PDA

View Full Version : light Racer

altut
05-08-2006, 00:17
Does anybody have any experience with the light racer asym. I am trying to decide between that and the ULBA Asym. I like to go as light as possible and am very gentle with my gear.

MedicineMan
05-08-2006, 00:59
pan will back me up,,,,many moons using this HH with no problems...i too am 'good' to my gear but its not as fragile as you would guess post inquisitorial from Hennessey...

peter_pan
05-08-2006, 09:28
pan will back me up,,,,many moons using this HH with no problems...i too am 'good' to my gear but its not as fragile as you would guess post inquisitorial from Hennessey...

Yup...I too have used this model..probably 60 nights w/ little to no wear...i'm 5-11..180 lbs....never wear shoes in it...never sit or lay in it with clothes that have zippers on the backside... it never touches the ground....SS are a good idea...always select sites w/o potential underbrush snaggers.....Use and under quilt and eliminate any pad friction etc...

Pan

DavidR
05-08-2006, 20:17
I ordered a new Ultralight Backpacker from Tom last week. He told me that it is the same weight at the Light Racer but more durable. It is a new model with the first production starting next week.

peter_pan
05-08-2006, 21:27
I ordered a new Ultralight Backpacker from Tom last week. He told me that it is the same weight at the Light Racer but more durable. It is a new model with the first production starting next week.

When you get it, weigh it and post the results...the forum awaits your report. Also some pictures would be nice of the new material.

Pan

DavidR
05-08-2006, 22:02
When you get it, weigh it and post the results...the forum awaits your report. Also some pictures would be nice of the new material.

Pan

I will see what I can do. Tom said I will get the first one.

DavidR
05-17-2006, 20:17
Alright, the hammock came today. Everything that came from Hennessey weighed 25oz...just the hammock with tree straps weighed 15oz. I'm very impressed with this hammock so far and it deffinately weighes less then the standard ultralight.

Looks like Tom now has this one listed on his site as the Hyperlight.

Just Jeff
05-17-2006, 20:55
That's one spendy hammock! You gonna use it tonight?

Fahrenheit
05-17-2006, 21:22
Man I'm kind of bummed. After reading everyone's rave reviews of hammock camping I decided to go ahead and get a hammock. I finally got my ULB asym in the mail this morning only to find out there is now one 8 oz lighter. Now I have to decide if that 8oz is worth sending back the ULB to get the hyperlight.

Moon Monster
05-17-2006, 23:39
I finally got my ULB asym in the mail this morning

To the letter, I also just jumped on board and also just received my Ultralight today. I ordered before any news of a new version. What to do?

The Hyperlight is listed at $220 and in stock ready to ship. Looks like it will also be for sale at Trail Days this weekend.

David, does this new version indeed appear as durable as the ULB Asym?

DavidR
05-18-2006, 07:44
As for durability, I don't really have anything to compare it to...this is my first hammock.

I can tell you that it does appear that this hammock is pretty durable. Tom told me that this material is much more durable then the LR material and as strong as the ULB material. Sorry, this is all I have to offer.

Fahrenheit
05-18-2006, 12:02
Moon Monster I'm curious to hear what you decide to do. I got my ULB from the clearance sale that Hennessy had of irregular hammocks so the $220 price tag is a big step up. All the same I hate hiking knowing I could be carrying something just as comfortable and durable, but lighter.

MedicineMan
05-19-2006, 02:13
go ahead and order the new(er) model, then you've got a back up, or can keep on in your bug-out-bag in the car for who knows what...
i've got 2 Backpacker A-syms, a Lite Racer, and i bet Santa brings home the new model for Christmas, fingers crossed.

Just Jeff
05-19-2006, 11:02
Just an option - you can keep your backup hammock in my car. I know it's a selfless thing for me to offer up my storage space like that, but I'm serious about the offer...

Fahrenheit
05-19-2006, 12:07
Just an option - you can keep your backup hammock in my car. I know it's a selfless thing for me to offer up my storage space like that, but I'm serious about the offer...

Haha. Yes very selfless. Unfortunately my students budget probably won't allow for a backup hammock so I guess I won't need the storage space afterall.

Moon Monster
05-20-2006, 15:47
Unfortunately my students budget probably won't allow for a backup hammock so I guess I won't need the storage space afterall.

I'm with you Fahrenheit. I'm mostly weighing the cost difference, too. I'm on a grad student budget. I got my ULB Asym with a 20% coupon at REI, so I probably paid a similar amount as you. I'm still not sure what I'll do. Eight oz. is a big difference. Honestly, I may call Hennessey on Monday, ask a couple questions, and make a snap decision on the phone.

DavidR
06-02-2006, 19:16
Here is a pic after my first night in my Hyperlight as requested.

(http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/dar11112/IMG_1111.jpg)

MedicineMan
06-02-2006, 21:47
just switched hiking boots to save 8 ounces.
Thanks for posting the pic of the hyperlite....it looks very low slung in that pic...i usually am with less pronounced curve in the Lite Racer.

Just Jeff
06-02-2006, 22:35
There's a green spot near the tie-out. Is that the quilt showing through, a reflection, or just a funny spot in the picture?

Just curious if the material is see-through.

DavidR
06-03-2006, 07:23
That is my quilt Jeff...it is somewhat see through but I also think it has something to do with the lighting.