PDA

View Full Version : Speer Hammocks

Travel_Girl82
05-10-2006, 02:30
Does anyone have any opinions towards purchasing a speer hammock kit (or just making my own) versus buying one pre-made?

subigo
05-10-2006, 03:36
I just finished a hammock... after fabric, thread, rope, and a new sewing needle, the entire thing cost about $17.

You can't beat the price and it sleeps just as good as any other hammock out there. If you know how to use a sewing machine, you can make a *nice* hammock with bugnet in about 5 hours (at least that's what it took me).

I would just make one... forget the kit and pre-made hammocks. When it comes down to it, it's just a big piece of fabric. One of the easiest things in the world to make.

papa john
05-10-2006, 07:00
Buy the book and make your own. There are lots of good tips in the book

MOWGLI
05-10-2006, 07:19
Great hammocks. Great guy. What more can I say? Buy his book!

http://www.speerhammocks.com/

shades of blue
05-10-2006, 08:24
His materials are all pre-cut and pre-measured. I think it all depends on if you are really good with sewing/measuring or not. It was good for me to have pre-cut materials and everything ready to sew. For you...that might not be an issue. I do recommend the book, lots of good tips and directions.

Just Jeff
05-10-2006, 10:16
Hammocks are super simple to make - my very first sewing project was a hammock. I haven't used Ed's kit, but I can certainly see the advantage of having everything pre-cut for your first hammock, especially if you're going to include the bugnet w/ velcro like Speers have. But you could still figure out the right dimensions without the kit if you wanted to spend the time.

Like the others have said, Ed's a great guy and his book has all kinds of info - definitely worth the price for a hammocker, moreso if you're going to make your own hammock.

Marta
05-11-2006, 07:10
I have made a hammock from Ed's kit, various non-camping hammocks made from locally-purchased materials, and a hammock made from specially-ordered fabrics of the same quality as those provided in Ed's kit. Unless you are really lucky finding silnylon and such on sale somewhere near you (which I have never been able to do, but many other hammock-makers have), the kit compares pretty closely in cost to buying similar materials from a specialty fabric supplier.

Whether to make it yourself or buy it premade... If you like to make things, obviously you have to make it yourself. Beware, though, that making hammocks is an addiction like unto making stoves. The money you save making that first hammock will be spent ten times over making more and more hammocks...

Right, Jeff?

cannonball
05-11-2006, 08:24
What is the primary fabric used in hammocks? or asked another way, what material is ligth weight yet can be strong enough to support 200-250 lbs.?

Just Jeff
05-11-2006, 09:56
Amen, Marta. I saved a lot of money making almost all of my stuff from $1/yd Walmart fabric...that I'm almost out of. I'm close to ordering stuff from a real supplier just because I haven't found any silnylon at Walmart in forever and I can't wait any more! Yep - it's addicting. But worth it (unless you ask my wife when I have stuff all over the dining room).

Cannonball, 1.9 oz untreated ripstop nylon is what I use. Some people like DWR b/c it cuts the wind, but I like untreated for the ventilation, then I use my insulation to cut the wind, too. I do use DWR for my insulated hammocks, though...b/c it has to be downproof. My latest down hammock has two layers of 1.1 oz for the hammock body - I think that would hold 200-250 lbs, too. A single layer of 1.1 oz is probably too light for repeated use.

Others have used similar weights of polyester, and a few have used 8-10 mm silk. I have a list of suppliers on my page, but if you can find something in the Walmart dollar bin you'd be set.

Jonas4321
05-11-2006, 13:30
There is simply no better investment as you get started with hammock camping than to buy Ed's Hammock Camping book. From there, you will be fully able to make your own decisions. What's right for one is not for another, but this book will give you the info to make the make/buy/kit decision for yourself.

Marta is correct, however- making one means making more. I now own five and am only paused long enough to let the VISA cool down...

papa john
05-11-2006, 22:04
I have an extra speer hammock made from a kit that I will sell you. Includes the hammock, straps and the bugnet. You'd have to get your own fly.

John

peter_pan
05-12-2006, 07:38
From a practical approach...if your living space is small and you do not readily have enough room to lay out these large lengths of material for cutting then Ed's kit could be a practical way to begin.

BTW, 3-4 years ago when we started into gear making cutting that $50 dollar piece of material always gave me pause.....Measure twice, cut once.

Pan

Rambler
05-13-2006, 10:20
Unfortunately, I've lost the link to the guy who made a slightly shorter "Speer Hammock" and added a second layer, making pockets to hold a pad or clothes underneath. This makes a great comfortable, warm hammock. A big advantage to the Speer models is that the mosquito netting can be removed and left at home during non-bug seasons. BTW If you hang stuff underneath, be sure to check out Jacks R Better, (aka Peter Pan of above post). Can't beat their light weight caribiners!

Just Jeff
05-13-2006, 10:37
I think that's Risk's (flyfisher's) two layer hammock at www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com)

CD Pritchard made one with a pad pocket rather than a full two layer hammock. The link has been taken down, but I have a picture here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

And my copy of Risk's design:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTwoLayerHammock.html

Hope these help.

Spock
05-13-2006, 15:04
Speer is a great guy and his hammocks and kits are just dandy. It's so easy to make hammocks that you may be in danger of becoming a hammock crank, going off on your own designs, preaching to the unconverted heathens who still sleep on the ground and so on. If that happens, just make an alcohol stove. It will become a new focus of your obsession.

funbun
05-16-2006, 12:50
I just made a Speer style hammock last week. I live in a very crampled apartment, and I was able to make one. Limited space is no problem. Just buy Ed's book and go from there.

The greatest value in the Speer hammock is making your own, even if you make 10 of them.

I made mine out of 4 ply supplex/taslan. Yeah, it's over kill, but it was only $5.25 per yard at OWF.

I'll be working on the bugnet and tarp this week. I never liked the idea of velcro on the Speer hammocks it seems that it would be veyr uncomfortable as a camp chair. So I'mm gonna make a bugnet to surround the whole hammock and a 12x10 tarp. Like I said I believe in overkill, lol.

Travel_Girl82
05-25-2006, 01:36
It's so easy to make hammocks that you may be in danger of becoming a hammock crank, going off on your own designs, preaching to the unconverted heathens who still sleep on the ground and so on. If that happens, just make an alcohol stove. It will become a new focus of your obsession.

Haha, yeah, I've already started on the alcohol stove. :D

funbun
05-25-2006, 09:31
Haha, yeah, I've already started on the alcohol stove. :D

For me it's making a new backpack and bicycle panniers. But yeah, once you start making your own gear it doesn't stop:o