PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever make one of these?

subigo
05-09-2006, 02:08
Found these directions online today. Think I may make one tomorrow.

http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/hammock/hammock.htm

Just Jeff
05-09-2006, 02:24
Heh...yeah. A few.

I'd go with a knot or whipping at the end instead of the seam, though.

There are a few of us here at WB with homemade projects like these on our pages.

jazilla
05-09-2006, 09:46
I made one. Used 6 yard and found it was a little too short after whipping. I will use 3 2/3 yards next time. I would use whipping instead of a seam. The seam has to hold the weight of the sleeper and I don't trust material enough to hold me up with little holes already sewn into it. Imagine that sewn in line as a ripping seal on a bag. I used Nylon from Walmart $1 a yard and did the double bottom thing. It was cool but you will need a bug net. I say buy cheap and try try try. After you got the hang of it and you got a finished product you like then go with some more expensive material.

subigo
05-09-2006, 17:18
Is a seam really all that bad? A lot of hammocks (byer models) use seams and do just fine.

I seriously doubt anyone under 200 lbs. would have any problem at all with three seams stitched on each side. I'm not saying it's any better or worse than whipping the end, but I don't think it would be a problem under normal use.

Just Jeff
05-10-2006, 00:02
It can work - it's just more sewing work to make it, and you're introducing another potential point of failure for no benefit. But if you like the design, run with it!