PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Buddy

Calico
05-06-2006, 20:28
Hi! I have finally decided to hike the AT. I will be going nobo and leaving around march 2007. As everyone has said, I will meet people along the way, but I would personally feel a little safer with a buddy. Just wondering what hikers were leaving around this time and wanting someone to go with.

momalley
05-07-2006, 02:25
A lot of people have posted when they are starting in the Dates thread. You may want to look in there for when people are starting. I will be starting around March 3rd.

Good Luck

ridefast
05-09-2006, 23:48
im plannin on a mid march 2007 NOBO

:sun

Moon Cricket
05-23-2006, 04:26
I will be leaving around the first of March. I am not sure if a want a partner but would be happy to hike a week or so with you, or at least till you get of your feet. This will be my first time as well, so I am no expert but none the less look forward to seeing you out there.

Moon Cricket

Jaybird
05-23-2006, 06:15
Hi! I have finally decided to hike the AT. I will be going nobo and leaving around march 2007. As everyone has said, I will meet people along the way, but I would personally feel a little safer with a buddy. Just wondering what hikers were leaving around this time and wanting someone to go with.

Yo Calico!

i found my hiking partner, "Jigsaw" here on WhiteBlaze.net..after my first year (i'm a section-hiker) partner: "TeePee" dropped out on me in year 2.

another suggestion: why not contact your local hike club?
maybe theres someone else locally thats lookin to hike the A.T.!

Good Luck with yer hike!:D

Calico
05-25-2006, 16:31
Thanks for the tips guys, i hadn't thought about a hiking club, good idea!

mindi
05-25-2006, 17:37
:banana I'd be happy to join you and Cricket for the first week or so. I'm also not looking for a long-term partner but it might be nice while we get our bearings out on the trail. Hopefully when the day gets closer we can all figure out who is leaving when and at least start out with some fellow boardmembers.

onicoe
05-26-2006, 13:38
i'm starting off early to mid march 07, don't have a hiking buddy yet either. it would be nice to have someone to at least start off with, like mindi says.

Chtaffy
05-26-2006, 21:36
I am starting on the March 1st (depending on the weather). Being a rookie, I am also hoping to hike with some others for the first few weeks.

Butch Cassidy
05-28-2006, 15:55
The rookie thing passes pretty fast. After a few days you all will be experts. I made changes in gear and hiking style all the way to Maine and expect to learn more in 07. I am going with a partner next year but went solo in 05 and made great friends and look forward to many more next year. The one thing? The people make the AT an adventure. See Ya up trail. Butch :cool:
Butch and Sundance, The wild bunch!

general
05-29-2006, 11:22
hiking partners are liabilities. fun leeches. they suck all the fun out and leave you with irritation and redness.

mindi
05-29-2006, 23:46
I'll be leaving March 10th..if any of you want to leave the same day, keep me posted on here and we'll work out logistics when the time comes to meet at the trailhead and head out together. I'm almost certain that I'm going to be a 'solo' hiker most of the time, but sharing the excitement of those first few days with some other newbies is too good to pass up. (Plus if I do something really stupid, I won't feel quite so silly.) Perhaps having some buddies in the beginning will earn me a trail name, too.:banana
:) Mindi

tevaitzi
06-03-2006, 22:44
I'm also heading out in early March. Looking to hike solo, but am excited to know that there will be people out there at the same time.:welcome

Smile
06-03-2006, 22:53
hiking partners are liabilities. fun leeches. they suck all the fun out and leave you with irritation and redness.

I'll have to politely disagree. I've hiked with several partners and found that I have learned much from them, as well as others that have tagged along for a week or two! Two sets of eyes are terrific sometimes - I know I would've missed a few things, and vice versa with my partner if I had been alone!

It's often a confidence builder for first timers as well, till they get on their feet. Fast friendships have been made a few miles into the hike that have lasted to the Big K and for years beyond.

If you want a hiking partner, and find someone that wants one as well, I suggest phone calls to get to know them and feel out personalities before you start!

Grampie
06-04-2006, 12:07
Don't be too concerned with finding someone to start your hike with. Just go to Springer and start walking. You will soon meet a lot of other folks who are doing the same. After a few days you will be able to figure out who you want to spend more time with and who you can't stand to be with. The ones you start spending the time with will become your "hiking buddys".
I saw goodfriends, that started together and split after a short while. I saw a couple of father and son teams part way. Even boy friend and girl friends split up because of hiking problems. Don't be too conserned with finding a "hiking buddy". A thru-hike is quite an indivigual thing. That's were the saying; "Hike your own hike." comes from.
I met a guy my first night out and hiked over 800 miles with him. He had to leave the trail, but we remain good friends today.:)

doobe01
06-10-2006, 18:58
Hey everyone, I am starting out March 9th 2007 NOBO solo. Like everyone else has said it would be good to start out with some company. PM me if you would like to hook up at the trailhead on the 9th, if not, I hope to see ya'll on the trail.

GAME '07...271 Days and counting!

onicoe
06-11-2006, 21:13
is it really only 271 days till march? doesn't seem like enough time. i was talking with my brother today about how it was june and the year was already half over.

frieden
06-12-2006, 21:36
I was just thinking the same thing! Half the year is gone! <sigh> I haven't been on here in ages, but Ed and I are still planning for March '07. We're moving out to CA in a few months, but there are plenty of hills out there, and I'm going to use my grandbaby for training. :eek: Hey, I've got to hike with some weight, you know! Lol. I've been without a bed for months, and have gotten really fast at setting up and putting away my sleeping gear. My diet has even been trail compatible - oatmeal, soup, instant coffee, whatever I can find..... Other than lightweight clothing and gear, we're ready! Ed's so bored living in suburbia, he'd probably worship me if I took him out on the trail again.

