PDA

View Full Version : Need help with setting up my tent!

mindi
05-10-2006, 14:05
Okay, so I couldn't wait to set up my new Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo Enhanced. I've been outside for ages, I'm drenched in sweat (probably not a great idea to try it in the middle of the day) and it still doesn't seem like it's set up right. I can't seem to get the hang of it no matter what I do. The stakes keep popping out of the ground, the front looks saggy, the hiking pole won't stay up, and the directions say that the canopy is supposed to be 4-5" off the ground all the way around, and it's not even close. Plus I already tore a tiny hole in the vestibule!! :(
... I looked on the website but the Shelter Setup FAQ is 'in progress'. I feel like the biggest moron!! Please help!! I could also use some advice on seam sealing it and how to store it (should I fold it and put it back in its little bag, or just wad it up?)
:o Mindi

Two Speed
05-10-2006, 14:09
Lots of info here on WB; just do a search for "Lunar" in the title only and you should find plenty of tips. FWIW it took a couple of set ups for me to get the picture.

Footslogger
05-10-2006, 14:35
Mindi ...I've got the Lunar Solo-e and here's how I set it up.

First off, lay out the tent flat on the ground and stake out the 5 lines (side and rear). Extend the lines when you pound in the stakes but don't make them super tight at this point.

Now, walk around the front and pick up the tent near the front vent panel. Take your hiking pole (already adjusted to the correct height - around 44", I think it is) and insert the tip into the grommet and then stand it up straight.

Last, take the front guyline and walk it out in front of the tent a comfortable distance (enough to make it taut but still allow the fly to close over it).

All that's necessary (or should be at this point) is to walk around the tent and adjust the tension on the other 5 lines. If you have those stakes properly spaced (in other words, directly out from where the lines attach to the tent) then with minor tensioning the tent ought to get pretty tight.

One final thing you might try, provided there are surrounding trees, is to attach some light weight line to the tie out loops on the backside of the tent and walk them out and fasten them to a tree branch. This will pull out the rear/side of the tent and give you a little more clearance inside for sitting up moving around.

Hope that helps. The Lunar Solo-e is a sweet tent and about the easiest shelter to set up that I've ever owned.

If you have any more specific questions/problems just shoot me a note and I'll try and help.

'Slogger

RadioFreq
05-10-2006, 16:05
I could also use some advice on seam sealing it and how to store it (should I fold it and put it back in its little bag, or just wad it up?)
:o Mindi

As for storing the tent, just stuff it! :eek: No, seriously, folding it the same way every time creates a crease which weakens the fabric and its water
repellent abilities....or so I've been told. And always make sure it's totally dry before storing it...but you probably already knew that.

mindi
05-10-2006, 16:59
Thanks guys!! If anyone else has any more tips, I'm all ears. Have to wait to try setting it up again as it looks like rain right now and I haven't sealed it yet. I'll let you know how my next try goes..
:)

Footslogger
05-10-2006, 17:04
Mindi, as far as seam sealing goes ...here's what I did

Laid out the tent as flat as possible. Mixed some regular GE clear silicon seal with mineral spirits to thin it out a bit. Then took one of those wooden handle foam paint brushes and ran the tip right into/along the seam. Did one seam at a time and let it set. The tent has a few too many angles to do all the seams at once. If you try to do them all the tent will probably end up sticking to itself and some point and you'll get silicon all over it.

Oh yeah ...and I sealed the seams from the OUTSIDE of the tent. Have had it out in several rain storms and no leaks yet.

