PDA

View Full Version : Help/info/may hike/Crandon Virginia???

MedicineMan
03-01-2003, 21:30
Planning the next several hikes and looking to May, we have a 5 day hike planned from Little Wolf Creek to Pearisburg-50ish miles..SassiCat wants to resupply and lessen her burden...the only place we see on the map is Crandon Virginia....any possibles here for a mail drop.
Also noticed Dismal Creek Falls and road access to there, was thinking of a pre-hike and a cache near there for a food/water resupply...
Dont laugh you big milers, I know it is only 50 miles but if you have read my threads here for the last while you know I am slowly trying to condition the SassiCat into longer and longer hikes and dont mind a little extra effort to keep her and my pack weight way down.
Thanks
Simva-

Groucho
03-01-2003, 22:11
50 miles isn't bad for 5 days. Many hikers do less than this starting out.

The trail used to be on Big Walker Mountain and passed through Crandon {Does anyone know whether there is still a maintained trail from Tilson Gap to Crandon?}. Crandon is 0.8 mi. E on VA 608 at Lickskillet Hollow. I do not know if the store is still open.

About 5 mi further N on the trail, at VA 603, it is 0.8 mi. W to a grocery. They have a grill, and should be good for short term resupply, enough to get you to Pearisburg anyway. They may still allow hikers to camp there, and they used to have showers. Someone else may know or you could look it up in the online Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion.

Caches are a possibility, but animals can get into them. I have had luck, long ago, with above ground, double bagged caches. Digging can leave scars.

Enjoy!

MedicineMan
03-02-2003, 23:04
Looks like we will do a pre trip to Crandon, find the little store and ask if we can leave a parcel with them, we will be by there on our third day so that will work out good for us, will offer a donation to the proprietor if he/she will accept for holding the package of food/water.

Jeff
03-03-2003, 08:47
Road access to Dismal Creek Falls is on the OTHER side of the creek. If there has been any signifigant rainfall, you may not be able to cross. The creek can be a river!!

gravityman
03-03-2003, 11:51
As I remember, you walk across a suspension bridge, hit the road. You hitch west (if you assume the AT goes N-S) to the grocery store from there. The road is a bit scary to hitch on though. Not much of a shoulder.
Definitely plan on camping at the falls. They are pretty cool, but look heavily used on the weekends...

At least I think this is the same place you are talking about. The grocery store is pretty decent (convience store really) with good pizza :) Surrounded by lumber mills. The section after the creek is nice and flat if I remembering right...

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
03-03-2003, 13:57
What Gravityman says is correct. You could alternatively, by car, find the bridge and were the trail crosses the road, walk in a ways north and hide your food. It's worth the small side trip, shortly after that point, to the falls. It's a beautiful spot.

Rain Man
08-26-2010, 12:59
About 5 mi further N on the trail, at VA 603, it is 0.8 mi. W to a grocery. They have a grill, and should be good for short term resupply, enough to get you to Pearisburg anyway. They may still allow hikers to camp there, and they used to have showers. Someone else may know ....

I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but I'm beginning to plan a section hike through the area next month or the one after. I think Groucho meant VA 606 instead of 603? Any of you know if the store and grill are still there and operating in the fall? Still have showers? A good place to camp or only to stop by?

I'm hoping to section hike from US 52-to-Pearisburg, with one definite stop being Wood's Hole Hostel, if I can arrange things.

Any advice on the area would be appreciated.

Rain:sunMan