PDA

View Full Version : Stoves

Walkingtall
03-01-2003, 22:02
What type of stove do you use most often?

Redbeard
03-01-2003, 23:23
Esbit, but only because it was there when I needed it. Alcohol soda stoves are probably better all around. Esbit is very convenient when cooking simple food for 1.

Bandana Man
03-02-2003, 00:54
Primus Alpine Micro (similar to MSR Pocket-Rocket, I think). Weighs 5 ounces. Small cannister weighs 13 ounces and lasts about 2 weeks for 2 hot meals per day for a solo hiker (well, for me anyway). Extremely convenient.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2003, 01:02
For 16 years I used a Coleman Peak 1. Now I use an MSR Pocket Rocket.

smokymtnsteve
03-02-2003, 19:58

Lone Wolf
03-02-2003, 20:25
I fail to see the ****in humor.

smokymtnsteve
03-02-2003, 21:02

Lone Wolf
03-02-2003, 21:34
Oh. OK. I have a stainless pot and a non-stick fry pan.

TJ aka Teej
03-02-2003, 23:05
I've tried everything over the years, Whisper Jet, Zip, Primus, Esbit, TinCanMan's Alcohol...
and am finally happy with the simplest one - MSR's PocketRocket.

Footslogger
03-03-2003, 08:55
Pretty much use the Trangia alcohol stove for everything now with the possible exception of weekend hikes, when I still like my MSR Pocket Rocket

Waterbuffalo
03-03-2003, 09:03
I use the Wisperlite International and have for about 3 years It works well for me:cool:

Ezra
03-03-2003, 09:46
I've used a beer can stove the last few hikes but I've found that I'll stick to using the whisperlite internationale.

Jaybird
11-16-2003, 16:38
i'll take the MSR "Pocket Rocket" anyday.

used the "pepsi-can" (home-made) alcohol stoves...& they tend to be a bit bothersome...(the fuel you carry is equal to or greater than the time, etc it saves...) & usually heavier than the POCKET ROCKET.

jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird

Chef
11-16-2003, 18:46
Not sure what kind of stove to bring with me on the AT. I have a msr whisperlite, used it on my NOLS coarse and I know they are reliable, but it's too heavy. Deciding between soda can stove or maybe MSR pocket rocket. Whats weight difference, how easy is it to get alcohol for the soda can stoves? What boils water quicker, and by how much? Also looking for a lighter pack, unless i take my north face patrol about 3000 ci and weighs close to 4 lbs. Any input or recommendations?

highway
11-17-2003, 08:08
I "fill it to the rim" and only need to top it off with denatured alcohol every 2-3 days, since it uses so little. Each time I cook there is No fumbling with first lighting a few drops in some preheat reservoir or pouring a guestimate into a cap, then into the stove before lighting, often with cold, trembling hands, all the while hoping I poured enough. And, if I didn't???

The Trangia does weigh slightly more than the soda/beer can hybrids but it will not wear out, will always work, stores its cooking alcohol in itself and is always ready for lighting. That convenience, for me at least, is well worth it! :clap

Plus, with use, it soon develops an antique-looking brass patina that just looks much better than the remaining partial advertisement on any beer or soda container stove :D ;)

Bill Strickland
11-27-2004, 00:11
I like the Cat Stove, made from 2 different size cat food cans, or tuna cans. It's incredibly easy to make and use. It also was the winner of the 2002 Backpacker mag's best homemade alcohol stove contest. Designed by Trail Dad, father of Flyin' Brian plan found on royrobinson.homestead.com/ Jakebrake '04

The Hog
11-27-2004, 08:35
...no stove at all. I've cooked for many years over (very small) wood fires, thereby avoiding the weight of carrying fuel and stove. With practice, you get proficient at starting fires with wet wood. I'll eat an occasional cold meal if making a fire is inconvenient or illegal. The blackened pot goes in a supermarket plastic bag, eliminating the spreading of charred creosote in your pack. I only use only small amounts of dead wood lying on the ground - the environmental impact is minimal. The matches stay dry in a plastic 35mm film container. The ambiance of a small campfire is irreplaceable, and you can have a conversation (which is difficult over the blowtorch noise of many stoves).

By the way, there is virtually no expense, since many stores give away matches to smokers.

swamp dawg
11-28-2004, 13:44
I try to keep cooking simple and light, Esbit stoves rule.
Life is good.....Swamp Dawg

fiddlehead
06-08-2005, 21:57
Pocket Rocket! I would go to one of those ultra lightweight propane/butane alternatives to the pocket rocket but for some reason they are wicked expensive. I sometimes use alcohol but find that if i'm carrying more than 4 days fuel, the propane is lighter. so no a thru-hike, it's propane for me.

Stoker53
06-08-2005, 22:09
Carrier an MSR whisperlite since the early 80's but have been using alc for the past few months. I have not had the chance to use alc in the winter but I'm gonna try it.

Before the MSR it was an Optimus 8R which I still love to take occasionally....just to be retro.

weary
06-08-2005, 22:33
This is not really a well-designed poll. No white gas/coleman fuel option? No wood option?

The Zip Stove is my favorite.

Weary

MacGyver2005
06-09-2005, 09:00
I've been using a Wisperlite for a decade, and upgraded to the Internationale over five years ago. On the Thru-Hike I am using a Brass-Lite alcohol stove, though.

rafe
06-29-2005, 16:23
On a recent section hike I saw several NOBOs using a stove called "Jet Boil." It uses a butane canister but it's a bit more than just a stove -- a bit hard to describe. Think of an integrated stove, fuel canister, windscreen, cooking pot, and pot handle... shaped and sized like a thermos bottle. One of the folks I spoke to claimed he was only on his 4th fuel canister since starting at Springer.

justusryans
06-30-2005, 07:33
I just got my titanium zip stove in the mail and will be testing it out this week, if it works as good as i hope, it will be going with us next year on our thru-hike.

TOW
07-05-2005, 15:29
i do most of my cooking on a campfire, but when i'm tired i have a alcohol stove...

kyhipo
07-05-2005, 20:15
i like the whisper light myself and use a alcohol stove at times but do prefer the whisper light :dance but whatever works is fine ky