PDA

View Full Version : Best 3-4 Day Hike in PA, NJ, NY?

sportscenter26
05-09-2006, 20:42
My buddies and I are planning a 3 or 4 day backpacking getaway this summer, but unfortuneately time permits us from traveling very far. We all live outside of Philadelphia, so we could only make it up to sections in Pa, NJ, or NY. I thru-hiked last year, so I am a fairly experienced hiker, but most everyone else has never been on a real hiking trip. I'm having trouble thinking of a nice section in this region. Any suggestions?

SGTdirtman
05-09-2006, 21:00
My very biased opinion.... Deleware water gap north to rt 23 in highpoint NJ is a nice 3-4 day trip.

Green Bean
05-09-2006, 21:10
I can give you a couple nice 3 day hikes to start you off. Some of these sections are shorter then others but you can always venture on.

Sections in PA:
PA Route 443 to PA Rt 225 - 25 miles
Shippensburg Rd to PA 94 - 20 miles
Clarks Ferry Bridge to Old Stone House Rd - 22 miles
PA Rt 183 to Rt 72 - 20 miles
PA Rt 183 to Hawk Mt Rd - 30 miles
~GB

Moon Monster
05-10-2006, 01:14
Have you considered non-AT trails in Pennsylvania? I'm working my way through some of them and have been pleasantly surprised at the diversity available in the state as compared to the AT sections there.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/index.aspx

Several loop trails available that would save you the time and gas of doing a shuttle.

no_granola
05-10-2006, 15:05
Have you considered non-AT trails in Pennsylvania? I'm working my way through some of them and have been pleasantly surprised at the diversity available in the state as compared to the AT sections there.

Several loop trails available that would save you the time and gas of doing a shuttle.

The Chuck Keiper, Loyalsock or Black Forest Trails would be good as long as you're willing to put in a little bit of hard work . . .the West Rim trail if you're looking for something easy. All have plenty of rewards.

c.coyle
05-10-2006, 16:01

Nah. The AT is the only trail worth hiking in Pa. Nothing else to see here. Just keep moving. ;)

Cookerhiker
05-10-2006, 16:17
My very biased opinion.... Deleware water gap north to rt 23 in highpoint NJ is a nice 3-4 day trip.

I second Dirtman's suggestion. Another possibillity is Greenwood Lake/Rt. 17A to the Bear Mountain Inn. If you can arrange a shuttle, Bear Mountain Inn is a reasonably safe place to keep your car for a few days. You said 3-4 days - try to avoid the weekend on this latter stretch.

Lumberjack
05-11-2006, 11:11
Allow me to second the Black Forest Trail.....

Toolshed
05-11-2006, 12:46
I'll third the BFT
that whole noerthern PA area was my stomping grounds for over a decade (including the Susquehannock, West Rim Trail, Old Loggers path, Loyalsock and anything in the Allegheny's or in Alleghany [one is in NY and one is in PA])
If you really want some solitude and adventure, try one of these trails. You'll cross some roads and pass some small towns, but you don't see many folks on the trails and many sections of these trails follow old logging railroad grades or tote roads, making the hiking a bit easier.