PDA

View Full Version : I need you help

adh24
05-10-2006, 08:01
So my wife and I have been section hiking for over a year now. Have been doing day hikes for years. All have been great experiences and all. Our next hike is coming up the end of May, just a small three day two nighter. Well it just so happens to be my wife's "time of the month" if you know what I mean. First time that these two events are coinciding with each other. We were talking last night and she was wondering how she would "stay fresh". I figured thru hikers deal with this regularly. Any tips would help greatly. If you don't want to post PM's are fine as well. My apologies ahead of time if I offended anyone with my choice of words. If you feel uncomfortable about posting or PM'ing me I can pass along my wife's e-mail and you can contact her directly. Thanks

Skidsteer
05-10-2006, 08:35
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11624&highlight=time+month

sarbar
05-11-2006, 10:57
It isn't hard - you just plain and simple use tampons. That stops most of any issues. Take a bath every day if needed-jump in a creek or lake.
If she is like some women, her period will slow down or stop when hiking long days.

bambi
05-11-2006, 18:29
I don't know to some women but in my experienced if i have my monthly visit, i feel so irriratating and can't do things the way i used to. But i hven't experienced hiking with my period on, yet....i guess tampoon is a great idea.... since im sure you'll spend for a day or two hiking.. :)

docllamacoy
05-12-2006, 18:54
tampons and baby wipes or a nice dip in a stream

docllamacoy
05-12-2006, 18:58
I should add: applicator-less tampons (Natracare: http://www.natracare.com/products/feminine_products.htm and O.B. make them) were the best. Made it so much easier for packing out and less bulk in the pack.

hike138
05-17-2006, 17:09
The diva cup is another alternative: http://www.divacup.com

I use it at home as well as on the trail.

Erro
05-17-2006, 19:46
Disclaimer: These comments are from a male hiker.

A close friend of mine is a manager with Organon Pharmaceuticals. They have a product called the Nuva Ring ( http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp ) - a low dose hormonal contraceptive. But it's not a pill. (If you've not heard of it, follow the link or do a Google search.)

Anyway, here's the point: there are no pills to take, and of more important concern to long distance hikers is the fact that you don't have to have your period at all.

My friend with Organon, and all her female co-workers, use the Nuva Ring continuously. No break, no monthly period.

I've not the knowledge or will to debate anyone here on this matter. I'll just tell you what she told me: multiple studies indicate that a monthly cycle is not necessary. In fact, birth control pills have a week's worth of placebos more for marketing than health purposes. Apparently many ladies would have trouble trusting a product that promised "no more periods." So, the birth control products all allow for what most feel is a natural cycle. (In fact the Nuva Ring directions say to remove it for a week at a time to have your period.)

But the point is, you don't have to. A single Nuva Ring is effective for 45 days. Just switch it every 30 days and hike on! Pack weight? Well, I'd guess about 5 grams. If you have a jelly bracelet from the '80s hidden away with those old parachute pants, throw it on a digital scale to get an idea...

(Please take my comments with a grain of salt - I'm only passing on what my friend has told me. If you disagree with this advice I will not argue with you. Google it and decide for yourself.)

Just my $.02...

Respectfully,

-Erro

ZZXF
05-17-2006, 20:18
There are lots of great alternatives to dealing with your period while hiking, many of which can and often do carry over into every day life. I've chosen the Keeper Cup because it seems to strike the best balance in convenience, health, safety, cost, and environmental friendliness (I'd imagine the Diva Cup would be good too, but I've never tried it). I use it as my primary method both on and off the trail.

However, I would caution someone against trying a new method while hiking. It's really best to try it at least once at home first so you know if it will work out for you. Many of the suggestions, whether they be a reusable cup or medicinal, take some getting used to or take some time to become effective. So, I would recommend that your wife use whatever method she is most comfortable with currently. Bring an opaque bag to pack out the trash (opaque for her privacy), a small bar of natural biodegradeable soap, and a small pack towel. Before bed, go off into the woods with a tub or bottle of water and wash the nether regions (I do this anyway, period or no period, because it makes me feel so much better). If things need changing during the day, just plan on packing a bit more water for hand rinsing and a bit of extra toilet paper.

Then, after you get back, have your wife experiment with new ideas in the comfort of your home.

sarbar
05-22-2006, 10:34
Disclaimer: These comments are from a male hiker.

A close friend of mine is a manager with Organon Pharmaceuticals. They have a product called the Nuva Ring ( http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp ) - a low dose hormonal contraceptive. But it's not a pill. (If you've not heard of it, follow the link or do a Google search.)

Anyway, here's the point: there are no pills to take, and of more important concern to long distance hikers is the fact that you don't have to have your period at all.

My friend with Organon, and all her female co-workers, use the Nuva Ring continuously. No break, no monthly period.

I've not the knowledge or will to debate anyone here on this matter. I'll just tell you what she told me: multiple studies indicate that a monthly cycle is not necessary. In fact, birth control pills have a week's worth of placebos more for marketing than health purposes. Apparently many ladies would have trouble trusting a product that promised "no more periods." So, the birth control products all allow for what most feel is a natural cycle. (In fact the Nuva Ring directions say to remove it for a week at a time to have your period.)

But the point is, you don't have to. A single Nuva Ring is effective for 45 days. Just switch it every 30 days and hike on! Pack weight? Well, I'd guess about 5 grams. If you have a jelly bracelet from the '80s hidden away with those old parachute pants, throw it on a digital scale to get an idea...

(Please take my comments with a grain of salt - I'm only passing on what my friend has told me. If you disagree with this advice I will not argue with you. Google it and decide for yourself.)

Just my $.02...

Respectfully,

-Erro

Warning: if you amoke, are in your late 30's or have high blood pressure the above is not a good choice :( BC hormones of any type, be it a ring, pills or implants carry serious risks with them. For me, the risks were never worth it.
I swear I am the only female out here that could care less about having a period in the wilds. I have been having one for 2/3rds of my life at this point, she is like an old friend at this point. I missed her when I was pregnant with my son :rolleyes: Maybe it is because I am most comfortable being outside, and that cleanliness isn't my biggest issue when hiking, but the whole period when hiking just has meant bringing another garbage bag and some more tp.
My best answer is to just plan trips around your period, most periods are like clockwork. I do that at points-I can lay out when my periods will be, for even 6 months ahead.