn. Outfitter's in Hot Springs.

He suggested you have a look at the Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Super, which is a wide bag; if you need more room, he suggested you check out the Mountain Hardwear Down Bag Expander (which can be used with NON Mountain Hardwear bags; this can add up to 8" of width to your sleeping bag).

For more information, see www.westernmountaineering.com or www.mountainhardwear.com

rusty075
05-06-2006, 19:02
Take a look at the Montbell "Super Stretch" series. I'm a fairly girthy guy, and I've fallen just about as in love with my UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #4 as anyone should be with a sleeping bag. The #4 long is 23oz, and while it's only rated to a 37° "comfort temp" I slept just fine through the snows in northern georgia in March this year. (I'm a warm sleeper, ymmv)

It's got a girth of 75.6" at the shoulders, and 63" at the knees...enough room for me to sit cross-legged in it.

Toolshed
05-07-2006, 07:46
Dave, I have been going through the same issues recently.
After some inactivity due to heart surgery, I put oin a few pounds and felt cramped in my older 62" girth down bags.

I looked hi and lo and talked to a lot of retailers and manufacturers. I also brought a couple of my bags over to Campmor (I live about 1:15 Hrs away)
and tried their bag expanders.

This is what I found out:
If you are looking to expand the size of a current Bag, Get a magnifying glass and look at the side of the zipper heel (or zipper boot) which is the small long narrow metal piece at the end of the zipper that gets inserted first when zipping something up. On the side is the Zipper number (YKK is used extensivel in most better gear). Back around '99-2000 YKK 8C became the standard for sleeping bag manufacturers. However, problems exist.
EMS uses an 8C zipper, but it is opposite of TNF or MH Expamder panels, meaning, the only way the panels will fit is if they are inside out, with thre draft tube on the outside.
Unfortunately most of my bags are EMS Down bags, so expander panels wouldn;t work (My winter bags are all cut with 68" girth, so I am OK)

Armed with this knowledge, I decided to go ahead and replace my 20d 3-season EMS bags.

The only down bags I found that I really liked were
1. 20d Feathered Friends Swift Customized bag (including 800 fill down and customized to 6 inches wider About 3 Lbs. ~$400-$425
2. 20d Marmot Sawtooth X-Wide 70" Girth 3lbs 7 oz at Campmor for $189.
3. 35d Big Agnes Horse thief 70.5" Girth for online for $199.

Since I already have summer modified 45d down bags, I decided to stick with a good 20 degree bag.

I ended up with the Marmot and have only used it once, but I really like it. The stitching is good, the overall constructions is fine and the materials are top quality. For spring & fall, I can live with carrying the extra 1/2 pound that is a pitfall with having a big bag. (my older 20d bags were just under 3 lbs)

Snow Stomp
05-07-2006, 22:08
Western Mounaineering Badger.

You may as well get the WM Kodiak, which has the same 66/41 dimensions and is the same weight (2 lb. 12 oz.), but is a 0 degree microfiber bag, whereas the Badger has the heavier Dryloft shell. You don't need Dryloft.

I have the Kodiak and it is plenty roomy. Enough room to put your boots and some clothing in, so they're not frozen when you wake up.

Saluki Dave
05-07-2006, 23:01
Thanks all for the input. Ben and I are about the same size. What I seem to be hearing is bigger bags can be had, but bigger AND lighter is a stretch (no pun intended). I'll look at these and repost if anything looks good.

Best to all

Dave

Tinker
05-07-2006, 23:12
If you're looking at big and light bags, you're going to have to face the fact that bigger requires more material, so lighter is going to have to come from design. Top bags are the way to go for a wide, light bag. Big Agnes is probably the most reasonably priced of this design. Backpacking Light has an article on top bags and quilts vs. traditional mummy designs this month. A membership is required to read this article, but the website is so full of information for the hiker wishing to travel lighter, that the subscription is well worth the price. Btw, Backpacking Light seems to favor quilts over top bags for side sleepers.

camper10469
05-08-2006, 21:14
OK big guy, this is the one fur ya, Campmor down semi rectangular long in either a 20° (2.5lbs) or zero bag (3lbs). The shoulder is 34" and nothing in it's weight class comes close to this. Because it's a long, you have enough bag left over to form a hood. Best of all it's not expensive.