PDA

View Full Version : hammock question for SOBO start

DLANOIE
05-07-2006, 15:50
I spent last night in the Crawford Notch area of N.H.. I slept in my hammock and used the JRB nest and JRB NSQ. I think it was around 35* with strong gusts of wind. My maccat deluxe held up great. It rained on and off throughout the early evening. But I was chilly all night. I could feel cool air from my feet down to my waist. I brought the sleeping bag with me just in case but I wanted to see if i could just use the JRB quilt combo and not have to carry the 15 oz. sleeping bag. Ive heard of people sleeping toasty with this combo in even cooler temps and so I figured that Im setting it up wrong.

In the winter I put both JRB quilts under the hammock and use a short CCF pad and my sleeping bag. my question is-will I really need all this gear for a SOBO thruhike starting 6/1/06?

Just Jeff
05-07-2006, 20:54
Since you only felt cool on your legs, are you sure you didn't have any air gaps under there? That's about my limit for the JRB set, too, but I feel chilled all over rather than just a specific place...and my legs are usually where the air gaps are if I have to adjust after I get in.

peter_pan
05-08-2006, 09:41
I spent last night in the Crawford Notch area of N.H.. I slept in my hammock and used the JRB nest and JRB NSQ. I think it was around 35* with strong gusts of wind. My maccat deluxe held up great. It rained on and off throughout the early evening. But I was chilly all night. I could feel cool air from my feet down to my waist. I brought the sleeping bag with me just in case but I wanted to see if i could just use the JRB quilt combo and not have to carry the 15 oz. sleeping bag. Ive heard of people sleeping toasty with this combo in even cooler temps and so I figured that Im setting it up wrong.

In the winter I put both JRB quilts under the hammock and use a short CCF pad and my sleeping bag. my question is-will I really need all this gear for a SOBO thruhike starting 6/1/06?

This is close to the limit....but the fact that you cite only being cool on the legs suggest an adjustment is needed on the leg end to eliminate a small air pocket...this is an oft required adjustment....set it right at home with an assistant...then you will have the correct procedure and suspension system location....also please read the Tricks Article and Warm Article on the JRB Web site for ways to enhance performance, especially when near or below the normal limits.

Pan