PDA

View Full Version : How to get a pack for someone with no stores nearby?

trlhiker
05-08-2006, 20:03
That is my question. I got lucky and bought a pack that fit perfectly. I need to buy one for my wife but the closest store is 2 1/2 hours away. The REI in Raleigh. Should I take a stab and hope for the best or do the expensive road trip?:confused:

Nean
05-08-2006, 20:09
Why not make it to Trail Days? You can get a quality pack, properly fitted, and have a great time too!!:sun

Just a Hiker
05-08-2006, 20:11
Hello. You can certainly do this right from home. I would start by measuring your wife's torso which will determine the size pack that you need. Then I would go on the internet and look for packs designed just for women, because there are differences, especially regarding shoulder and sternum straps. At this point it's a matter of how much money you want to spend and what kind of hiking you are going to do.

Good Luck,

Just a hiker

PS. There is an Osprey Airel-60 for sale on this site for $115.00. It's a small I think.

SloHiker
05-09-2006, 12:48
You might get lucky with a proper fit without "test driving" it first, but it's certainly hit or miss. But, with that said, I shop a lot by mail order from internet suppliers. Find sources that have minimal or free shipping, and if you must return something it won't cost you more than the price of a couple of gallons of gas (or less )....not to mention the time involved in driving to return something. Some things I'd much rather put my hands on first, but shopping by mail works pretty well for some items.
The Trail Days suggestion sounds pretty good, though!

trlhiker
05-09-2006, 19:28
Well after discussing this with her and seeing that REI is having thier big sale now, we went ahead and ordered the UL45 bag. I measured her several times to make sure I got it right. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Ridge Rat
05-10-2006, 08:34
Not to bust your bubble or whatever, but I used to have the UL45 bag and it got returned on 100% satisfaction thing twice. First experience out, gromet that cinces the top closure and the compression strap fell off within 3 times opening and closing the bag, experience #2 the frame started to poke through on the Right side from picking up and putting down pack w/ 22 pounds of gear. All in all it seems like a great deal, great pack, but, REI lets me down on this one. ended up going with granit gear vapor trail finally, same weight only a few dollars extra, and it hasnt let me down yet. This is one that sometimes you gotta splurge on a nice pack

Deb
05-10-2006, 08:56
If you do a search here on Whiteblaze you will find two threads about this pack, both full of information.
The pack has a unique integrated harness system that requires some getting used to. Many were not happy with the feel of the aluminum stay and flipped it around or reshaped it.
The position of the yoke (the adjustable back piece that moves up or down on velcro) is key to a good fit.
Also, the sternum strap rides very high. I ended up sewing mine on lower.
This pack can be made to work very well. Good luck with it.

trlhiker
05-10-2006, 19:23
Deb, I did read both threads on it before buying. My wife will only be carrying about 15 pounds at the most and since I had to buy her a new sleeping bag and pad and myself a new bag, the price seemed right. if not I will return it.