PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Attacked By Wild Dogs

Ridge
05-08-2006, 16:40
http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=4871902

MOWGLI
05-08-2006, 16:49
I had no idea the AT went thru Hawaii. Talk about a blue blazed trail!! Wow!

ed bell
05-08-2006, 17:37
Sounds like the hiker got in the middle of a dog fight. Seven wild dogs is quite a pack. I'm real glad the hiker got the missing dog back and only suffered minor injuries. Hopefully they will be able to enjoy hiking again.

ed bell
05-08-2006, 18:01
I had no idea the AT went thru Hawaii. Talk about a blue blazed trail!! Wow!Just noticed the misplacement myself. General Non-AT would be a more suitable location for this thread.

Rain Man
05-08-2006, 23:01
The article says these were "hunting dogs" illegally off leases.

Domestic dogs running loose illegally are often called "wild dogs," when the truth is they are just dogs whose owners are lazy and stupid and "above the law."

Rain Man

Cosbo
05-11-2006, 13:07
Down in a section in MD at Cowell shelter, we had something like this almost happen to us. We were away from the shelter getting water and on the way back we started hearing dogs barking all around us and folloing along with us on our way back. Thank god they didnt do a thing, but it gave me a bit of a rush.

Hana_Hanger
05-11-2006, 13:49
Well speaking from experience...all pig hunting dogs are allowed to run free while on a hunt....what was so terrible here was, they are NOT suppose to be on a hiking trail or even near a hiking area. (Very hard to control once they are running)
The problem becomes difficult because many areas where there are hiking trails they run right along a area that allows hunting...whether it is pig, dear, or goat season. (no fences either to keep the area contained)
Scarey and always carry a big stick!!!!

Hana_Hanger
05-11-2006, 13:51
oops dear...was of course suppose to be deer :)

RITBlake
05-11-2006, 14:25
Well speaking from experience...all pig hunting dogs are allowed to run free while on a hunt....what was so terrible here was, they are NOT suppose to be on a hiking trail or even near a hiking area. (Very hard to control once they are running)
The problem becomes difficult because many areas where there are hiking trails they run right along a area that allows hunting...whether it is pig, dear, or goat season. (no fences either to keep the area contained)
Scarey and always carry a big stick!!!!

In the NC/Tenn section we saw at least a dozen radio collared hunting dogs on the trail. All were starving and looked very unhealthy. Nice sport.

Hana_Hanger
05-11-2006, 14:36
Yep I agree....you would be surprised or rather shocked what they allow over here...all the locals are aware to be careful...but the tourists need to be warned. Highly unlikely that a sign will be posted over than saying hunting season is open on pig or goat etc...sad but true.

In all fairness to the pig hunters...they take very very good care of there dogs on most islands...for that is their source of food for the family and sometimes the whole village. Most hunters only hunt with their dogs and a big knife...but more and more are beginning to use arrows and guns. It will even get more dangerous now to hike in some areas :(

Green Bean
06-05-2006, 10:49
My father once had some wild dogs come up on him while hiking. He saw them coming down the trail and he thought it was just some wild game walking the trail but he picked up a stick anyways just incase he needed to use it for his protection. He said the dogs ended up stopping infront of him hawling and carrying on so he started poking them with the stick and they scurried off. I will always have some sort of walking stick jsut for this sake and also to help me up those mountains down the trail. ~GB

Newb
06-05-2006, 11:30
I see stray radio-collared hunting dogs here in Virginia all the time. They're always starving and abused looking. I think the bastards that let these dogs get like this should be fed to the hogs.

Newb
06-05-2006, 15:42
I think a better headline will read:

"Wild Dogs Attacked by Hiker."

....When questioned by police the hiker said, "we get mad hungry, dig?"