PDA

View Full Version : Getting home from Baxter?

Flapper2005
05-07-2006, 10:26
I hiked 2000 miles last summer in 05 and am finishing this summer to the Big K. Could someone please help me on advise with bus tickets or shuttles they have for NOBO's to get to an airport when finished? Also, is there any convient place to have a friend meet me for the last 5 days of the hike? I think it would be in the middle of the 100 mile wilderness... correct me if I am wrong? I am trying to plan flight and bus schedules for a friend and me from North Carolina, and have had little luck! Thanks for everything!!!!!

FLAPPER

Shutterbug
05-07-2006, 11:30
I hiked 2000 miles last summer in 05 and am finishing this summer to the Big K. Could someone please help me on advise with bus tickets or shuttles they have for NOBO's to get to an airport when finished? Also, is there any convient place to have a friend meet me for the last 5 days of the hike? I think it would be in the middle of the 100 mile wilderness... correct me if I am wrong? I am trying to plan flight and bus schedules for a friend and me from North Carolina, and have had little luck! Thanks for everything!!!!!

FLAPPER

I will take your second question first. A good place for your friend to meet you for the final 5 days of hike would be at the parking lot for Gulf Hagas. There is a good road from Katahdin Iron Works to the parking lot which is on the south side of the West Fork of the Pleasant River. That is assuming that your friend is a fairly stong hiker. You can make it from there to the ABOL Bridge in 5 days.

If you are like me and have more money than time, you can have Minuteman Taxi from Millinocket pick you up at Baxter State Park and drive you to Bangor Airport. If I remember right the last time I did it I paid around $100 including tip. With gas prices being like they are, it would probably be higher.

Peaks
05-08-2006, 18:12
Wingfoot's Handbook covers how to return from Baxter. Actually, it's not too hard. Easy to catch a ride from the parking lot at Katahdin Stream to Millinocket. There is only one road and it only goes to one place.

From there, it's a very comfortable bus ride to Bangor, Portland, or Boston.