PDA

View Full Version : What to do with all your AT photos

Riddick
05-10-2006, 08:23
Hey all,
Since there are quite a few photography gurus / amateurs here on the site I thought I'd pass along a cool program for you to mess around with.

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

It creates a mosaic image of one main image from many other images by taking the average color and brightness of the smaller individual pictures. I think it's free as well. I messed with it a couple of years ago but haven't done much with it since. It's very simple, just pick the main picture to make a mosaic out of, then direct the program to your image directory and tell it how many images to use and let it go.

I thought it would be cool to create a large AT logo out of much smaller AT trail/people images.

Hope someone tries it, I think I'll try something again.

MacGyver2005
05-10-2006, 08:32
That is awesome! Thanks, I will definitely be putting that to use.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Footslogger
05-10-2006, 08:39
Get your hands on "ProShow Gold" (free download - also available for purchase) and create a DVD with music. Much more fun to watch than just paging through dozens of shots. I'm in the process of doing the same thing myself now (finally) with the shots from my 2003 thru.

'Slogger

Kerosene
05-10-2006, 08:46
The photo-mosaic utility looks really cool. I hope to sit down with my teenage daughter and learn how to use it this weekend. Thanks for the link, Riddick!

Programbo
05-10-2006, 22:26
Whatever you do make multiple copies and store them scattered places...I had 100`s of photos of all my hikes and trips out west from all thru the 70`s...I had all my junk stored in my younger brothers apartment (He had accomapnied me on a bunch of hikes) when I took the Greyhound to SF to seek work and he ended up getting evicted from his apartment and I lost all my photos..I think I have like 3 let of that entire period :(

schmuttis
05-12-2006, 09:24
If you would like to see your pictures on the internet, we always accept submissions for our website: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org and will give you credit.

schda
05-12-2006, 15:32
I hope you don't think this is a plug, but the website http://www.mypublisher.com does some great work. It's a bit expensive though so I'd suggest waiting for the 50% off sale they usually have every few months.

I originally put together a book for my dad on Father's Day. It was of a trip we took to Disney World where my brother and I ran a marathon and a half-marathon respectively. We had a great time and took plenty of pictures. My dad though whenever we get pictures demands that we put captions and descriptions with the pictures so he can show them off to people. Well I bought the 8x10 book and put pictures and captions in and it turned out very nice. So nice that I went back and put together some pictures of an England/Ireland trip I had take a few years back and made a book of just full color 8x10s. Both times the books turned out excellent in quality and were shipper fairly quickly.

As an added opinion when I did receive my England/Ireland book there were a couple extra pages inside with someone else's pictures in the middle, funny enough they were of someone else's Ireland trip :) . I contacted the company and within a week I had a replacement book (I gave the misprint to my brother who took the trip with me).

Based on my experiences I'd definately do business with them again, and I hope they are around when I do my AT hike, I'll probably end up with 5 or 6 books worth of pictures :) .

simplehiker
05-16-2006, 00:19
I like to use iPhoto and create photo books of my longer and more memorable hikes. They are a bit expensive but they are very high quality and long lasting. They would also make great gifts to people that help you out on your hike.

I also wish more hikers used flickr.com. They tagging system is crazy useful. Imagine if when ever you wanted some picture like info on the trail be it a person, hostel or location you could just bring it up on flickr.