'Slogger

mindi
05-10-2006, 17:31
Thanks for the info on seam-sealing. I wasn't sure about mixing it with mineral spirits or not (I bought the stuff that is recommended on the site.) I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to talc the seams after sealing before you wad it up again to keep it from sticking together. Good idea?
One of the problems I think I'm having after doing some searches on here is that I think that my tent stakes might be too short. So after I try setting it up a few more times, I may order some longer ones if it still seems like they're too short. The other problem I'm having is that the tip of my hiking pole does not fit into the grommet. I have a pair of cheapo Life-Link poles, (which work great for the price as far as walking) but the tips must be different than other brands of poles. So I am stuck sort of sticking the whole loop over the tip instead of using the grommet. I'm wondering if maybe that is why I'm having trouble keeping the pole standing and the doorway taut. Also, any suggestions for how to fix the little tear I made in the vestibule top? When I was trying to fit the grommet over the hiking pole tip, I didn't have the plastic cap on, and it tore a little slit :(...I doubt it is anything that is going to cause a major problem, but I'm mostly worried about it getting bigger.
Thanks again, everyone!
:) Mindi

Skidsteer
05-10-2006, 17:40
Also, any suggestions for how to fix the little tear I made in the vestibule top? When I was trying to fit the grommet over the hiking pole tip, I didn't have the plastic cap on, and it tore a little slit :(...I doubt it is anything that is going to cause a major problem, but I'm mostly worried about it getting bigger.
Thanks again, everyone!
:) Mindi

You can sew it shut with a needle and thread....then seam-seal with the rest of the tent. :)

Footslogger
05-10-2006, 17:51
[quote=mindi]Thanks for the info on seam-sealing. I wasn't sure about mixing it with mineral spirits or not (I bought the stuff that is recommended on the site.) I also read somewhere that it's a good idea to talc the seams after sealing before you wad it up again to keep it from sticking together. Good idea?
===================
Never have used talc or anything else on the seams after sealing. They'll always be a tad tacky ...just the nature of silicon. As far as the mixing goes, if you bought Silnet you can use it right out of the tube. I was talking about using regular GE Silicon from the hardware store. Just play with it for a while on a test surface (other than your tent) using that foam brush I mentioned. Get used to how much you need and how far it spreads before you begin applying it to the tent.
=====================
One of the problems I think I'm having after doing some searches on here is that I think that my tent stakes might be too short. So after I try setting it up a few more times, I may order some longer ones if it still seems like they're too short.
=======================
Stakes that are 6" long should work fine, unless you're sinking them into really soft ground. Don't push them straight into the ground. Lean them away from the tent a bit and then sink them.
=====================
The other problem I'm having is that the tip of my hiking pole does not fit into the grommet. I have a pair of cheapo Life-Link poles, (which work great for the price as far as walking) but the tips must be different than other brands of poles. So I am stuck sort of sticking the whole loop over the tip instead of using the grommet. I'm wondering if maybe that is why I'm having trouble keeping the pole standing and the doorway taut.
=====================
Tough call, since you already own those poles. If it was me I'd go ahead and invest the $50 - $60 in a pair of Komperdells that have a more pointed tip. If the pole is not lodged firmly into the gromet I would imagine that the tent might not be very stable.
====================
Also, any suggestions for how to fix the little tear I made in the vestibule top? When I was trying to fit the grommet over the hiking pole tip, I didn't have the plastic cap on, and it tore a little slit :(...I doubt it is anything that is going to cause a major problem, but I'm mostly worried about it getting bigger.
=======================
Get a small piece of silnylon and use the seam sealing stuff (Silnet) to paste it in place. I would actually go one step further and tell you to get 2 small pieces of the silnylon and paste one one each side of the tent material.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
05-10-2006, 19:08
As far as the mixing goes, if you bought Silnet you can use it right out of the tube. I was talking about using regular GE Silicon from the hardware store.
Although Silnet is not as viscous as GE Silicon, I found diluting Silnet somewhat made it a little easier for me to apply.

I also found applying some tension to the seams, which may be difficult with a tent, made application of the silicon easier.

Fiddler
05-10-2006, 20:12
One of the problems I think I'm having after doing some searches on here is that I think that my tent stakes might be too short. So after I try setting it up a few more times, I may order some longer ones if it still seems like they're too short. :) Mindi
Go to a Home Depot or some other building supply store and take a look at the aluminum gutter nails. They're a half-ounce or less, strong, and cost 50 cents or less each. And carry a spare on the trail, you will always loose one if you don't have a spare.