Ooohhh, just lost power (a hurricane-wannabe is coming through here). I'd best post, and go bye bye. I'll try to hop on here more, and get to know the Class of '07!

Frieden & Ed

Turbo Joe
06-14-2006, 12:49
a partner is definitley a good idea and like every one else has said to you, you will meet people out there to hike with if you don't have a buddy by the time you start march 1st 15th and april 1st will see the most traffic on springer good luck

Grizz
08-08-2006, 11:44
Hey gang , planning a mid March 16th NOBO looking for anyone wanting to partner up for conversation and trail learning..its better together...don't neccesarily have to stay tethered..lol but would be great to start with someone 'till we get properly educated by the trails infinate wisdoms...
I am a novice and am looking for maybe 10-15/day to start, these 'ol bones need to work up to a comfy pace..lol Interested...get in touch so we can chat a bit before we go, get to know each other sort o speak..At least see if we have a common interest in addition to the mission and goal at hand.

tomman
08-09-2006, 02:47
I plan to start my North bound hike on the 10 of March. I would enjoy have a partner at least at the start until I get broken in to the trail. I will be starting fairly slowly at the start so there may not be many people that wish to start with 7 or 8 miles days. I will be 71 years old at the start so the slow start. I have been working our with weights 2 days a week and take Karate 2 days a week. That gives me 4 days a week workouts. I also to a lot of walking when it is not to hot here in the Dallas area. I have also found some good areas to hike with some altitude changes this fall when the heat lets up.

If anyone wishes to start about the time I do and wishes to start slow let me know.

Cherokee Tom
[email protected]

WhoAh
08-09-2006, 23:27
I'm planning on a mid-March kickoff - like maybe the 17th - but if I get ansy enough might head out earlier. Gear is just about together, got my boots over the weekend, need to seam-seal the tent, test out a couple of more freezer-bag meals - little things.

And one of these days I guess I need to give my boss the news I'm flying the coop....

hikernutt
10-16-2006, 21:52
Hi, this hikernutt (gaunemployed), I will be leaving around the 15 of March 2007. Hikernutt (gaunemployed)

laniamore
10-17-2006, 01:55
hey,

i'm going nobo, around march 18th, i'm going solo too and have been worried about safety with not having anyone. i'm planning on thru-hiking with no specific end date. let me know if i can tag along!

-batgirl

Paul Bunyan
10-21-2006, 19:50
Hey Yall'

Me, blissful, skipper will be starting march 1'st. Everyone look out!!!

lauraborealis
12-03-2006, 18:35
Hey guys, I am looking for a partner too. I am hoping to start March 1st and will be bringing my dog. Have you found a buddy yet?

Butch Cassidy
12-03-2006, 19:50
Hi Laura, There will be at least 30 hikers leaving Springer on the March 1st and at least 28 of them will be nice people. A lot of real hikers don't even visit the computer sites but will be out in force. The Sundance Kid and I will be just ahead of you , so wave as you go by us. Welcome and see Ya uptrail. Butch:cool:

deadair
12-04-2006, 12:13
hey everyone, im heading out in mid march if anyone wants to hook up and do some hiking together let me know! :banana

Blissful
12-04-2006, 13:08
Hi Laura, There will be at least 30 hikers leaving Springer on the March 1st and at least 28 of them will be nice people. A lot of real hikers don't even visit the computer sites but will be out in force. The Sundance Kid and I will be just ahead of you , so wave as you go by us. Welcome and see Ya uptrail. Butch:cool:

30? Like who? Raise your paw if you are starting MARCH 1ST

And will any of you be at the hiker hostel the night of Feb 28th? We are.

(Blissful, SKipper and Paul Bunyan)

maxNcathy
12-04-2006, 13:28
Hi Calico.

I plan to be on Springer Mt Mar 19th about 11 AM. If you are there I will welcome you and hike with you until you leave me far behind as I am an old geezer. lol

I am sure we will all meet cool friends along the way to visit with and watch out for each other as we face the wet and cold and other trying circumstances.

maxNcathy
12-04-2006, 13:32
PS

My trail name is Sandalwood...unless I do something stupid and get pegged with another handle.

Mother Nature
12-04-2006, 14:01
My husband, Smokestack will be starting his solo thru on March 17. I will be hiking Springer to Winding Stair Gap, NC (Franklin) with him hoping to hit April Fools Bash in Franklin at the Budget Inn and Sapphire Inn with Tiamalle on April 1st weekend.

Look forward to meeting any Whiteblazers on the way. There was some discussion about identifying WB's so in jest I plan to have a white box on my pack.

Mother Nature

dsg
12-04-2006, 14:10
i'm leaving mach 7th

dsg
12-04-2006, 14:11
i'm leaving the 7th also, see you on springer

WhoAh
12-04-2006, 22:03
Moved my start date to March 11th. Will be staying at the Hike Inn the night of the 10th. Hope to see ya'll out there!

WhoAh
12-04-2006, 22:05
Did I say Hike Inn?? sheesh... already making mistakes.... which way am I hiking?? I'll be at the Hiker Hostel on the 10th, not the Hike Inn - although I plan on staying with those good folks (Jeff and Nancy) when I get to Fontana.

TOOdles
12-30-2006, 20:15
HI! I could have written thsoe exact words on your initial entry. I am planning to leave sometime around March 18th. I have do not have a hiking partner and have only minimally tried to find someone to hike with. It seems like it would be good to at least start the trail with someone. Most of my friends think I'm nuts. Mainly, I am totally excited that I am finally going to do this.