PDA

View Full Version : busted A.T. thru/ Help what now?

irishpat
05-07-2006, 11:19
After a few achilles issues I have decided to finish my AT thru at a later time. However, my wife and I have plenty of time and extra money to explore other options.. We are planning a trip out west including backpacking, day hiking, and flat water kayaking. The question is -WHERE? We want to see the Redwoods, Glenn canyon, Yellowstone, North Cascades etc. We have played in the Colorado rockies several times but other than that we are 'big sky virgins'. If you had the time and money what parks and trails would you hike and kayak in the months of May thru July????
All experiences and thoughts welcome.

lobster
05-07-2006, 11:22
Go to Zion!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 12:07
Zion for sure (I can't believe just agreed with Lobster :D). The rarely visited southern end of the Grand Canyon (http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/grand_canyon/havasu_canyon.html) is also worth seeing. Perhaps some of the treasures in Washington state during the hotter months?

Shutterbug
05-07-2006, 12:33
After a few achilles issues I have decided to finish my AT thru at a later time. However, my wife and I have plenty of time and extra money to explore other options.. We are planning a trip out west including backpacking, day hiking, and flat water kayaking. The question is -WHERE? We want to see the Redwoods, Glenn canyon, Yellowstone, North Cascades etc. We have played in the Colorado rockies several times but other than that we are 'big sky virgins'. If you had the time and money what parks and trails would you hike and kayak in the months of May thru July????
All experiences and thoughts welcome.

You mentioned the "North Cascades", but did not mention the Wonderland Trial. It should definitely be on your list. The Wonderland Trail is 92 miles and circles Mt. Rainier. You will need to wait until July, because the snow is still covering most of the trial. Near the end of July would be great!!

My photos of the Wonderland are available at http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/wt/index.html

Sly
05-07-2006, 20:06
IMO, the three best places to visit are are the Wind River Range, Glacier and Yosemite.

MedicineMan
05-07-2006, 21:38
Zion,Cedar Breaks,Bryce,Arches and the Grand Canyon (do the north rim, have seen both and it is far less commercial/touristy), Great Basin (you must climb Mt. Wheeler).....spent 19 straight nights in a hammock out there..the west is so beautiful and the NPs of Utah/Arizona/Nevada will never be forgotten....also throw in Rainbow Monument and Lake Powell, rent a kayak and paddle a section, plenty of money? then do a raft ride on the Colorado....also a hundred little places of opportunity like Fremont Indian State Park, and the stunning Goblin Valley (a must see)...I could go on, just head out and explore..

fiddlehead
05-07-2006, 22:05
Glacier would be my favorite but that is a bit early to go there. Yosemite is 2nd best but also snow covered probably in that time of year
To be sure of staying out of the snow, the Grand Canyon is awesome if you can handle the permit system.

Nean
05-07-2006, 22:40
IMO, the three best places to visit are are the Wind River Range, Glacier and Yosemite.

That would be my 1 & 2 too, Sly, but the Gila might take 3. :)

Freighttrain
05-08-2006, 09:03
dont miss the "National Wild and Scenic River" section of the upper Missouri river. Its a breathtaking 150 mile section of the river that passes indian ruins and hiking places like "hole in the wall"... and "Gods garden{" ... which, the later looks just like the red rock formations in utah? named devils garden but , these are white. this section goes from Ft Benton Montana to Kipp Landing

another spot to not miss is the "Gateway to the Mountains" on the Missouri... Lewis n Clark wrote about the morbid rock formations... twisted faces of death everywhere you look.... - there is a boat ride thru this section for $10 a head for those without a canoe... but if you paddle it yourself, you can camp at old Lewis n Clark campsites

peter_pan
05-08-2006, 09:06
Don't miss Bryce...it is close to Zion and the trails down among the Hoodoos are neat.

Pan

The Solemates
05-08-2006, 09:16
Id go to Alaska.

Ender
05-08-2006, 09:25
The question is -WHERE?

Why not consider going somewhere overseas? New Zealand is supposed to be gorgeous. Europe is very nice, and very fun, and filled with history. Not to mention trails. I've done some light hiking in Germany, and it's pretty cool. Last time I hiked to a monestary, where for a small fee you could stay overnight. They had two full restaurants on the grounds, and brewed their own beer, which they also sold. It was a blast. Scotland is very pretty too... the first chance I have to go back I will.

How often do you get the chance to travel like this. I say go abroad! Not that the US isn't great and worth seeing, it's just that the US is closer and easier. Since you have the time, go somewhere a little more distant. (though I guess Alaska or Hawaii would fit the bill too!)

Gray Blazer
05-08-2006, 09:29
Someone mentioned Wind River Range. Check it out. Very Beautiful with free campgrounds near Cody, WY with great hiking. Look out for Grizzlies.

Alligator
05-08-2006, 13:22
Glacier, Zion, Olympic and do get to Redwoods. I haven't down any kayaking, but consider Boundary Waters.

burger
05-08-2006, 13:44
Like Lobster and MedicineMan said, southern Utah and n. Arizona is the best. The nice thing is that there are so many great places (Zion, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Sedona, etc.) all within a short drive of each other. You could do a great 3-week trip starting in Las Vegas (or maybe Phoenix) in that region.

One caution: if you want to hike at lower elevations (Zion, inside the Grand Canyon, etc.), the earlier the better. By June and July it will get very hot at low elevations. May can be warm but usually isn't too bad, and early May is better than late May.

PM me if you want some more off-the-beaten-path suggestions for s. Utah and n. Arizona.

Sly
05-08-2006, 16:48
Personally, I'd stay away from the Southwest during summer. It's too hot! Go high!

Topcat
05-08-2006, 19:49
i think if i had some time and was going west, i would check out Glen Canyon before it fills back in. Get in touch with your inner Edward Abbey