PDA

View Full Version : Upgradiing my pack, advice needed

joec
05-09-2006, 11:29
Time to move on to lighter gear. First new item will be a new pack. I know it is tough to choose, but if money was not the first consideration, which internal frame pack would you get for use for up to 5 day trips? Started at REI just before my last trip and the sales guy showed me the Arc Teryx Bora. Very exensive. Also looked at the Gregory Whitney. More my speed on cost. I will be carrying my stuff and part of my wifes stuff. Need to carry around 50 lbs or so if she goes with me.

Lone Star
05-09-2006, 11:56
You may want to consider lightening your other equipment first. You will be much more comfortable carrying light equipment in a heavy pack, than heavy equipment in a pack designed to carry lighter loads.

Footslogger
05-09-2006, 11:58
I second that motion ...

Lay out your gear and make some decisions there first. Then take what's left and go backpack shopping. Get a pack that meets your weight requirments that will hold your stuff.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
05-09-2006, 12:04
You won't likely find a lightweight pack to carry 50 lbs comfortably. Maybe the LuxuryLite, but I can't think of another.

Like the others said - lighten up your other stuff, then take it with you to the store and start stuffing it into the packs. When you find one you like, you'll know it's the right size.

Plus, then you can get your wife's stuff lighter and you won't need to carry 50 lbs! That's basically two full packs for some folks - be sure to eliminate redundancies when you're packing together...shouldn't be too tough to get that weight down some.

joec
05-09-2006, 12:22
I made the decision on my last hike to upgrade. I have a external frame pack that I have had for 10 yrs and is too heavy. I am not looking for a ultralite pack so much as a lighter pack that is well rounded for most up to 5 day type trips. I know there are so many variables in packs, just wanted to try to narrow it down some before going back to my nearest REI and getting serious. Thanks for the advice but getting my wife to go is more important than what she packs. If she goes I will not be going on 5 day trips, those will be solo. My wife is a two day/two nite max hiker.

Jack Tarlin
05-09-2006, 12:56
The most popular "lightweight" packs (i.e. packs from such companies as Granite Gear, ULA, Osprey, Gregory, Go-Lite, etc.) are simply not designed to carry 50-pound loads.

Two suggestions: As others have mentioned, you might want to concentrate on dropping the weight of what's IN your pack rather than the pack itself. Possible ideas would be switching from a two-person tent to a tarp or tarp/tent; switiching to lighter-weight sleeping bags and pads; purchasing lighter-weight clothing; switching to all dehydrated meals, etc.

Otherwise, concentrate on finding an internal-frame pack that'll comfortably carry a heavy load, something like the Osprey Aether 70, which weighs around 4 lbs.12 oz, which seems like a lot compared to lighter weight packs, but it'd still be an improvement over what you've got, and could easily handle a 50-lb load if necessary (The Bora 80, by comparison, weighs around seven pounds empty).

littlelaurel59
05-09-2006, 21:55
The maker of LuxuryLite packs claim they carry 50+ pounds comfortably. I have never used one, but perhaps others can report. Personally, I have difficulty using the words "50 pounds" and "comfortable" in the same sentence.

MedicineMan
05-09-2006, 23:08
just added the six moon essence to the collection, will give my .02 next week after this weekends hike...the LuxuryLite carrying 50 pounds? yes, all the weight of that pack is carried on the hips and i mean ALL of the weight, the shoulder straps only serve to keep the pack from flopping backwards to the ground, the frame as test by Bruce can easily carry that much weight and more....the question remains as to why anyone would want to carry that much weight in this day of lightweight marvels in terms of gear...i did it for 20 years but that was before 3 pound tents,alcohol stoves,fly weight rain gear.....if you insist on an internal and money is no object Moonbow will custom fit a Mithril to you and being in Spectra will last, well like mithril would :)

Tinker
05-09-2006, 23:27
I absolutely agree with the previous posts - ditch the heavy equipment before buying a new pack. When you get your gear down around 40 lbs. (with your wife's stuff), start shopping for that pack.

Alligator
05-10-2006, 10:24
Joe-Here are some ideas for dropping pack weight:
a two person tarptent
a Megalite tepee tent
one pot with Orikaso folding dinnerware
Platypuses for both
a two person quilt
alcohol stove/canister stove

I too have to carry extra. My wife is limited to about 15 lbs. I've never tried it, but I think for late spring to early fall--5 days--I could use my Osprey Ariel 60, probably needing the accessory pocket. You are sounding a bit heavier than I am. I have a summer base weight of about 15 lbs (no food or water). Just remember, 5 days of food is ~15-20 lbs for 2 people.

How much weight can your wife carry and what size pack does she have? Even if she can't carry a lot, you may be able to give her some of the bulkier but lighter stuff.

I'm not too familiar with packs in the 4-5 lb range, which might be the best you can do with your current estimate. I have two lightweight packs and a Big Daddy pack, an Arc'teryx Bora 95. I bought the Bora 95 right before I gave serious attention to lightening up, then dropped into the Ariel 60 for most of the year (except winter), and now have a GG Vapor Trail for the warmest months:sun .

joec
05-10-2006, 15:23
I am going to buy a pack for my wife as well. Hers is a heavy frame pack. She will be carrying about 15 lbs tops. I have gotten rid of the heavy tent and going with hammocks. Ditching the wisperlite stove for lighter alcohol versions. I think mine will be around 40 when she is with me and about 30-35 when she is not. As I looked up some of the packs mentioned above, I see some have a waist size? I was surprised. However, one way to go lite is to push away the plate and eat less in my everyday life. I am doing that. I only boil water on the trail so only one pot now. My wife is getting better about not taking every little thing. On our last hike, I looked back on a uphill and caught her crying with frustration. I will have to carry it all if it gets me a hiking partner a couple of trips a yr. Next up, Harpers Ferry in Aug. Have until then to figure out new gear.

Alligator
05-10-2006, 16:10
For your wife, there are a number of packs that would carry 20 lbs and are ultralight. An offhand suggestion would be a GG Vapor Ki. There's a thread on it in the women's forum.

If you're hammocking, any pad you use will likely be foam, so no need to waste internal space. If you use down in your sleep system, that will save space. It sounds like you have already started lightening up:stove, shelter, looking at a pack. Maybe work on your clothes as another area of weight loss. Given that your wife has already experienced the discomfort of a too heavy pack, she should be more amenable to losing a few things. From the sounds of it, you could soon be able to fit into something along the lines of an Ariel 60 or equivalent. By yourself, that might be a little too big, especially if you use a lot of down.

The posters suggesting to get the other gear together first are spot on. Everything ought to still fit into your current pack as you lighten up. When you are at a good spot weightwise, get the pack that will fit your needs.

Some packs you can trade out the hipbelt if your torso and waist sizes do not line up for the specific pack.

Programbo
05-17-2006, 19:11
May I suggest your old external wasn`t fitting correctly or wasn`t high end enough...Your "surprise" at a waist size being mentioned makes me wonder if whoever sold you the external frame provided the correct frame size as well as hipbelt size, etc..When comparing external/internal the external pack itself may be heavier which seems to scare some people (Most?)..But they load will feel lighter, carry more naturally on an open trail and conserve more energy...BUT make sure it`s a nice higher end external (If they still bother to make such a thing with the internal fad)

K0OPG
05-17-2006, 20:23
external all the way. my fits great and I love it.:D It is a Jansport. Not real high-end but it satifies my needs and I have had no problems with it.

just likt the other thread mentioned...get fitted! it makes all the difference whether it is internal/external.

joec
05-18-2006, 09:00
Bought my wife the GG Vapor Ki and should have it today. Still working on what I want to do.