PDA

View Full Version : what is shepards pie

neo
05-07-2006, 16:08
can you make it from all dehydrated food and cook it in a freezer bag:cool: neo

gsingjane
05-07-2006, 16:29
Shepherd's Pie tends to be a meat base, with onions and spices and sometimes other vegetables (peas and carrots are good), covered with a mashed potato crust. When I make it at home, I pre-cook the meat with the onions and spices, then cover with mashed potatoes and sometimes a little cheese sprinkled on top, and then cook until it's heated through (maybe 30 minutes at 350). I have also heard of Shepherd's Pie being made with beef or lamb cubes, which are then cooked in a stew-like base but then again covered with a potato top crust.

I expect that on the trail, you could make it by re-hydrating hamburger, or seasoned TVP if that's your thing, adding onion flakes and spices, and then topping it with re-constituted potato flakes. Once the meat is cooked, it isn't really necessary to heat the whole dish in the oven, although of course you could heat the entire melange as well.

The concept definitely sounds like it has possibilities, doesn't it?

Jane in CT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 16:32
Shepherd's Pie is sort of like chicken pot pie with no crust and mashed potatoes on top. Most people use ground beef instead of chicken to make it in America. While it might be doable in two ziplocs (one for meat, veggies and sauce - the other for mashed potatoes), I would think the sauce would require some cooking.

Tin Man
05-07-2006, 17:22
MMmmm good. Love Shepherd's Pie. But I think I would leave it for the Irish Pub day off trail (it tastes best with a pint or two of Guinness you see). ;)

Skidsteer
05-07-2006, 20:16
http://www.recipezaar.com/50244

Norwegian Lapskaus is similar to Shepherd's pie. Instead of the mashed potatoes serving as a crust, the whole thing is mixed together after stewing, which also may be easier to duplicate as a dehydrated backpacking meal.

I've eaten it often( my wife is Norwegian ) and it is excellent. Never considered adapting it to backpacking before now. It should be easy enough, however.

Programbo
05-07-2006, 20:20
Shepherd's Pie is sort of like chicken pot pie with no crust and mashed potatoes on top. Most people use ground beef instead of chicken to make it in America.

Question......Why would it be called "Shepherd`s" pie if it had chicken in it originally?.....I would assume beef would be the correct ingrediant (Or maybe lamb)

stoikurt
05-07-2006, 20:23
Sorry about the spelling on shepherd's pie. When I started the thread this morning on "2 Cheezy Questions" , which I assume is what sparked this thread, I was in a hurry to get to church and wanted to get the question out there.

The version I speaking of is more like gsingjane’s first version. At home we cover cooked hamburger and onions with mashed potatoes and then a layer of cheese. Bake it just long enough to melt the cheese since all the other parts should already be hot or warm. Of course, when I eat it I mix it all up and sprinkle some Tony Chachere’s Cajun Seasoning on it for good measure.

My plan is to mix dehydrated hamburger and corn (which I’m drying as we speak, the corn was fresh and microwaved in the husk, then sliced off the cob), onion flakes and one of the flavored instant mashed potato packs in one bag. For the cheese I’m not sure yet if I will use one of the individually wrapped cheese sticks added to the bag after it cooks or mix some powdered cheese in another bag and then add it to the cooked hamburger and potato bag. Of course, I’ll have to take some Tony’s seasoning on the trail because “Tony’s is good on just about everything” except sweets.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 20:37
[/left]

Question......Why would it be called "Shepherd`s" pie if it had chicken in it originally?.....I would assume beef would be the correct ingrediant (Or maybe lamb)Shepherds Pie was originally made with lamb or mutton. I just used the chicken pot pie example to convey the idea of mixed veggies and meat in a sauce.

Skidsteer
05-07-2006, 20:40
[/left]

Question......Why would it be called "Shepherd`s" pie if it had chicken in it originally?.....I would assume beef would be the correct ingrediant (Or maybe lamb)

Shepherd's( sheepherder's ) pie was originally made with lamb.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html#shepherdspie

But you can fix it with just about any leftover meat you have on hand.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 21:12
All meat from sheep is commonly called lamb these days. Mutton is the old term for meat from a sheep over a year old.

Skidsteer
05-07-2006, 22:04
All meat from sheep is commonly called lamb these days. Mutton is the old term for meat from a sheep over a year old.

True, true.:sun

sarbar
05-08-2006, 20:16
Good stuff...I love sheperds pie :)
A really easy way is to make it at home, and to not put potatoes on top-then, dehydrate the filling. In camp rehydrate in a freezer bag/cozy, and make mashed potatoes on the side in another bag. Top with taters and eat!

The Solemates
05-09-2006, 08:56
we had shepards pie on our thru once. instant mashed potatoes, packaged corn, packaged hamburger meat, and a diced onion mixed all together. layers are too hard on the trail.

cannonball
05-09-2006, 10:08
Its a good meal when prepared in a kitchen. IMO, not good enough to go to the trouble of hydrating so it could be used on the trail.
Eat some beef jerky, instant potatoes, and a hunk of cheese and you essentually have SP.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-09-2006, 11:07
Seems dehydrated mixed veggies, cheese or other sauce mix and beef or other TVP or some sort of meat could be mixed easily enough and topped with the mashed taters. Personally, I'm thinking mixed veggies with mushroom gravy mix, TVP ham (we like it better than beef), topped with taters and then finished off with parmesan. While not your classic shepherd's pie, I'm betting this would be tasty.

sellis
05-09-2006, 11:11
My mother-in-law introduced the idea of adding tomato soup instead of gravy for the sauce. It tastes great. I have made it with either TVP/ ground beef/turkey/chicken/lamb + corn, green beans and onions, then mix in the tomato soup and top with mashies. You could probably try powdered tomato soup mix.

gr8fulyankee
05-18-2006, 16:15
We make it with lamb&beef diced onions, a little garlic, a can of creamed corn and mashed on top with a sprinkling of Paprika.

Great now I salivating !

atraildreamer
05-20-2006, 03:17
[/left]

I don't make it much anymore...it's getting tough to find a shepherd. :eek: