PDA

View Full Version : If you had $1000 to blow on gear....

saimyoji
05-09-2006, 19:24
If you had a grand that had been liberated from the sale of older gear, what would you do with it? (I recently returned a bunch of LLBean stuff, $1100 free money).

hikerjohnd
05-09-2006, 19:31
Assuming I did not already have the stuff, buy a LunarSolo, Essence Pack, and fly to Australia to hike there.

neo
05-09-2006, 19:41
If you had a grand that had been liberated from the sale of older gear, what would you do with it? (I recently returned a bunch of LLBean stuff, $1100 free money).;

jacksrbetter

$454.95 jacksrbetter quilt set
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Nest-No%20Snivelling%20Combo.htm

a new hennessey hammock asym hammock $169.95

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue-hammocks.htm

sleepwalker
05-09-2006, 19:44
I'm foaming at the mouth...I think a Marmot Helium EQ bag and an Arc'Teryx Alpha SV shell...and 2 dozen roses for the wife(oh boy would I need them)

Kerosene
05-09-2006, 20:51
I'd consider getting a LuxuryLite pack, all the various Jacks R Better underquilt seasonal options, and maybe the Arc'Teryx Sigma LT windstopper shell just for kicks. The rest I'd spend on food and gas sufficient for a few weeks of backpacking, which is much more precious than any gear I could buy.

SGTdirtman
05-09-2006, 20:56
"Sarges Surplus Store" here I come!

hammock engineer
05-09-2006, 21:07
Hard question. If you already have everything you need and are truely just upgrading, then I would upgrade for pack and sleeping system. I an eyeing the ULA packs for my next one, and upgrade your tent/hammock. If you never tried a hammock, now is the prefect time. HH is running a clearance sale. A summer and seperate winter bag will have some weight in the pack.

Or upgade all the little things. A new digital camera, sea to summit ultra sil bags for stuff/food sacks, rain gear, fleece, coats, stove, etc. All the little things that add up in cost.

MOWGLI
05-09-2006, 21:11
I'd buy a new butt. Mine has a crack in it. (|)

hammock engineer
05-09-2006, 21:13

That was awesome!

neo
05-09-2006, 21:22

:D you can fix that with jb weld lol:cool: neo

http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

around $4.00,that leaves $996.00:D

you get a hammock quilt set a jet boil

brancher
05-09-2006, 21:28
WM Ultralite (or Aspen)
Thruhiker Down quilt kit (yeah, I know, I can get a quilt ready made, but just because I have money doesn't mean I gotta waste it....)

Skidsteer
05-09-2006, 21:52
:D you can fix that with jb weld lol:cool: neo
around $4.00,that leaves $996.00:D
you get a hammock quilt set a jet boil

....And use what's left over to buy a ticket to a fundraiser for Hillary. ;)

littlelaurel59
05-09-2006, 22:05
A LuxuryLite pack, a Double Rainbow tarptent, and a WM bag.

Blissful
05-09-2006, 22:11
Some really good sleeping bags.

But my dh would want a catamaran...

neo
05-09-2006, 22:33
....And use what's left over to buy a ticket to a fundraiser for Hillary. ;)

she is my woman skid you cant have her:cool: neo

neo
05-09-2006, 22:36
Hard question. If you already have everything you need and are truely just upgrading, then I would upgrade for pack and sleeping system. I an eyeing the ULA packs for my next one, and upgrade your tent/hammock. If you never tried a hammock, now is the prefect time. HH is running a clearance sale. A summer and seperate winter bag will have some weight in the pack.

Or upgade all the little things. A new digital camera, sea to summit ultra sil bags for stuff/food sacks, rain gear, fleece, coats, stove, etc. All the little things that add up in cost.

:D i just got a new kayak.a old town dirago 120 that rules a new kayak out:cool: neo
http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/recreation/dirigo_120.html

Alligator
05-09-2006, 23:12
I'd buy a moped for sectioning.

Tinker
05-09-2006, 23:18
This might be at the top of my list:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/bags.php

I already have two of almost everything, and much of it is top shelf (I didn't mess around with low end, knowing I'd wear it out or break it). I've been having fun lately, though, collecting some inexpensive stuff just to see if it works. Heck, my first really good sleeping bag cost $550. in 1987 (Stephenson Warmlite). Warm it is, light it ain't (neither am I, come to think of it).
The sleeping bag in the link is less than 1/2 the weight of my current summer down bag (one of the few basic items I bought at a good price).

Tempting!:-?

hammock engineer
05-09-2006, 23:33
This might be at the top of my list:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/bags.php

I already have two of almost everything, and much of it is top shelf (I didn't mess around with low end, knowing I'd wear it out or break it). I've been having fun lately, though, collecting some inexpensive stuff just to see if it works. Heck, my first really good sleeping bag cost $550. in 1987 (Stephenson Warmlite). Warm it is, light it ain't (neither am I, come to think of it).
The sleeping bag in the link is less than 1/2 the weight of my current summer down bag (one of the few basic items I bought at a good price).

Tempting!:-?

Interesting bag, and a pound lighter than the 20 degree bag I use. One thing that I do not understand is why there is weight limits on the bags. It is made of .8 oz ripstop, but that shouldn't make a difference. Am I missing something?

Tinker
05-09-2006, 23:38
Interesting bag, and a pound lighter than the 20 degree bag I use. One thing that I do not understand is why there is weight limits on the bags. It is made of .8 oz ripstop, but that shouldn't make a difference. Am I missing something?

The weight limits are in consideration of the size of the user. Obviously, a larger person needs a larger bag, and that bag, using more fabric and containing more down, will weigh more. Heavier folks, unfortunately, need heavier gear (so it will fit).

map man
05-09-2006, 23:40
A lifetime membership to the Superior Hiking Trail Association ($500 -- support your local trails), Integral Designs Rain Jacket (around $200), one of Henry Shires' two person tarptents -- for more roominess, though I don't know which one I'd get (around $200). And last, a kilt! I might need a couple drinks before I'd wear it, but it would be cool to have one.

Heater
05-10-2006, 08:29
A LuxuryLite pack, a Double Rainbow tarptent, and a WM bag.

Same thing but either a ULA pack or Osprey. (decisions.. the Osprey pack is really comfortable on me but heavy) A new pair of hiking shoes/boots with whats left over... Beer.

Kerosene
05-10-2006, 08:53
Integral Designs Rain JacketOh yeah, I'd have to check out how the Integral Designs eVENT Jacket (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=763&CFID=7378347&CFTOKEN=43005992&mainproducttypeid=1) works on the AT (9 oz, $220).

Footslogger
05-10-2006, 08:58
I'd spend it on travel to get someplace I otherwise couldn't afford (or justify).

'Slogger

KirkMcquest
05-10-2006, 10:26

plug it up!:eek:

KirkMcquest
05-10-2006, 10:27
The mountain hardware 'swift', for starters. The precip sux.

Heater
05-10-2006, 12:16

You gotta good recommedation on the buttplugs, do ya, McQuirk? :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
05-10-2006, 12:39

Kirk:

I had no idea you were a Steely Dan fan.

neo
05-10-2006, 12:55
Originally Posted by MOWGLI16

:D with what:cool: neo

Hana_Hanger
05-10-2006, 13:08
First fly to California...head out to a BIG outfitter store like REI or something.
Go wild ~ see everything in person...try it all on ~ drive the store clerks crazy!
Then since this is a dream...buy all NEW gear!!

(Next year plan to do this anyways...but sad to say my credit card may wear out from all the sliding through those little black boxes)

Heater
05-10-2006, 14:02

One of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OAK-BARREL-BUNGHOLE-PLUG-BARREL-PLUG-STOPPER_W0QQitemZ7609039745QQcategoryZ67125QQcmdZV iewItem

neo
05-10-2006, 15:04
One of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OAK-BARREL-BUNGHOLE-PLUG-BARREL-PLUG-STOPPER_W0QQitemZ7609039745QQcategoryZ67125QQcmdZV iewItem

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by neo

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ouch :cool: neo

ridgewalker777
05-10-2006, 15:25
I have returned a few things to LL Bean as this poster indicated in the first post--but to return over $1000 is a bit much...Assuming it was resaleable, there is no real issue. Certain other outfitting stores do have good guarantees, but none quite so open-ended as LL BEAN. Their sales people do look cross-eyed when the issue is pressed into the absurd--which is not my assertion here. Just that generosity needs to be carefully considered.

saimyoji
05-10-2006, 17:22
I have returned a few things to LL Bean as this poster indicated in the first post--but to return over $1000 is a bit much...Assuming it was resaleable, there is no real issue. Certain other outfitting stores do have good guarantees, but none quite so open-ended as LL BEAN. Their sales people do look cross-eyed when the issue is pressed into the absurd--which is not my assertion here. Just that generosity needs to be carefully considered.

Yeah, I know it seems pretty a**holish to return this much used gear, but let me give you some details, just so you'll be sure of what kind of an a**hole I am.

1 never been worn outside (still has the tags on it) down parka I ordered before the winter to try it out ($300)

1 slightly used down parka that sprung a leak in the hood ($300)

1 never been worn outside (still has the tags on it) fleece jacket ordered for same reason above ($120)

1 Goretex XCR parka that was flawed ($300)

1 slightly used fleece that had faulty seams that bugged me but I never got around to sending it back before I wore it a few times. ($100)

So, yeah, some stuff I sent back in mint condition, others less so. All (unflawed ones) are resaleable at either original or reduced price. I've been a customer of Bean's for at least 20 years, have lots of good stuff from them. I will continue to buy stuff from them in the future, and will continue to sing their praises for their return policy.

BTW: Bean gear I still use: day pack (I use it every day); boots (I hike in them as often as I can); assorted flannel shirts, long underwear, ice-cream ball, my wife's snowboots, rain gear, and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about. The cutest thing was this outfit that had adorable little rabbit ears and cuffs so that you could tuck hands and feet into. Of course they didn't have my size so I gave it to my little girl. This one we donated to Goodwill, in perfect condition.

Go Bean!! ;)

zgourde
05-10-2006, 19:33
Well, I think most of the money would go to something from Dan McHale. Whatever was left over would buy me some nice wool base layers topped of by a nice lightweight kilt. Maybe something from bear kilts.

hobbit
05-10-2006, 20:00
the four season quilt set from JRB and a new therma rest or BA air core pad...........and a JRB tarp........

betic4lyf
05-10-2006, 22:42
i'd try to find a used maiya 7II. wighs as much as a 35mm slr, but takes pictures that are 6*7cm. super awesome

Jerm
05-10-2006, 23:23
nunatak arc alpinist down quilt and skaha plus hooded down sweater w/ kanagroo pockets and a ula conduit.

Pacific Tortuga
05-10-2006, 23:39
Yeah, I know it seems pretty a**holish to return this much used gear, but let me give you some details, just so you'll be sure of what kind of an a**hole I am.

1 never been worn outside (still has the tags on it) down parka I ordered before the winter to try it out ($300)

1 slightly used down parka that sprung a leak in the hood ($300)

1 never been worn outside (still has the tags on it) fleece jacket ordered for same reason above ($120)

1 Goretex XCR parka that was flawed ($300)

1 slightly used fleece that had faulty seams that bugged me but I never got around to sending it back before I wore it a few times. ($100)

So, yeah, some stuff I sent back in mint condition, others less so. All (unflawed ones) are resaleable at either original or reduced price. I've been a customer of Bean's for at least 20 years, have lots of good stuff from them. I will continue to buy stuff from them in the future, and will continue to sing their praises for their return policy.

BTW: Bean gear I still use: day pack (I use it every day); boots (I hike in them as often as I can); assorted flannel shirts, long underwear, ice-cream ball, my wife's snowboots, rain gear, and a bunch of other stuff I've forgotten about. The cutest thing was this outfit that had adorable little rabbit ears and cuffs so that you could tuck hands and feet into. Of course they didn't have my size so I gave it to my little girl. This one we donated to Goodwill, in perfect condition.

Go Bean!! ;)

All made in China for 49.95 but if we didn't patronize such outfitters we would have to get our gear from Walmart which I guess is OK for some.

