PDA

View Full Version : footfall...and hamocking...in the Mt. Rogers area

gumball
05-09-2006, 08:08
We will be taking about a 100 mile section hike from the TN border, going north in about three weeks. I am, for the first time, considering switching from my Lowa boots to Adidas Response trail runners--I was just curious as to whether or not this is a particularly rocky area, or if trailrunners would be appropriate here.

Also, I anticipate we will be walking amidst balds. There are two of us who are hammock hangers--should we anticipate any problems finding places to hang our hammocks?

Thanks! :) gumball

SGT Rock
05-09-2006, 10:26
No more rocks than anywhere else on the AT. I have hiked the area in running shoes. And as long as you don't want to camp directly on a bald, you can use a hammock as there are still lots of woods in the area.

peter_pan
05-09-2006, 15:14
second Rock's comments.

Pan

Deerleg
05-09-2006, 17:13
I hiked that section in 2000 N-S finishing in Damascus also in running shoes. No problems at all. For what it’s worth the state line is only a couple of miles (3 I think) S of Damascus and if your not opposed to a SB hike it is sure nice to finish a long section in a great trail town.

gumball
05-10-2006, 18:58
Actually my husband tells me we are going to go N to S, so I think we will be finishing up in Damascus. i will look forward to that!

One more trailrunners question, if anyone sees this--mine aren't waterproof. can I anticipate spending a lot of time hiking with wet feet? Is there something else I should do to them to make them waterproofed?

Sorry for the dumb question...but I am bit nervous about blisters, although every thread I've read on this seems to indicate they are minimal.

Thanks!

murphyw
05-11-2006, 13:23
Gumball,

I was on trail till a few weeks ago. I 1/2 blame my switch to trail runners (from asolo boots) for my foot injury. I'm sure it works well for some, but I'm on the couch healing instead of walking north on my NOBO...

I thought my feet were strong, over a month on the AT, feeling good... Just set one down too hard during a stumble. It was during that climb up Roan.

I'm going back to boots when my foot feels well enough. I hope to restart from trail days.

Sure, boots are heavier. Dry slower. Certainly trail runners work for some. It's just not fun being home instead of on the trail. I'm going to take the extra weight & extra stiff soled boots from here on out.

--Bill (aka Pi)

orangebug
05-11-2006, 13:42
Feet are wet on the AT, regardless of shoe choice. Feet make about a pint of sweat daily. Trailrunners may be a little more soaked earlier, but wind up pretty much the same.

What may be more important is a choice of insoles for better support of your foot and to improve the fit of the shoe. Good luck, and enjoy the ponies.

Spock
05-11-2006, 22:29
Your feet will stay dryer in trail runners as long as the trail is not running water. If there is a lot of water when you are there, consider temporarily using waterproof socks or W/B socks such as GoreTex. For long-term wet, consider neopreme booties. Just make sure you get your feet dry at night to prevent trench foot.

bigcranky
05-12-2006, 12:20
The Mt Rogers area is our regular hiking destination -- only two hours to the trailhead. Hammocking is easy (except on the balds, of course), and we always wear trail runners w/o any problems.

(Sorry to hear about your foot injury, Bill. Hope it heals up soon.)

As Sgt Rock said, it's no rockier than anywhere else.

big cranky

gumball
05-13-2006, 08:03
Thanks--since hiking the PA rocks, I get a little paranoid...I know, they aren't that bad (tell that to my feet).

I appreciate the comments from everyone. :)