Ramble~On
05-11-2006, 04:30
:-? $1000.00 to blow on gear.

1 Arcteryx Shell

2 Arcteryx Fleece

3 Arcteryx Bibs

:eek: $1000 not enough.....ouch!

grrickar
05-11-2006, 10:37
I would buy a ENO hammock sleep system (hammock, bug net, tarp, straps), a Henry Shire Rainbow tent and a Cloudburst for 2+ man, a ULA P-2 pack, a Jetboil, a medium sized silnylon tarp, and a WM bag. Wow, a $1000 wouldn't buy all of that!

I'd spend the $1000 and go in debt for the rest ;)

From that list you would think i was in need of gear, but the truth is I have a closetfull of stuff I need to offload that rarely or never gets used...

Footslogger
05-11-2006, 10:40
From that list you would think i was in need of gear, but the truth is I have a closetfull of stuff I need to offload that rarely or never gets used...
===============================
That's the funny part ...most of use who have been at this for a while have a pretty impressive gear locker but that doesn't stop us from looking and wanting a new piece of gear now and then. Just think about all the stuff we've bought over the years that we thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time and is now drawing dust. I know I've got tons of it. Actually have been selling some off lately though.

'Slogger

John B
05-11-2006, 11:05
I'd like a Western Mountaineering bag rated at 0-5 degrees. I have their Ultralight (20 degree) and it's great, but I'd like one rated near zero because it's most convenient for me to hike in the winter and I'd like to upgrade my winter gear (wish list of a 4-season tent, fleece pants, decent gloves, etc).

bigcranky
05-11-2006, 11:19
Great question.

I'd get a superlight bivy cover from Mountain Laurel Designs up in Maine. I'd get some custom work done on it, maybe total out at about $200. Then I would get either one of their poncho tarps (long enough for a tall guy), or I'd blow a bunch on a spinnaker fabric tarp from Backpacking Light. That would drop my shelter weight from over two pounds to just about a pound, while being extremely flexible over 3+ seasons.

I'd buy my wife a Western Mountaineering Ultralite as a three-season bag. She's always (always always always) cold, and a 35-40-F bag just doesn't cut it for her even in warm weather.

Then I'd buy her the new Osprey Ariel 55, which is the women's version of the Aether 60. Not the lightest pack in the world, but she's tried it on and loves the suspension system. It's only about 12 ounces heavier than her Z-Pack, and she, um, dislikes the Z. (She calls it "Cujo.")

That's about a grand. Now all I need to do is find my own thousand bucks.

--cranky

Programbo
05-11-2006, 19:38
I`d buy myself a nice high quality external frame pack and hit the trail and try and convert the internal framed non-believers! :D

Heater
05-12-2006, 06:37
I`d buy myself a nice high quality external frame pack and hit the trail and try and convert the internal framed non-believers! :D

Other than the Luxurylight and Kelty, I haven't seen much in the way of high quality external frame packs. I think Jansport still makes one too.

What others are out there?

Programbo
05-12-2006, 19:29
Other than the Luxurylight and Kelty, I haven't seen much in the way of high quality external frame packs. I think Jansport still makes one too.....What others are out there?

Unfortunately due to the long time highly successful marketing and high profit of the internal frame pack most of the pack makers have all but given up on the external frame even though it is the better design for open trail hiking (IF you are talking a high end external)..I`d have to search Ebay for some good deals on older but high quality externals or research who is still making what

saimyoji
05-15-2006, 10:39
Was out at Cabela's yesterday, saw some of these.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?No=20&noImage=0&Ntt=external+frame+pack&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=external+frame+pack&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4887&Nty=1

The sign claimed they could stand up to 175 lbs. Can't imagine you'd need more than that.

hammock engineer
05-15-2006, 10:44
Was out at Cabela's yesterday, saw some of these.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?No=20&noImage=0&Ntt=external+frame+pack&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=external+frame+pack&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4887&Nty=1

The sign claimed they could stand up to 175 lbs. Can't imagine you'd need more than that.

Can't imagine carrying more than a 1/3 of that.